PDA

View Full Version : 16hp Vanguard?

lost26
08-23-2014, 12:53 AM
I found a 16hp vanguard for pretty cheap and have read alot about these motors but mostly the 20hp models, my question is would a16hp push a 400lb kids buggy pretty good? Also is it possible to govern these with the old screw stop on the throttle pedal? I have been building his a little too big for him so he can grow into it and I can adjust pedals, seat etc as he gets bigger just figured I could do the same with the engine. Thanks

Xbird
08-23-2014, 11:19 AM
Most of the 400 pound range karts/mini buggys run anywhere from 5 to 12 hp, so power-wise, a good choice. A throttle stop would work fine. a lot of the small kid's buggies have them. I've done just that with my daughter's.

lost26
08-24-2014, 12:25 AM
Thanks Xbird, hopefully the guy with the engine will come through

lost26
08-30-2014, 01:56 PM
Hey Xbird, I wound up buying a Honda Gx620 twin with electric start($200) I know 20hp is a bit much but it's cheaper to govern than to add hp. I figure he will not out grow this motor too soon. :D

rgvkid
09-05-2014, 04:55 AM
Damn thats a good deal. De-govern that thing and you could make a nice 2 seater that will push!

I have a 16HP vanguard also thats waiting to get put into something.

lost26
09-06-2014, 06:25 PM
Rgvkid I'm really excited about it and for the price I paid even more so. The guy wanted $500 so I just threw him an offer not thinking he would really take it ( I was one of those craglist jack wagon lowballers :o ) and when he said yes I left that minute to get it before he changed his mind. It fires right up and runs great. Now I need to figure out my gearing for the torque converter going to a polaris outlaw rear 38 tooth sprocket.

rgvkid
09-08-2014, 04:50 PM
You can degoverning that engine, add a Mikuni Roundslide carb, and build a custom exhaust. That kart will do great with the extra Hp and RPM's from the Degoverned engine. I'm sure other more well informed guys will chime in.
Build the kart so it fits you in it with a tight fit. If the Degoverned engine is too fast for your kid, you can add a screw stop on the peddle to increase or decrease depend on how fast you want them to peak out. The more comfortable they get, you can screw in the stop and they can get more speed.