PDA

View Full Version : Atv Buggy Build Ideas

EastCoastCowboy
03-16-2013, 10:05 AM
Howdy all, After alot of searching without much results, I've found this site and decided to ask for help..[smilie=dunno.gif]

I am wanting to build a "MiniBuggy", Preferably a one seater, 4x4 Mini Truck. I have at my disposal one Yamaha 700 grizzly to chop up and build the truck out of. Also have older Kawasaki wheeler, and a 250 Odyssey. I dont think the old honda will be sturdy enough for what I need, and the Kawai is running but rear end gone. The Grizzly is in perfect working order.

Now my initial idea was to strip the Grizzly down to frame, cut the frame and lengthen it from the middle, Now this leaves me with engine location, should I move it to the front of the buggy, and get the rear shaft stretched? Or keep motor behind where I will sit and lengthen the front shaft? Idea is that i'll be sitting somewhat inside of the frame, and a body attempting to resemble a truck will be put on, thus my head and upper body out the roof of the "Truck" body.

I have all tools needed, or have a shadetree way of getting most anything done. Just looking for some input on potential problems and ways of making my life easier! Ideas on the steering maybe. How long will i be able to go without issues? Anyone be able to get me a blown up view of a grizz frame and maybe use autocad to make a little mock up of it.

Thanks alot all yall.
EastCoastCowboy

Rat4020
03-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Welcome to the roadeo cowboy .. We like picts man i can read them just fine:)

Trouble675
03-16-2013, 12:11 PM
sounds interesting....but im trying to get an idea of what youre wanting exactly...

something like this?

4x4 go kart - YouTube (http://youtu.be/vTYCVzw2dsc)

or this?

Jump Mania -Junior Monster Truck Tips! Forklift Gets BOGGED! - YouTube (http://youtu.be/IugrZZN9j5U)

chuckorlando
03-16-2013, 02:41 PM
If you cut the quad and just make a middle, it will be tippy as hell as it will be long and narrow. I will assume you have a quad with cv axles. so maybe you can use the rear section with the trans and axles and use the up rights. Then make arms and sleave the axles to length. Same in the front. If it's a straight axle you dont want that swinger out there, with engine in front, with you in front of that. Thats gonna be LONG. If it's a straight axle with a drive shaft, then pm Gray for pics of his 454. Or find them on here. He basicly set the engine and trans next to him, used the 4 link solid rear axle in the back, then used pillow bearings, sprockets and chain to make up the 2ft offset.

EastCoastCowboy
03-17-2013, 10:13 AM
The Junior monster truck is just about what im looking for, just don't have to be quite as fancy. Even that 4x4 Go cart is close to what I want to do.
The donor bike has 4 wheel independent suspension,with a arms. I dont really want to lengthen all 4 cv's as machine shops round here are few and far between and cost a fortune. But it may be inevitable. I figure I can just use the front and rear section of the bike frame, to keep the diff's and axles and suspension with the same dimensions, Then I just need either front or rear shaft lengthened depending on where I mount the engine. Im thinking the motor would be slightly infront of me and below, gas and brake pedal on either side of engine, single bucket seat. Would making it about 1 1/2-2 feet longer really affect the geometry of the buggy? All wiring and electrical is mounted in the front of the grizz, so no problems with that. Think I may just cut er in half, then I HAVE to do something with her. Has anyone done a similar build to this? Or built a custom frame to mount wheeler riggin to?

On another subject, anyone have a link to a 250 odyssey thread discussing this; I have a Built 400 polaris motor, I would like to put on the Ol honda, But I would like to include the jackshaft from a sled, sprocket mounted to the jack shaft and another on the axle. That way its as simple as changing sprockets to change the gearing, this will be for On road use! Simply a very fast toy to go to the beer store on. I know its foolish, but no one round wants to race me on a horse!

deaner
03-22-2013, 10:29 PM
I'd extend the griz frame just enough to drop your bucket down in front of motor, with your legs bent and feet in front of front diff, knees above diff. Build feet protection bumper and body around every thing. It would have a lower center of gravity and about as short as possible. Put cage on to strengthen frame and for rider (now driver) protection. Boda bing-boda boom!