PDA

View Full Version : How to set Ackerman

deaner
12-28-2013, 12:01 AM
To set up ackerman draw a line from center of the car at the rear axle to the "king pin". The outer tie rod end should pivot on the that line (either front steer or rear steer). With the wheels turned all the way draw a line 90 degrees to the wheels, to the center-line of the rear axle from each front wheel. The lines should intersect the center line of the rear axle at the same point.That point to the center of the rear axle is the theoretical turning radius. To figure out where to put the rack , you first need to figure the length of the steering arm coming off the spindle. That is figured by the amount of travel of the rack. Make the steering arms long enough to travel the same as the rack. Mount the rack in between them. For front steer move the rack back for more ackerman forward for less. Rear steer is the opposite.

Chikin
12-29-2013, 09:59 AM
Pictures to help guys who get lost following words.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k5/chikin1974/KPIACKDIAGRAM.jpg

Photos and words together
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k5/chikin1974/kingpinackerman.jpg

Chikin
12-29-2013, 10:04 AM
Here is the lines (when turning... The line the wheels should point to ( left or right) to have what they call "proper" steering alignment.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k5/chikin1974/439px-.jpg

frankysfree
12-29-2013, 11:38 AM
Great info. I always get lost without pics... lol

deaner
12-29-2013, 11:41 AM
Thanks Chikin, for adding the pics. It's much easier to understand it when you can see it. I know you have put them up before, prolly need them again in six months or so. It's great that you are here to help people out.[smilie=thumbs_up.g:

Chikin
12-29-2013, 11:54 AM
Thanks Chikin, for adding the pics. It's much easier to understand it when you can see it. I know you have put them up before, prolly need them again in six months or so. It's great that you are here to help people out.[smilie=thumbs_up.g:

I read a lot and prior to me being on this site. I knew how to lower a car to the doors mad look cool (I guess). And we'll any one can make a low rider. But to make suspension work for any amount of travel. Well (some) guys read ... Some guys need a picture or two.

I have read tons about camber and toe and caster... It's all FRENCH if you ask me. Lost in translation. But over the months I saved photos just for these occasions.

Think about this. When reading a instructions (like ikea shit). Words for girls... Picture for guys! (Never put together a ikea item by words...EVER)

Glad I could help.

deaner
12-29-2013, 12:02 PM
Great info. I always get lost without pics... lol

Heck I get lost writing it without pics, just can't operate this machine to put up the pics. That's why I rely on Chikin. lol
Now if they could have a totally picture tutorial for MACs......hmm

frankysfree
12-29-2013, 01:08 PM
Hey chikin did you get your legends car finished? Last year when i was on here alot yours was a build i followed religously. I remembet you having to remake your a arms to fix ackerman.

Chikin
12-29-2013, 02:15 PM
Hey chikin did you get your legends car finished? Last year when i was on here alot yours was a build i followed religously. I remembet you having to remake your a arms to fix ackerman.

I will send you a pm video link.

rgvkid
12-30-2013, 09:49 PM
Great info guys!

LIDUNO
09-26-2014, 04:36 PM
This thread just made me watch at least an hour of videos on steering geometry..lol Knowledge is good.