PDA

View Full Version : New (to me) Piranha!

AutoRoc
01-23-2013, 09:10 AM
I traded a beat up fiberglass dune buggy for this thing. Looks well built, nice welds..there must be a full sized spool of welding wire used.. It has Subaru 5 lug rear hubs and CV joints.

YZF600R engine with 7000 miles on the ODO, appears to be late 90's/early 2000's engine.
Ryde snomobile shocks up front
Cheap coil overs in rear
R&P steering
25X10X12 Dirt Devil rear tires
Suzuki ATV front hubs/rims/tires 21x7x10.
Fuel tank made out of a fire extinguisher w/Yamaha fuel level guage in it!
Tiny glass pack muffler

13/47 gearing is WAAY too talll. It needs a 10,000+rpm clutch dump to get moving.. As it sits top speed is 135mph calculated.. Looking for less than 100 with a 60 tooth gear

Mods planned:

60 tooth gear
23" front tires
Lights
Secure choke cable
Extend gas tank a little(connected seperate tank maybe)
Starter reverse setup, already have chevy starter/flexplate
FZ1 big shiny muffler

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/picture.php?albumid=4515&pictureid=38434

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/picture.php?albumid=4515&pictureid=38435

Rat4020
01-23-2013, 09:24 AM
Ya gota love the barter system Looks like a good deal:cool:

Trouble675
01-23-2013, 11:46 AM
I'd say you got a good deal!

nutz4sand
01-23-2013, 12:05 PM
You were lucky to find that and with a guy who had a fiberglass jones to trade you for the fiberglass (I am guessing speed buggy type thing)

Very nice score.

I know you said you already had a Chevy starter and flex plate and want reverse but as I look at your chain angle and think about your gearing dilemma I would say try another stab at that good luck of yours and try to find an RPM tranny with the right ratio. The chain would simply go to the top of the RPM. It looks like it would fit right on.

It looks like it would fit right in too. Be less work and no loss of ground clearance like the larger sprocket may do? Will the larger sprocket even fit without raising the spool you have? You start messing up that height and the it could affect plunge/cv angle etc.

Plus while starter reverse do work not to many build second starter reverses. That tells us something!

RPM with full motor reverse. Might have to reloacte the battery if an RPM went in but thats easy enough.

I dunno Just my thoughts. I know they are not cheap but they are liked by all who own them.

fatal-exception
03-01-2013, 01:27 PM
Nice! You will have fun modifying it to fit your needs. Looks like you have a great foundation to build on anyways! :D

Sounds like the builder used the original sprocket combo from the bike. That's is way too tall. I have 14/60 and that is still pretty tall.

Reverse of any form would be nice. I have to load mine on my sled trailer backwards, so that requires the use of a winch, backing it on would be great. An RPM box would be the way to go, but it's a pretty big expense.

Keep us posted on your updates!