PDA

View Full Version : Question about bungs

stpeter
07-07-2013, 11:41 AM
I have a question about bungs. I am using weldable bungs for my a-arms and trailing arms with Chromoly Heims and those are pretty straight forward. I have seen the bungs with the hex head on them but the still say weld in. Why would you want a hex head on your bung since it will be welded in? I need to get to heims and bungs for the linkage that adjusts the chain tension on my gearbox. Would I use these Hex bungs and just not weld them in so I could adjust tension without taking the bolt out of the heim??

K-fab
07-07-2013, 01:13 PM
Any chance of link or pic of these bungs?

The only reason I can come up with is so you can put a wrench on it - like on a tie rod.

I wouldn't use them w/o at least tacking them in, even if the tube you're using them in is in compression.

bdkw1
07-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Would I use these Hex bungs and just not weld them in so I could adjust tension without taking the bolt out of the heim??

Use a right and a left hand. No need to remove the mounting bolts. The hex is there so that you can break the jam nut's loose and helps with adjusting the length.......

CARLRIDDLE
07-08-2013, 07:29 AM
Except for tie rods, none will be able to rotate for adjustment. So the hex part will not be needed to hold tube still while you wrench it. I wouldnt pay extra for it.
For chain tension use L & R for easy adjust. One end with hex might be handy? I only use a jam nut on one end of my tensioner.

RickS.
07-08-2013, 11:20 AM
I use a hex L.H. bung on my buggy's upper front arm link.
The link has a R.H. bung at one end and L.H. on the other.
In my case I needed something to hold on to with the wrench when adjusting the link.
The hex also insures that I don't accidentally weld in 2 R.H. bungs.
I don't charge extra for the hex bungs. It's also a good way to designate left hand.
Where as others just cut a groove in the bung to designate L.H.

stpeter
07-09-2013, 08:55 AM
In the picture I attached it looks like the bungs don't look like they are welded. You can see how you would be able to adjust the gearbox back which would tension the chain. Looks like you wouldn't need to remove the mounting bolts. Just twist it back then lock the jamb nuts. Would you think that Hex bar is threaded... Where would I find one of these. The pic kind of looks like it might be one of yoshi's setups.

RickS.
07-09-2013, 09:41 AM
To me that looks like a solid hex bar that someone grooved on one end to designate the. L.H. thread.

Duane
07-09-2013, 10:47 AM
I think you promised us a build thread for this buggy. Time to pony up!

CARLRIDDLE
07-09-2013, 11:07 AM
LOL, yeah what he said

That pic, looks like the one from Yoshi. He sells the whole mount kit.