PDA

View Full Version : 2 seat buggy

East Coast
07-03-2014, 12:57 PM
I have two kids, 6 & 11. Want to build a cart they both can get in and use. Does anyone have any build plans?

Thanks

Lug-Nuts
07-03-2014, 01:15 PM
Have you looked into a used buggy, or one that needs some love?

Would be a easy way to get into a buggy, and a bit quicker than building one from scratch.

If you are set on building one, the shredderII is a good beginner buggy to build. They recommend a industrial motor up to 50 hp. Of course its up to you what powerplant to use. I built one, and spent over 5k to build it and more than 600 hours. I did make some of that $ back from the sale of parting out items I purchased. I did everything as inexpensively as posibble.

A lot of these builds easily go over 10k mine was on the low end.

Lug-Nuts
07-03-2014, 01:16 PM
check out ubuildit plans for the shredderII I think they run 50.00 for the plans.

East Coast
07-03-2014, 02:17 PM
check out ubuildit plans for the shredderII I think they run 50.00 for the plans.

Ok thank you, I was looking to find some free plans, maybe someone as a set that they are not going to use or something.

Thanks

darwinpayne2000
07-03-2014, 02:25 PM
I would agree with Lug-Nuts. The best option is to find an existing two-seater buggy that needs a little work and apply your mechanical skills in fixing it up or making changes.

The best two-seater plans for a first-time builder, in my opinion, is the Shredder II. The plans are easy to follow and gives you four-wheel independent suspension. The build is not a 1-2 weekend project, however. As Lug-Nuts stated, you'll spend hundreds of hours building it, but you'll also get hundreds of hours of enjoyment out of it.

If you're looking for something really, really simple, then try this link:

Go Kart Two Seater Frame Plans (http://www.diygokarts.com/kart-plans/frame-2-seat.html)

You would need to add a roll bar and seat belts, but this is something that you could tinker together quite easily. If this is too simple, then the Shredder II is what you want.

Lug-Nuts
07-03-2014, 05:40 PM
There are a lot of really nice buggies out there that need done work and can be had for cheap. Joyner is a good brand I have seen them go for 500.00 and they need a tune up and carb cleaning. Typically it's easy stuff to fix.

Hambam
07-04-2014, 09:50 AM
I think a good and cheap way to do it is to buy an old ATV and convert it to be a buggy. You should be able to pick one up cheaply. Basically just use the existing drive and engine, use the front end, and weld a chassis between the two (bit more complicated in practice though, haha).

It would be a good way to learn the skills needed if you decide to build a future buggy, and as much of it is already built, it should be a quick build too.

K-fab
07-04-2014, 12:59 PM
Welcome to MBN.

I have to agree with the above posts - either find a used one that needs some love and work from there or find a quad and build a frame around that.

What sort of skills, experience and equipment do you have or have access to?

As far as free plans go, generally no, you're not going to find anything worthwhile. Not only that, but people put far too much time and effort into the designing of a vehicle just to offer them up for free - pay someone for the work they've done, it's only fair.

Xbird
07-04-2014, 04:23 PM
Might want to check with protodie to see if they're offering plans yet for the jr size buggy.
Ditto on all the above with the only caveat being to ask around on the forum about any potential used minibuggy buy. some of the brands/models have unobtanium parts and you'll end up doing more fab fixing what's broke than building a new one.

East Coast
05-13-2015, 01:37 AM
ok, thanks