PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha R1 Buggy Cooling Options

Linden1234321
05-28-2016, 11:35 PM
I have an 06' Yamaha R1 engine going in my buggy. I am wodinering if the stock rad and fan will be enough to keep the engine cool and avoid overheating.

It will be a single seat buggy and It will be used in local trails and out by my Uncles farm land.

I dont want to buy a new rad, so I would like to use the stock set up. Although, if I would need a new cooling set up, what would be the best way to go? Thanks Guys!

Deranged
05-29-2016, 12:32 PM
I have had good luck with a Honda Civic radiator off of ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-92-00-HONDA-CIVIC-EG-EK-DEL-SOL-INTEGRA-2-ROW-ALUMINUM-RADIATOR-SHROUD-FAN-/231898175645?fits=Make%3AHonda%7CModel%3ACivic&hash=item35fe35589d:g:ehoAAOSwAvJW~ebm&vxp=mtr

For the price, with a fan, and the added cooling for a buggy, you can't beat it. The engine will be working harder, pushing the buggy, and you won't be going at highway speeds to keep the stock rad cool enough.

Justin

Linden1234321
05-29-2016, 02:51 PM
Okay, awesome. So that is the dual core rad then right? Will the bikes water pump have enough power to pump the coolant through that rad? Also, when plumping it in, do you just hook up the stock hoses to the new civic rad and go? Or is there some different routing needed? Thanks a lot !

mrniceguy
05-29-2016, 07:19 PM
Plumbing will depend on your setup in the buggy. Where are you located? Whats the weather like?

Linden1234321
05-30-2016, 03:02 AM
I am located in northern Alberta, Canada. We get the odd warm days up to about 30 degrees celcius, but it averages to be about 15-20 degrees most the summer. I was really hoping to use the stock rad and mount it up high in the buggy and watch temp guage. Would it be worth trying it out, seeing how it runs. Then, if the engine is having problems staying cool, switch out the rads later on?

Deranged
05-31-2016, 01:05 PM
I would give it a shot with the stock one. I am thinking sand. LOL That will heat things up quick.

Linden1234321
06-01-2016, 02:37 AM
I would give it a shot with the stock one. I am thinking sand. LOL That will heat things up quick.

I think that's what ill do. I will be riding some sand, but it will not be too frequently. Ill give it a shot and see how it goes. Now to decide on drive axles........

Beruba
06-01-2016, 03:21 PM
I have 2 of those civic rad mounted behind the fire wall on my buggy and it work find.
http://www.minibuggy.net/forum/ss1000-two-seat-race-buggy/19985-protolite-ss-1000-a-4.html
Where are you located in northern Alberta I'm located in Fort mac. Well will be relocated in fort mac this Friday LOL.

Linden1234321
06-01-2016, 03:45 PM
Does the engine seem to have enough power to pump the coolant through both of them?

Very nice to hear people are returning to Fort Mac! Best of luck. I am located in Grande Prairie.

Beruba
06-02-2016, 02:17 PM
Yes it push to its own suction so its not an issue. make sure you install a coolant overflow reservoir.
It will be nice to go home. When I left on may 3rd I could see flames [smilie=unsure.gif] from my house the fire fighter were setting up on my street. Driving down hiway 63 all I was thinking is that I would come back to a leveled house & garage. My buggy is not insured for fire that would have been bad. felt good to know that it still standing with no damage.

Linden1234321
06-02-2016, 11:24 PM
Okay, yes that makes sense.

I could imagine. Wow, the scare of the unknown leaving your home alone with a fire like that would be something else. I seen a few videos of families driving down the highway after being evacuated and it was breath taking to see the size of flames around and over the highway. That is good news, and would have been quite the relief when you found out your house and garage are still standing.