PDA

View Full Version : Pretty cool Quad Kids Rail.

rgvkid
09-08-2014, 08:53 AM
A bit long of a wheel base for my taste but it came out pretty nice and looks like it does well in the dunes!
Looks like they just kept the whole Quad drivetrain.
If the front arms were built like a Taz Car Arms, then the front wheels can be pushed a bit Back keeping a shorter Wheel base to Wheel width Ratio.

kid sandrail - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEClInivX0k)

Duane
09-08-2014, 12:02 PM
I can't view. Unavailable. Would like to see it as I am looking for ideas for a kids buggy.

rgvkid
09-08-2014, 04:51 PM
Mmmmmm, let me try again.

What the Heck!!! I just watched it last night but now it says unavailable also on my end.
Oh well sorry about that.

I'll post some pics of kids buggies later that I have in my archives to make up for it.

darwinpayne2000
09-08-2014, 05:57 PM
It played fine for me. Maybe it was offline for a bit.

The first half of the video, where they show off the buggy, was a little to frenetic to get any detail, but it looks like they took the back half of an ATV and attached it to a two-seater frame. That's why it looks kinda long. It seems to work well, however.

rgvkid
09-08-2014, 06:06 PM
Oh Yah, it works for me now also.

Wait! I think it works on desktop but not on Mobile. I tried looking it up again on my mobile and it doesn't work. Must have desktop only settings on the video.

Yes it looks like a fairly simplistic way of mounting the Quad chassis and engine to a built mini front rail.
It does look like it keeps up pretty well. Like, I said if the wheels were set back a bit and maybe spacers or extended wider axle in the rear, it would make for a fairly nice budget Kids Buggy.

What kind of Travel numbers do Quads generally pull?
I think my goal for a kids buggy would be minimum of 10" front and back. Im not sure a direct Quad bolt on can pull 10"

I'm really anxious to get started on a kids kart! I think because it's a quicker turn around and a lot of the high speed aspects and clearances can be over looked a bit due to power to weight ratio.
But maybe I'm anxious because I want it to not only fit the kids, but me also!!!!

I think the only thing I'm debating on is a 2 seater or single. 2 seater may have a tilt if 1 larger kid or adult is riding. But I'm thinking of going with Max Airs to keep it on the budget end, so I can always bump up the psi on the heavy side.

I also like Martins Kid buggy Bench seat. I've been thinking of a way to be able to shift the steering wheel from center for single seater to side for double seater with the pull of a pin. But that would require more steering joints, and maybe steering wheel throttle and brake controls.

Duane
09-09-2014, 03:02 AM
Okay I got to see it on the desktop. Nice job and it looks like fun.

I am brain storming a very small buggy for 4-8 year olds. Like to go electric. What do you have in your archives for me rgvkid?

rgvkid
09-09-2014, 06:12 AM
Im not too Familiar on Electric, but I remembered thinking this one was pretty cool! If you click on the Uploaders name, I think he has a few more videos. It aint a K-1 Indoor Electric Racing Kart, But I wouldn't mind having one if I were 4 years old!
lifted power wheels - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mpZYGI9DDk)

Sick!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrdNxgcNlYA

WTF! Starter Motor! Sick Take off speed!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5lp3fP1WKo

I've seen a few other Tricked out Power wheels also. There starting to push the limits on those things.

I know they are making some crazy leaps in the compact electric motor technology. You might want to look into the MotoredBicycling forum. They have some electric bikes that get up to 80MPH!!!!

Bullnerd
09-09-2014, 01:08 PM
The Blue rhino is sweet! Kids dad must be a rock crawler? That suspension is done really nice. Sway bars? Kids showing some serious restraint by not trying to double that hill in the back yard!

There is a vid on YT somewhere of a little girls kart built by her dad that is done really well. The rear suspension is a really simple three link and he front looks like the tazcar style arms. I cant find it but the girls name is in the title.

BorntoBraaap
09-09-2014, 01:56 PM
Great pic of the girls with googles on in that first buggy.

Holy crap look at the left rear@ 1:32 on the "Electric Go kart" video. It might be time ditch the home depot wheels before he ends up under a parked car.

The last one sounds pretty good. Its a weird build for sure but it sounds great. Proper tires...well on the rear anyway.

rgvkid
09-09-2014, 05:12 PM
Got you covered Bull.
Theres a few Videos of this buggy. Definitely has a good amount of quality time into it.
Siennas mini sandrail - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDAt7IrsDEk)

Jersey and sienna in her mini sandrail - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHSVAyhf1cU)

Bullnerd
09-09-2014, 05:35 PM
Close, but that's not it. Don't think Id run the exhaust that close to the passengers!

This was an industrial engine and it was mounted to the swing arm.

rgvkid
09-10-2014, 12:23 AM
Hmmm, I thought I pretty much had seen all the kids Buggy's on YouTube. Let me go through my history and and like to see what pops up.

rgvkid
09-10-2014, 04:15 AM
Was this the one Bull? MrJonesFab has a few videos with it.
Couldn't really get a good perspective of how the rear works. Looks like the engine is Solid Mounted to the chassis

Off road go kart - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXQ7AnX7IHk&list=UUX_u5rCHFgjbfrJ2iQP3Ryg)

Heres a better image of the rear. This guy did a great job!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q5jbeIdsBQ

Bullnerd
09-10-2014, 09:23 AM
That's the one, your good.

mech_head6
09-10-2014, 09:58 AM
Was this the one Bull? MrJonesFab has a few videos with it.
Couldn't really get a good perspective of how the rear works. Looks like the engine is Solid Mounted to the chassis

This is the same engine that I have planned for the Cooler Cruiser. And I'm hoping that it can weigh ~100 lbs. [smilie=giddy.gif]

