PDA

View Full Version : Machined for 2" OD bearing tube

herman pahls
10-26-2015, 02:07 PM
30 years ago I was able purchase Steel tube around 4-5" long that was machined at each to press in a 2" OD bearing with a 1" ID that I use for the rear suspension. I have googled and searched go kart supply sites and have not had success finding these for 2" OD.
BMI karts has them for building front steering spindles but for smaller OD bearings.
Please let me know if these are still available which would be much less expensive than having them custom made by a machine shop.
Thanks
Herman

dunerocket
10-27-2015, 10:06 AM
If you know what you want, dimension wise, I'm sure someone here can help you out. It's a simple lathe op and I'd be happy to do it for the cost of the material and shipping.

You could buy the material online and have it shipped to whomever you decide to work with, or have them source material.

This place is a little pricey, but convenient.

Order Mild Steel A513 Tube in Small Quantities at OnlineMetals.com (http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=15557&step=4&showunits=inches&id=283&top_cat=197)

thenxtEMIG
10-27-2015, 11:07 AM
I use a place up here in MN. not sure how much shipping is but its much cheaper than the site dunerocket posed.

ASTM A513 1020 Drawn Over Mandrel (DOM) Steel Round Tube | Buy Online | Cut to Size | No Minimum Order (http://www.discountsteel.com/items/DrawnOverMandrel_DOM_Steel_Round_Tube.cfm?item_id= 200&size_no=203&pieceLength=cut&len_ft=2&len_in=0&len_fraction=0&pieceCutType=41%7C3&itemComments=&qty=1)

Kuma
10-27-2015, 01:43 PM
just a thought but you may be able to use a bearing carrier from a quad, they are made like a cam for chain adjustment, you would then still need a piece of tubing that that fits in, slit it and make it so it can be tightened.

herman pahls
10-27-2015, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the replies and offer to machine the pieces.
I have sources to get the machining done.
The cost is usually way less if it is available on a shelf somewhere.
I have a small worn out metal lathe which is not up to the task so it is time to buy a bigger one.

herman pahls
10-27-2015, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and the offer to do the machining.
I have several machining options nearby.
It often costs much less if the product is on a shelf somewhere.
It is time to purchase a bigger metal lathe

herman pahls
10-31-2015, 11:01 PM
I machined the bearing tubes on my 70 year old 9" Southbend lathe that I paid $200 for.
A great example of getting what you pay for.
It is worn out.
Dial in to take off .005" and it only takes off .002" and the next time it will ruin the piece taking off .010".
I started shopping Jet and Bolton metal lathes.
I would like to have powered cross feed.
Any suggestions as to which models to buy in the $2000-$3000 range?
Any ideas on the combo lathe/milling machines?

herman pahls
10-31-2015, 11:01 PM
I machined the bearing tubes on my 70 year old 9" Southbend lathe that I paid $200 for.
A great example of getting what you pay for.
It is worn out.
Dial in to take off .005" and it only takes off .002" and the next time it will ruin the piece taking off .010".
I started shopping Jet and Bolton metal lathes.
I would like to have powered cross feed.
Any suggestions as to which models to buy in the $2000-$3000 range?
Any ideas on the combo lathe/milling machines?

BorntoBraaap
11-01-2015, 08:14 AM
I just went through this and got myself a grizzly. Lots of people will say ..china crap, find an old american made one around town for cheeap. that never happened. I found some junk and people wanted way to much for a lathe you cant get parts for anymore. Most were to big to move and to expensive. I had to get it in my basement so yea.. Of course if you can find one thats not worn out/not to pricey/complete get it..duh, but the jet and the grizzlys are the best bang for the buck in that price range if you dont want to mess with all the BS that comes with old worn out units.

Its a hobby level lathe but this is what I got ..
Shop our G4002 - 12" x 24" Gear-Head, Cam Lock Spindle, Gap Bed Lathe at Grizzly.com (http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-x-24-Gear-Head-Cam-Lock-Spindle-Gap-Bed-Lathe/G4002)
It has feed for the length and cross feed, threading, three jaw and four jaw chuck and you can get parts. It works for what I need and opened up all kinds of directions to go with my build.

I cant speak to longevity as I havent put many hours on it and Im not an experienced lathe machinist (yea no kidding, I just bought a grizzly ) but I mean come on its 2600.00 bucks new and it work great for me and the things im doing.
Hope that helps.

herman pahls
11-01-2015, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the Grizzly metal lathe idea.
I did not know they were an option.
I like some of the features of your 4002 better than what I found in the Jet lathes in the same price range.
Your experience with used lathes was the same I experienced.
Thanks again
Herman