PDA

View Full Version : help with Vanguard overhaul

waterwagen
11-24-2014, 09:57 AM
I am from Chile, South America and overhauling my Vanguard. My problem is that here it is very difficult to find any part for that engine and cannot find a place in the web where I can buy everything or have the parts sent to Chile.

Can anybody help me with this?

I am looking for

Piston kit 0,020
Gasket set (metal)
Rev kit

Any help will be appreciated!!

mech_head6
11-24-2014, 02:33 PM
I've never dealt with getting parts in Chile...

But this is the process I'd go through:

1. Locate dealer in Chile (Brigge dealer locater: Briggs & Stratton Dealers: Dealer Locator | Small Engine Repair & Parts (http://www.briggsandstratton.com/us/en/support/dealerlocator))
2. Request specific part numbers through dealer

Next questions.
1. Which model # engine (from fan housing)
2. Which gaskets do you need?
3. What RPM do you want to reach?

waterwagen
11-25-2014, 12:09 AM
Hi Mech

Have tried the dealer here but they dont have the parts in stock and the prices are higher than what I have seen in the web plus shipping and taxes.

My Vanguard is a 16hp, numbers are

Model 303447
Type 0348-02
Code 93102711

I want to bypass the governor and be able to reach 4500 rpm, rev kit just to have some peace of mind.

I have the original steel gaskets, want to use the same and mill the heads.

Thanks

mech_head6
11-25-2014, 10:15 AM
I'm sorry I can't help a whole lot with how to get parts to Chile. I've never dealt with it.

I have ordered some Briggs & Stratton (Vanguard) parts through Amazon.com, just type in the part number and see what ya get?

Parts you need:
- Head gaskets (Metal): 807986, qty 2
- Valve springs: 809374, qty 4
- Valve spring retainer & keepers: 844788, qty 4

Don't bother with the rev kit, just order the spring and retainer part numbers above. Stock pushrods are safe.

If you want to change the timing, just shave the stock key to allow shift of the flywheel. Shift it, then torque the flywheel nut in the position you want.

Model 38 camshaft is also a good upgrade for your model 30.

waterwagen
11-26-2014, 09:25 PM
Thanks Mech, will follow your recommendations, already have the spares in Ebay!

waterwagen
04-25-2015, 05:09 PM
Hi guys, have the engine running and more questions.

Changed pistons and rings (020 ), bypassed the governor, put 3mm copper shims under the springs (could not buy Mech recommendations, some Credit Card issue) and filed the key and it feels much better, specially direct throttle feel without the governor. after running for some time, took off the heads and shaved 040 from them, also did some porting of the intake and exhaust restrictions.

Its feeling great, incredible torque down low but no big change in RPM, cannot go over 4.000, just reaching 3900/4000, seems to start loosing power around 3.600rpm.

Did try bigger exhaust headers but very little change.

Can you tell me if this is normal? have read that stock engines ungoverned go to 4200 easily.

Want to try a bigger motorcycle carb or a small two bbl vertical carb from 650cc car engine, vacuum secondary. Stock carb seems to be way too small compared to engines of same size.

Xbird
04-26-2015, 01:21 AM
with any engine, once you pass peak hp point in the rpm curve, going beyond it rpm-wise is a waste (unless it's a manual and you want a little extra rpm to keep it in the sweet spot from shift to shift) and its hard for the engine under load to go much beyond.
At this point you're on the right track in looking at carb options. Likewise, consider mech's cam suggestion. if you work the exhaust and intake ports but don't do anything with fuel delivery and valve events, you really won't see much of a true increase in power, you might shift the curve and peak around some more than anything or even go backwards power-wise.

waterwagen
04-27-2015, 11:29 PM
thanks Xbird, you are right, big exit small intake, no sense.

Will go for the carb and see if I decide to go all the way to cam change,

rgvkid
09-20-2015, 07:48 PM
What kind of drive line are you running, is it CVT?
If it's CVT/Torque converter then you will have to tune the clutches to get the RPM's up in the range you want along with the bigger carb setup.
I had the same problem on my 35 Vanguard build, it wouldn't go past a certain RPM. A few of the members told me to play with the secondary clutch spring and Viola! Now I can get past 4500rpm. I'm still trying out a few different spring rates so that I can get past 4500 but stay below 6000.