PDA

View Full Version : Rorty buggies

slikrider
01-09-2013, 01:15 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but here it goes. Be careful purchasing these plans. A lot of people have had luck with them but as of April 2012 you can't get the flat parts needed to complete the car. His supplier kludge wont even return a email anymore. I have tried to contact rorty and ask for the files and he won't give them. So now I have a frame and can't finish it. Thanks and hope this helps some of you.

Bullnerd
01-09-2013, 02:00 PM
That SUCKS!

I wondered what happened to that deal with Kludge.

Thats too bad,I like Rortys designs.

Does he really stand to lose that much if he releases the files to a person that buys the plans?

Rorty should deal with GK Machine direct,and skip Kludge,he obviously isnt involved with buggys anymore.

Deranged
01-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Yep, back in 2009 when I did mine, it took Kludge a LONG time to get some parts made up for me. The prints for the plate work is in the drawing packet, but no digital copy.

Justin

JoesEdge
01-10-2013, 01:40 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but here it goes. Be careful purchasing these plans. A lot of people have had luck with them but as of April 2012 you can't get the flat parts needed to complete the car. His supplier kludge wont even return a email anymore. I have tried to contact rorty and ask for the files and he won't give them. So now I have a frame and can't finish it. Thanks and hope this helps some of you.

That's bad news! I've was almost ready to purchase the plans for the R21. That's what Rorty recommended since I don't have any machine shop to make parts for the R6.

Which buggy are you building?

CARLRIDDLE
01-10-2013, 01:49 PM
If the ## are in the plans, draw or have drawn into a file thats usable to whoever is doing the cutting. Once something goes digital it is way to easy for it to go viral. Buy one CD, make 6 copies for you buds, split the cost. No diff on buggy plans. Sucks, but I sorta understand.

Deranged
01-10-2013, 01:55 PM
For what its worth, I took all of the plate drawings, and put them into DXF form, BUT not supposed to share them....

Justin

Bullnerd
01-10-2013, 02:03 PM
I misunderstood the first time I read this.I thought he wasnt even supplying the drawings to make the parts.Meaning no Kludge=no parts.My bad.

Either draw them or get a bandsaw.

yoshi
01-10-2013, 03:47 PM
For what its worth, I took all of the plate drawings, and put them into DXF form, BUT not supposed to share them....

Justin

As long he can prove he bought the plans, I don't see why you couldn't have the parts made off your files and sell them to him. That way he gets the parts as a legitimate owner and you're not responsible for the dxf files going out to anyone......

Deranged
01-10-2013, 04:47 PM
As long he can prove he bought the plans, I don't see why you couldn't have the parts made off your files and sell them to him. That way he gets the parts as a legitimate owner and you're not responsible for the dxf files going out to anyone......

Good call. I guess if Rorty really has no suppliers to provide the plate work support, and they can prove they have the actual plans, I did all of the re creation of the parts, it would be legit. I just wouldn't feel right just handing over the dxf's to someone. I guess I could be a Rorty plate supplier..lol. I could water jet them, or plasma cut them. Lower cost plasma cutting, just a little less accurate that the water jet, which is more costly, due to the slower cut speed.

Justin

TheDoc
01-10-2013, 04:57 PM
Hey Deranged, I am sure if you sent Bob an email explaining what you guys would like to do, or offered up another reliable supplier he would go with it. If nobody is cutting parts for guys then nobody will buy plans. Shoot him a detailed msg he will get back to you.

Nick

Deranged
01-10-2013, 05:15 PM
Hey Deranged, I am sure if you sent Bob an email explaining what you guys would like to do, or offered up another reliable supplier he would go with it. If nobody is cutting parts for guys then nobody will buy plans. Shoot him a detailed msg he will get back to you.

Nick
I think I will shoot him an email tonight, and explain to him the situation.
For some reason I couldnt e mail him...do you have his email address??
Justin

armymp
01-10-2013, 07:44 PM
I too bought the R21 kit from kludge. It took 5 months for all the parts to get there. Aside from the plate work you also need some machined parts. It's no problem if you have a lathe though. If you have any questions about building one let me know.

yoshi
01-10-2013, 08:38 PM
Good call. I guess if Rorty really has no suppliers to provide the plate work support, and they can prove they have the actual plans, I did all of the re creation of the parts, it would be legit. I just wouldn't feel right just handing over the dxf's to someone. I guess I could be a Rorty plate supplier..lol. I could water jet them, or plasma cut them. Lower cost plasma cutting, just a little less accurate that the water jet, which is more costly, due to the slower cut speed.

Justin
I'm sure his customer agreement deals only with the copying or redistribution of plans, not the building of specific plate work that is only useable to people that have purchased the plans. He only cares that people that build his buggies actually paid for the right to build them. He intended for the customers to have someone do the plate work and I doubt if he cares who so long as his drawings aren't being misused.

It cost him nothing for you to sell parts and if anything increases his ability to sell.

I would not give out the DXF files to anyone, not just because of Rorty, but because you may increase your competition to build parts for other customers that purchase the plans that need parts cut.......

Bullnerd
01-12-2013, 10:33 AM
Hey "D" have you heard anything from Rorty?

Looks like the R21 is gone from his plans page.

I wish Rorty still hung out here.

Deranged
01-12-2013, 07:38 PM
Hey "D" have you heard anything from Rorty?

Looks like the R21 is gone from his plans page.

I wish Rorty still hung out here.

I tried, but for some reason, I can't get the screen up to send a e mail. It says my computer isn't set up for that?? Kinda odd. Could you try to pull up the contact info, and send me his email? Wait...it might be on my set of plans.... Eh, they are in the garage, I'll check tomorrow.

Bullnerd
01-12-2013, 07:50 PM
PM sent