PDA

View Full Version : Who here races their mini buggy?

EB313
06-14-2015, 12:36 PM
Just wanted to get some insight into the world of desert racing these things. What classes are there besides 3000? I am looking into building a buggy (the Rorty R16 Shotgun) is at the top of the list for now.
I saw a guy that raced one in class 3000 (video attached), does anyone know who it is...rhetorical question since many of you probably do. I was curious about his motor choice and if it is possible to build it 100% from plans like the 82s.
I also wanted to find more folks in Texas, if I do get into this project I would want to hook up and go riding....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjPbTHPXJpo

Deranged
06-14-2015, 01:12 PM
I THINK that is Stanafast's old shotty. The guy that bought it painted it silver, with a shark mouth on the side. Ill try and dig up a picture.

Justin

Bullnerd
06-14-2015, 01:33 PM
Standfast and those two brothers from mexico are the only two I can think of.

But we have some guys here that can definitely give you some tips on racing.

I think there are a few changes they made to beef up some stuff for racing.

Deranged
06-14-2015, 01:47 PM
The car in the video has got to be the one on Rorty's site. here is the link to it. R16 Shotgun II | Rorty (http://rorty.net/r16-shotgun-ii-0) It's the first car in the photo's....the other one is my old car...LOL

Justin

EB313
06-14-2015, 02:55 PM
Yea, that's the one from Rorty's site. I would like to get the skinny on the motor he chose, 2.2 or 2.4 exited?

EB313
06-14-2015, 03:44 PM
Ecotec

Deranged
06-14-2015, 04:33 PM
http://www.minibuggy.net/forum/projects-progress/6371-shotgun-build.html

Here is the complete build for you. A really nice build if you ask me.

Justin

EB313
06-14-2015, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the build thread link. I started reading the Yellow Dog Racing build page of their Class 3000 car.

The car, with a big bike motor, wouldn't qualify for any class in BITD, SCORE or any other sanctioning body's classes would it? It would also be an almost impossibility to get something like this registered if you wanted to go that direction.

Sorry for the wide array of questions, I just really want to build something and after I finish my chopper I will want to start on this, well after I sell the thing for some seed money to get it going. I started riding Harleys when I stopped riding/racing motocross because I thought it would scratch that inner itch but it wasn't the two wheels that I missed as bad as it was the go-fast-in-the-dirt......

flyerrider
06-14-2015, 07:12 PM
Casey from BITD MIGHT approve it for 10. I believe he approved John's MC10 for 10. That is a mega competitive class now though. It is also the fastest growing class in desert racing now that sealed ecotecs are legal. The cars are super fast and many top drivers from other classes have been moving to 10 for the competition and "cheaper" prep cost than many of the other limited and unlimited classes. Seeing a 10 in the top 10 overall isn't uncommon. That's running against trophy trucks, 6100s, and Class 1s to give you an idea how fast they are. Build a VERY strong rear bumper...

People have tried to start various forms of classes for minis. They all seem to fizzle out. Minis can be very fast if designed and build for the desert. My single seater is easily as fast as a 5U or 12 car even with its tiny 600. Sportsman is probably the only class that a mini would easily be allowed. You will be racing against very fast 4 seaters and other former heavy hitter cars.

I wish someone would make an unlimited UTV class. That's where we would really be competitive. Minis and full kill race UTVs are identical in almost all regards other than the stock frame they need to use and the bodywork.

EB313
06-14-2015, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the info. Yea, I read that the class 10 is a really stacked field....and ultra competitive. One thing I saw said something like "if you want to race for the win as a beginner, class 10 ain't for you".
I wouldn't expect to win as a beginner [in any class] but I would give it a good shot. I really miss the camaraderie of bring at the track racing and riding MX, everyone helping each other out and all.....until the gate drops, lol.
I guess there just aren't enough people with the desire to race that want to run the mini buggys.....but they will spend 40 grand on a race ready UTV? I guess Polaris and Can-Am pony enough in contingencies for the amateurs to chase? Don't get me wrong, they look like a blast but when you can build [or buy] a car with more travel and to your specs...cheaper, I would rather go that direction. I emailed back and forth with Trey Palreiro from Texas Desert Racing Association (TDRA) and it doesn't seem as if they had any classes for the mini buggys. As far as the Texas racing goes, it would be cool to see a Terlingua 250.....with the history of that area and all the awesome terrain, and the mountains there.
I guess I'll order some plans for the Shotgun and start planning it out, never know what'll happen between now and when I get it finished up.....

flyerrider
06-14-2015, 09:34 PM
Yup. I had a pro class UTV driver/owner check out my current project and he was floored when I told him how much I had into it. He has at least 60k into his current car and has yet to do anything with the motor. I will have less than half that in my car and there will be absolutely no comparison in speed and capability. I have a feeling I'll be shifting into third when he's bouncing off the rev limiter :D

EB313
06-14-2015, 10:29 PM
So, what's the benefit to the MC motor vs the 2.2 or 2.4 Ecotec and CVT? And where do you get the CVT? I'm still trying to figure all this out and get a game plan, so I don't end up with something I can't race.....I may never but I'd hate to build it and figure out that that I can't get into any class.

