PDA

View Full Version : Badland ST2 custom build from Ireland

Nivek4209
05-13-2013, 06:52 PM
Hi all
My names Kevin I'm 39 mechanic by trade but work in engineering for the last 20 years cars are more a hobby now than anything else
I've had ideas of building a buggy for years now and there was always something more important financially and otherwise ,I've been gathering parts for years as I suspect most of you do
I purchased a 750 gsxr k5 powerplant around 6 years go with just 300 miles on it
Wheels and rims followed soon after
Bucket seat and loads of other useful stuff
I had it in mind to buy plans from edge products but one day recently I found a video from another member here on YouTube about there build and having never heard of an st2 a google search ensued

I liked what I saw and bought the plans for a long travel st2 though mine may end up buying more of a medium travel buggy :)
Bought piping and invested in a pipe bender and off we go

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j405/nivek4209/B3553258-F19A-438E-A1AA-857455065212-1016-0000007955520D27.jpg

Once. All the plans were transferred to my jig board things progressed nicely
Time for me at this is always gonna be an issue I work six days most weeks
Day one saw me this far

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j405/nivek4209/FDAC91CD-FD12-4B7E-A3B5-881BB3917637-936-0000005B40B90798.jpg

Day two was a lot shorter and involved allot of head scratching I didn't like the box section used in he plans to make the base of the frame it seems to me a little agricultural so I decided to go with a full tube frame this straying away from the. Plan hasn't caused me much issue so far
This pic shows the tubular base with engine and. Things fitted for guide only

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j405/nivek4209/photo-74.jpg

Rear drive train is going to have a limited slip diff I made up from a impreza wrx rear LSD
It was incorporated into the original wishbone mounts from the badland plans and will have twin in board disc brakes when complete I'm using the std r160 shafts and cut down rear impreza hubs too
This is why I may end up loosing some suspension travel I'm unsure as yet how much angle these drives can take but I'm hoping around 14 " + or --

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j405/nivek4209/photo-60.jpg

Tonight I got about 4 hours at it it's now 1.40 am here and I'm not long up from the garage
After 2 mates passed comment that my buggy was very long I decided tonight to take 9 inches off the overall length before I did anything else structural it was also in my head that it was big but my friends confirmed it for me. Luckily it was an easy task as its only tacked together as yet.
Also added a few more bars from the original layout I think it looks better now that its shorter
I will have to rework my steering angles now I reckon and hope this decrease in overall length won't have any ill effects

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j405/nivek4209/photo-78.jpg

That's it for now
More updates will follow as this buggy owes its origins to Erwin from the Netherlands if I hadn't seen his video I'd be building something different :)

Duane
05-13-2013, 07:56 PM
I do like your skills and willingness to change things to suit your whims. The frame looks good. What is the specs on the tube you are using? I want to see your bender also. Keep those pictures coming.

rumorco
05-14-2013, 10:58 AM
I would really like to see your bender. My tube flattens out.

Are you using tube or pipe?

Nivek4209
05-14-2013, 11:31 AM
I'm using pipe what we call gun barell over here it has a 2.5 mm wall mild steel with a welded seam all the way on the inside
That is what the specs call for on the badlands buggy plans
I had seamless tubing bought but the dies / guides on my bender dont fit it perfectly so it does tend to flatten a bit
My bender is a hyd 15 ton capacity sealy brand it will bend from 1/2 " to 3" pipe
I'm quite happy with it easy used and cost me 500€ about 750 dollars
Probably expensive if you only want to build one buggy but I will use it on other builds and make the odd piece of farm machinery too
Will take another pic of it tonight and post it here

Nivek4209
05-14-2013, 11:33 AM
Also went shopping today and bought a small single phase Harrison lathe
It's old but its all good :)
http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j405/nivek4209/photo-80.jpg

monkeyinfantry
05-14-2013, 12:07 PM
If i'm not mistaken, you're not supposed to use pipe because its designed to hold pressure in and carry liquids, not hold up to physical hits, aka, it will fold like a paperclip in an accident

Nivek4209
05-14-2013, 01:00 PM
Plan says use it so I used it mild steel is what it recommends
It specifically say don't use high carbon as it will snap and scuere you like a sausage in an accident I'd rather have a bent buggy that be stabbed by a wishbone or cage bar
This is an amature build I'm not a pro welder qualified to weld special metals
In the short lengths between braces it will be fine

Bullnerd
05-14-2013, 01:46 PM
You got one of them backwards lathes!

Just kidding.In the US the compound and carriage handles are opposite.Boy is it hard to switch after using one or the other for a long time.

