PDA

View Full Version : Need help fixing new a UTV roll cage

stress
11-01-2015, 09:14 PM
I unbolted the rollcage on a new UTV and when I pulled the bolts out of the front attachments the cage pull a apart. The cage had a lot of preload in it. I trying to figure out the best way to remove this preload. The only thing I can think of is to bolt every back together and go up about 1.5 to 2 foot way from this and heating the cage red hot and let it cool. I know this a less that idea way to do it. I am in a wheelchair so building a new cage is something more than what I can handle .

I have a MIG and oxy acetyl torch and metal cutting saws.

I do not like the idea of stressing the main frame with this misalignment of the rollcage

http://www.minibuggy.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32560&stc=1&d=1446437459

http://www.minibuggy.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32561&stc=1&d=1446437459

plkracer
11-01-2015, 10:40 PM
Do I spy a new YXZ?

I wouldn't touch it. There isn't nearly as much structure on the roll bar as there is in the main frame. There is a pretty good triangle just below that mount on the chassis.

millbilly
11-02-2015, 01:00 AM
Looks like a YXZ, I would loosen all bolts.
Then tighten bolts after main roll bar is tighten.
Rose red will not help in a roll over.

Bullnerd
11-02-2015, 05:29 AM
Definitely the Yami.

Why unbolt it in the first place?

Congrats!

LIDUNO
11-02-2015, 06:01 AM
If it really bothers you, just add a spacer to each side.

CARLRIDDLE
11-02-2015, 08:07 AM
Just like me, I have to take everything apart just to see too! LOL

I'd just use a clamp or ratchet strap to align holes and bolt it back. Wouldn't heat it. Now if your thinking aftermarket cage now that I'm sure we can help with.

Rat4020
11-02-2015, 08:21 AM
Wrap duck tape around the tubes about a good ft up so ya dont mess the paint up on the tubes that are tweeked a bit and find a pipe to slide over and tweek it back

Wheels
11-02-2015, 11:58 AM
I figured Yamaha would have better QA than that. interesting. I'd probably just build a new cage if it's in your budget.

K-fab
11-02-2015, 12:23 PM
I figured Yamaha would have better QA than that. interesting. I'd probably just build a new cage if it's in your budget.I thought the same thing. Then again, I've heard quite a few rumors that it's a Wildcat frame adaptation, so if it's an Arctic Cat build, I'd not be surprised one bit.

Polaris' QA is similar to what the pix show too.

rgvkid
11-02-2015, 02:10 PM
I'd leave the preload and just use better quality hardware until you can rebuild a new cage.
If you use too much heat it may make the part you heated brittle.

Use ratchet tie downs wrapped around each pillar to compress it back to bolt alignment. Put a Thin shim or thin flat washer between one side of the mounting point and reassemble to torque specs.

Then add a cross bar above the dash connecting the pillars on each side. Welded or Clamped.
The cross bar will keep the pillars closer together.
Remove the thin washers on the one side and then retorque all the mounting hardware.

plkracer
11-02-2015, 02:27 PM
I thought the same thing. Then again, I've heard quite a few rumors that it's a Wildcat frame adaptation, so if it's an Arctic Cat build, I'd not be surprised one bit.

Polaris' QA is similar to what the pix show too.

We pulled the cage off of an rzr to replace it with a race cage and it sprung 6 inches in one corner. I think all of the manufacturers are the same. The roll cage isnt very strong by itself.

Bullnerd
11-02-2015, 04:12 PM
I know what to do, put it back together the way it came...and ride that FU!!ER!

BorntoBraaap
11-02-2015, 06:15 PM
That is the correct answer../\ /\ /\ /\ /\

stress
11-02-2015, 06:36 PM
Its a Yamaha . I am converting it to hand controls. I am working of trying to make a bar for the 5 point harness for the shoulders. The bar in the Yamaha roll cage is about 8 inches above my shoulders. I needed to get the plastic cargo bed panel out of the Yamaha to find a location for a shoulder belt bar to be around 3 inches below my shoulder. The only way I could the plastic cargo panel out of the Yamaha was to remove the roll cage.

I am posting a step by step tear down of the Yamaha at the link below
Tearing Down my YXZ1000 to mount five point harness - Yamaha YXZ 1000R Forum (http://www.yxzowners.com/forum/yxz-1000r-chassis-body/1977-tearing-down-my-yxz1000-mount-five-point-harness.html)
If you want to see a Yamaha with no plastic there are many pictures. I trying to come up with a place to locate a shoulder belt bar. If have any comment about my bar location feel free to make comments in this post on minibuggy.net

Bullnerd
11-02-2015, 08:08 PM
I had a feeling it was something to do with hand controls.

Keep us posted Stress, and again, congrats on your new ride.

mech_head6
11-08-2015, 11:14 AM
I thought the same thing. Then again, I've heard quite a few rumors that it's a Wildcat frame adaptation, so if it's an Arctic Cat build, I'd not be surprised one bit.

FYI - the Yamaha and the AC UTVs are not tied at all. They each design and manufacture their own machines.

K-fab
11-08-2015, 05:06 PM
FYI - the Yamaha and the AC UTVs are not tied at all. They each design and manufacture their own machines.

Good to know. [smilie=bow.gif]