Deranged
06-14-2015, 11:07 PM
Micro-Belmont right here in Grand Rapids Michigan, and I think the other is a guy named Neal, fro ATV racing. I THINK that is the name of the second place for the CVT. As for the benefit, no chains... That was the Achilles tendon so to speak with the race crowd. In my Shotgun, I had no heat related issues in the chain at all. But, I wasn't racing either. Standfast killed chains all the time in his 2nd build he did.

Justin

K-fab
06-15-2015, 12:47 AM
Build the car to BITD/SCORE specs - it's what I did with the 10Dez.

Now go do the smart thing and start grass roots racing - the group out in West Texas, MDR, SNORE, etc (and do these guys still exist? Been out of it a while...). Go play with the smaller groups and learn how to race. Took me a while. First race was 8 miles before the car went kaput. Learn how to drive so you bring the car home, not terrorize everything and destroy the car. Once again, took me a while.

You'll have a blast and spend a lot less $$$. I think it was something like 900 bucks when I did the BITD Class 10 (or what ever Casey called it - 3000?). Whiplash (no longer around) was 150 to enter.

Big races require more people, more stuff, more, more. Smaller groups usually do loops and have smaller areas to worry about having to go find someone in.

---- breaking here - dinner time! ----

I'll be back - and answer that PM you sent me too - although you're getting that info right now. [smilie=thumbs_up.g:

Vorra65
06-15-2015, 01:24 PM
I've talked to the people that run VORRA here in Sac.

Their tech guy said more than likely I"d be able to run 10 as well as sportsman.

Short-course to start with, then maybe some Dez stuff for me.

I wanna run that Wild West track in Sparks...............[smilie=shocker.gif]

EB313
06-15-2015, 06:31 PM
I heard back about racing in Texas Desert Racing Association (TDRA). Here is the email response:

Ed,

Depending on the motor we would put them in water cooled 4 cyl, or I am trying to develop a sportsman class as a catchall class.

K-fab
06-15-2015, 10:11 PM
That's exactly what you'd want.

If you want torque and grunt, then look into the Ecotec. If you're serious about racing in the bigger series, then go ahead and start out with one from Redline, as it'll be a sealed, race legal motor.

You can go CVT setup or you can do a trans for the Ecotec. It's a darned near bullet proof engine. Doesn't over rev (7,200), runs on cheap pump gas, is inexpensive to purchase, etc..

The Sportsman Class is a blast - sort of "run what ya brung" so you can either have your arse handed to you or get lucky and be the one doing the handing out.
It was a fun class in Whiplash.

EB313
06-15-2015, 10:48 PM
After seeing the prices of the used 1000cc bike motors I think I will go the ecotec route. I'll start out with a decent used motor, if and when the urge comes I'll get a new sealed one. I tried to find the transaxle for one but came up with mainly adapter plates for the bus transaxle set up. Read that that wasn't a solid route to goat all. I don't want you to have to explain it all to me but can you steer me to a shop/some shops that deal with the transaxles? CVT or shifter? I do like the idea of a bullet proof motor (if there is one, I have heard that a lot about the ecotec though), that only leaves about 23,742 things to worry about now.....

So, you think the Shotgun would be a good platform to start off on? I like the specs and it seems to fit in the 3000 class wheelbase/width. Even if I just run the sportsman's class, the option would still be there.

K-fab
06-15-2015, 10:52 PM
I think the R82/Eco would be a great combo.
Hit up bdkw1 or flyerrider on the transmission options for that engine.

I'm a CVT guy and can't tell you anything other than you have to shift the other transmissions and I hear reverse is tender in some of them???

Ecotec is sort of like the old Honda XR engine - you can just run 'em until they die and then you just add oil and run them even more (but it'll smoke).

Stone ax reliable for the most part.

flyerrider
06-16-2015, 12:04 AM
The transaxle is the ONLY reason why I didn't build my current car as a full kill ecotec powered class 10. Before you go on Mendeola's website, do yourself a HUGE favor and go buy a pair of adult diapers.

My choice for a transaxle would be a Mendeola LQ6 if I couldn't swing a buddy deal with Pat and Chris Weisman. The only reason for the choice in the Mendi over the sequential 6 speed Fortin would be rebuild cost. Fortins have better cases though. The new Alumicraft cars are all running the LQ6s and they are stacking up a pretty impressive resume

EB313
06-16-2015, 01:39 AM
What about options for a CVT? Those trannies are HIGH....

EB313
06-19-2015, 05:00 PM
A response from TORRA here in Texas....

If your vehicle has a full roll cage, a fuel cell, racing seat, 5 point harness, fire extinguishers and your wear an approved racing helmet and fire suit, TORRA will have a place for you.
Now, to be more specific, a home made or kit built UTV will need to be fairly close in track width and wheel base length to the RZR's and other factory UTVs to race in the 1900 class. If it were to be too outrageously wild we might have to talk about what other class it might better fit in.