PDA

View Full Version : What to loctite?

jerrad
07-28-2013, 01:04 PM
I'm about to disassemble my buggy for paint/PC. I was wanting to know every ones opinion for what to Loctite. So what do you fine gents recommend loctiting and what color. I assume blue for everything?
Thanks for the help.

plkracer
07-28-2013, 01:14 PM
I used nyloc nuts for everything that was nutted. I used the medium high strength green stuff from Case on the cv's and engine mounting bolts. Nothing has come loose yet. The blue loctite is not quite as strong as the Case green, which is weaker than the permanent red loctite.

flyerrider
07-28-2013, 01:36 PM
Rack Bolts! Ask me how I know :D. Fortunately I caught it before they backed out all the way. After re-assembly, also make sure to do short runs and then check everything over. Treat it almost like the first time out after building. You'll be amazed at the completely obvious stuff you can miss...

jerrad
07-28-2013, 01:45 PM
Thanks men. I just want to do it right and not lose a bolt at an inopportune time. lol

poordad
07-28-2013, 02:57 PM
this is also a great time to look at which special bolts are needed to carry as spares and which cross cover for multiple uses.

gvouvakos
07-28-2013, 03:29 PM
I have used loctite on almost all bolts!

jerrad
07-28-2013, 04:07 PM
this is also a great time to look at which special bolts are needed to carry as spares and which cross cover for multiple uses.

Great idea, thanks for that.

I have used loctite on almost all bolts!
That was my plan, just wasn't sure what was actually needed.

gvouvakos
07-28-2013, 04:27 PM
That was my plan just wasn't sure what was actually needed.
When reassembling after the paint job, i have used loctite only on suspension bolts, steering parts and sprocket/rotor mounts! but all the body panel bolts where coming loose so eventually i used loctite everywhere !

Duane
07-28-2013, 08:21 PM
Rack Bolts! Ask me how I know :D. Fortunately I caught it before they backed out all the way. After re-assembly, also make sure to do short runs and then check everything over. Treat it almost like the first time out after building. You'll be amazed at the completely obvious stuff you can miss...

Dittos to that!

Chikin
07-28-2013, 08:24 PM
If you use loctite on any parts. Remember this one key thing that will ruin your next outing.

When you away from your garage (or in your garage for that matter) keep a small butane torch with you. See when you need to back the bolts or nuts off. Heat will help you do this with ease. With out it you can either break knuckles or fingers and make worse.

Make it easy on yourself. Remember this tip.

CARLRIDDLE
07-29-2013, 07:49 AM
I used SS bolts w locknuts on everything that didn't need gr8. Have to use antisieze on SS. But locktight blue on everything here, unless locknut.

jerrad
07-30-2013, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the opinions gentlemen.

dunerocket
07-31-2013, 10:04 AM
Skip the loctite and go with lock wire. Bit of drilling involved, or use socket head cap screws that are pre-drilled.

wjfawb0
07-31-2013, 11:59 AM
Everything is blue loctited on my buggy other than the brakes and rear hub mounting bolts. They are red loctited (need heat to break free. If you coat the threads on stainless, the loctite can prevent galling and dissimilar metal corrosion too. I do use nickel antiseize on rotors, hubs, wheels to hubs and other faces.

jerrad
08-04-2013, 10:03 PM
Thanks gentlemen, I've been using blue on everything so far.