Nice lathe.

monkeyinfantry
05-14-2013, 01:54 PM
Ok well if the plans say use mild steel pipe then I guess you can, I've just always heard to use mild steel DOM tube and nothing less. Just lookin out for your safety! Buggy looks good :)

Nivek4209
05-14-2013, 02:34 PM
I'd love to use something lighter and stronger and less of it but on my first build at least I'm going to stick with this
http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j405/nivek4209/photo-81.png

monkeyinfantry
05-14-2013, 02:42 PM
"For the main chassis frame, we recommend you use what is called Hollow Structural Round Tube"

Nivek4209
05-14-2013, 03:06 PM
I think the lines have been blurred a little to much here the terminology between us suppliers and European tube pipe suppliers don't really tally
I took that page with me to two different suppliers when buying my steel the only thing that matched it perfectly dimensionally and in description with the welded seam in mild steel as described in the previous post is what is commonly known in ireland as inch gun barrel this is not a poor quality light wall piping that you would make a cheap farm gate from
I'm happy with its quality s and yes it could be made from better stronger safer lighter stuff but this ain't NASA and all that piping tubing I bought cost 120€ so it didn't exactly break the bank
Next time maybe we will experiment with other materials but for now I'm happy I got what was described

Nivek4209
05-14-2013, 06:17 PM
Done a little mock up with my back diff and the first outer hub I have ready there this evening
Its giving me an overall rear width hub face to face of 1.5 meters or 5 ft is this average
Also can get 14 inches of suspension travel each side without stressing the drives 16 is possible but at its limits

cthib27
05-14-2013, 07:17 PM
Great job! I am currently building the Cheetah from Buggy Innovations, I'm using D.O.M. tubing on my chassis. Maybe one day I'll learn how to use a lathe lol.

Pstegs 101
05-15-2013, 07:49 AM
looks like your phone is all most dead i hate that:mad:

Nivek4209
05-15-2013, 08:35 AM
You've lost me ??

Pstegs 101
05-15-2013, 01:26 PM
so am i and i am the one who said it :eek:

rumorco
05-17-2013, 05:21 PM
That pdf has it wrong.. Tube is OD, Pipe is measure ID.

Nivek4209
06-11-2013, 11:46 AM
Well after being banned by mistake for the last few weeks I have managed to get admin to put me back online
Quite annoying at the time I must admit

Nivek4209
06-11-2013, 02:28 PM
A little progress has been made
My lathe is off limits at the moment the motor has noisy bearings so I have a new one ordered to sort that it arrived today but not fitted yet
Got wheel centres sorted out as I'm using impreza 5x100 rear hubs and banshee quad front hubs at
4 x x156 pcd
Just got 4 plasma cut to suit
Well weld in and centre on a bigger lathe than mine
Also the banshee front spindles/ hubs have cured the problem of no front brakes in the st2 plans :)

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j405/nivek4209/photo-86.jpg

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j405/nivek4209/photo-91.jpg

Pstegs 101
06-11-2013, 04:03 PM
cool nice tires:)

Nivek4209
08-18-2013, 03:38 PM
Made almost no progress this last few weeks I did manage to get the rear diff set into my frame
I had go cut away some of the rear tubes I had fitted as I want to lower the front side of my wishbone diff mounting plates to get my engine lower
This will mean my wishbones won't be parallel with the ground not ideal but it will work
I'm also gonna bend new tubes for the top and bottom of the rear frame to suit this new idea it will change the look of the rear end but for the better I think

ErwinBnl
08-19-2013, 05:40 PM
Hey!

Nice to see that I have inspired you to build a ST2 LT too! :D
I'm also using tube/pipe with a welded seam, it must be strong enough.. I think:p

Watch out with the rear shock mounts of the buggy! I'm going to change that too. As you maybe have read on my threat.

Keep us posted! I'm very curious about your build. You are going fast! Making big progress.

Nivek4209
08-20-2013, 02:13 AM
I was one of those who suggested you move your shocks so I'm definatley moving placing mine in line with the travel
Feels and looks like nothing is happening these days
Bought a tractor too so working on that at the minute

ErwinBnl
08-20-2013, 09:05 AM
Oh yeah of course! Thanks :)
I didn't see it was you.. the same guy.

May I ask where you bought the bender? Did you do that online?

gvouvakos
08-20-2013, 11:09 AM
Looks good so far!

A small suggestion from me, if you are going to use fox air shocks, the plans say 4" travel shock for the front but they are not long enough if you are willing for long travel in the front.. You can easily modify to fit longer shocks thus more travel

Benihana
08-24-2013, 04:44 AM
If i'm not mistaken, you're not supposed to use pipe because its designed to hold pressure in and carry liquids, not hold up to physical hits, aka, it will fold like a paperclip in an accident

Just to clarify, he IS using what we (USA) call mild steel DOM tubing...AKA, pipe--in Ireland:) There are a million little, confusion causing, differences in terminology between the US and EU...but that's all it is...terminology. It took me years, and just when I think there can't be anything else, I hear something new. Anyway, it's looking good, proceed sir...

BTW, we have a place in Mayo; my better half is a Galway girl.

Nivek4209
08-26-2013, 08:04 AM
Thanks for clearing up that tube pipe thing
Galway and mayo are lovely places but I don't get over there too often unfortunately

MrBracket
09-18-2013, 02:03 PM
Rear drive train is going to have a limited slip diff I made up from a impreza wrx rear LSD
It was incorporated into the original wishbone mounts from the badland plans and will have twin in board disc brakes when complete I'm using the std r160 shafts and cut down rear impreza hubs too
This is why I may end up loosing some suspension travel I'm unsure as yet how much angle these drives can take but I'm hoping around 14 " + or --

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j405/nivek4209/photo-60.jpg

Hi Kevin,
I'd love to see more about this drive setup you've created. Please elaborate if possible. Thanks in advance,
Mike