Duane
09-10-2014, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the postings rgvkid. Extensive archive you have there. Finishing the single seat 660 Raptor powered now then ultra small electric buggy for the Grandson. He is not walking yet so I have a chance to get it ready at the same time he is. Then I have a 6.5 Honda clone I got from Protodie to make the next step in this buggy driving career I envision for him. I hope he likes it!

rgvkid
09-10-2014, 04:56 PM
Jones Fabrication is the guy who built that little rail. I actually found him on Facebook and invited him to the site. He does some sick work at his place.
Hard to believe that little engine was pushing out 20hp! Amazing what these industrial engines can do.
I saw some more of his videos and I think that engine blew at some point, but it looked like he got good use out of it. I think he converted it to a single seater and his daughter was racing it in a local series and was dusting Trophy Karts!!!
Some of his other full size builds are pretty Awesome also! Great Aluminum work! Hopefully he'll chime in on the site.

Duane, with your skills, your grand kids are gonna have some trick toys to grow into!!!

Bullnerd
09-10-2014, 05:38 PM
Yeah that one is sweet rgvkid. I remember seeing it years ago but could never find it again, thanks. If you look close ,I'm pretty sure the engine is mounted to a small frame that is attached with one big rod end at the front and two lower rods on each side. The shocks and lower links are attached to "birdcages", similar to a micro sprint.

Turbolark
09-10-2014, 06:16 PM
I have known Shawn Jones for a number of years now. That little car works great. The motor is mounted to a cradle that moves up and down with the rear suspension. Not really what he wanted to do, but to package everything in a short wheelbase like the car is it is what needed to be done. The rear susp is a 3 link with the upper being a wishbone.

rgvkid
09-11-2014, 04:27 PM
Hows it going Turbo!
I just friended Jones on FB and he seems like a really nice guy with some great work coming out of his shop. Invited him onto the site so Hopefully he'll add some of his knowledge to some of our threads or post some of his stuff also.

poordad
09-11-2014, 08:55 PM
I found this a while ago and thought it would be great in an all rock climbing area

Honda Powered Kid Buggy! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGqJC2TQVxU)

rgvkid
09-15-2014, 02:04 AM
Thats Honda buggy is bad ass.
I saw the build on Pirate when it was first built. That kid did alot of Offroad Competitions in that thing.

Duane, Heres one for you to pull some Ideas from.
1987 Polaris Trail Boss 250 ATV Converted to Electric - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL25Uq2zXKg)

Duane
09-15-2014, 03:30 AM
Thanks. Looks like the throttle control is done right on this. Wish there was something about what motor he used with what voltage.

Craig89
09-15-2014, 04:18 PM
Cool video

Bullnerd
09-15-2014, 05:50 PM
The electric quad is cool but is it worth it?

Whats one of those motors cost and like 6 or 8 of those gel cell batteries?

2K or more?

rgvkid
09-15-2014, 07:57 PM
Duane, a 2.5 Harbor Freight motor would be a good option. I have one on the Pink Go kart. With a Centrifugal clutch it runs about 35-40mph.
I degoverned it with a better flowing pipe and stock carb, I had to put a limiter on the peddle from going to fast. With a CVT it could put out a good amount of power for a 4 year old.
I bought it from Harbor Freight for $100, Problem is they don't sell the 2.5 anymore in cali. But you could probably find a used one for cheap.

Unfortunately, I don't think I have an unedited video of the Pink Kart. This is a video I made for her to show her friends that was sped up to high speed, but it gives you an idea of the sizing.
CMC FAB & DESIGN Custom Home Built Go Kart for Mckenzie - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chirifI-BcA)

rgvkid
09-15-2014, 08:02 PM
Found one.
This one is real time, she is still getting the hang of it so she's not at full throttle, plus I have the Limiter on the peddle. These little 2.5's are pretty strong. could probably bump them up to about 4HP with minor mods. The HF 7hp engines sell for about $100 also, when they are on sale. They were just on sale last week for $100. They are a good size bigger but will push some really good power once degoved and modified.
Kenzie Getting the hang of it - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgzL5AF1bQk&list=UUeG2jBrGJZZdz4eOHL8jVLg)

Duane
09-15-2014, 11:16 PM
The electric quad is cool but is it worth it?

Whats one of those motors cost and like 6 or 8 of those gel cell batteries?

2K or more?

Yeah the batteries would kill a reasonable budget by themselves, then throw in that motor and it becomes an Albatross.
The motors I am considering are under $200 for 750 or 1000 watts 24 or 36 volts. Two deep cycle group 24 batteries gives around 100 amp hours for a decent amount of run time. Those motors are used for scooters and the like. Put the batteries under a bench seat for a mini SXS look maybe?

Abgreen10
01-13-2015, 01:50 PM
Video has sound only no pic any ideas I'm new to this site thanksavery

Jarod
11-17-2015, 11:01 PM
I did a small truck for my kids that was electric a few years ago. Pics of it are on my profile page. I used a old golf cart. Wasn't much of it left when I was done. You should be able to find an electric cart for almost free. Though batteries will set you back around $800. It worked really good for quite a while. My kids had a blast. After letting the neighborhood teens drive it all over town I had some problems I couldn't figure out. So now I'm almost done with putting a 4wheeler engine in it.
Jarod

Wheels
11-18-2015, 06:04 AM
Jarod, I remember when you posted that truck.. thought it was cool.

Jarod
11-18-2015, 01:33 PM
Sorry, I didn't look at the date of this thread. when I read that someone was thinking of building something electric. I figured they could save some money starting with a golf cart. I'm sure after seeing the date of this thread that they have already built what they wanted,or moved on with another idea.
Jarod