PDA

View Full Version : Megalodon

tonyga
08-22-2012, 07:39 PM
starting to weld my tube together. Was wondering if anyone has found a cheaper reverse gear box anywhere other than jeffcoperformance. There wanting 3950.00 for the box. Also GSXR 1000 or V-twin this is my first build would love feed back.
Thanks

MC@ Performance Fab
08-22-2012, 10:03 PM
Baja Tex has two Honda RC51 V-twins in the for sale section here with everything ready to go. For a desert style car they would be a great motor.

CARLRIDDLE
08-23-2012, 07:33 AM
The RPM box is cheaper by $1k. Live rearend, no diff.

sqweeker
08-23-2012, 02:17 PM
Yoshi has an inline reverser for about a grand might work for you he had put one in a Busa powered smart car.

tonyga
08-23-2012, 05:45 PM
Thnks for the replies and the info. New here but hope to be putting pics up soon. How do you ad pics to this site.

nofearmxer
08-23-2012, 06:29 PM
Some people including myself have had a difficult time posting pictures.

Check out the RC51 motors

Just my 2 cents, if your going to take your time to build yourself a personal buggy don't go with a live rear end unless all you plan to do is drag race in a straight line. It's going to be hard to get the car to turn. It's just going to make the front end plow in corners.

It's inarguable that a limited slip differential is the better for cornering then a live axle.You can still put the power to the ground solidly and the car will go around a corner better without pushing the front end forcing understeer.

Again just my 2 cents and what I have learned from experience. But that's what I'd do. I'm sure many will disagree for some reason.

ProtoDie
08-24-2012, 09:19 AM
Some people including myself have had a difficult time posting pictures.

Check out the RC51 motors

Just my 2 cents, if your going to take your time to build yourself a personal buggy don't go with a live rear end unless all you plan to do is drag race in a straight line. It's going to be hard to get the car to turn. It's just going to make the front end plow in corners.

It's inarguable that a limited slip differential is the better for cornering then a live axle.You can still put the power to the ground solidly and the car will go around a corner better without pushing the front end forcing understeer.

Again just my 2 cents and what I have learned from experience. But that's what I'd do. I'm sure many will disagree for some reason.

yup,,,,I some what disagree from my experiences.

I do agree that limited slip will turn better than a locked rear, especially when driving slow.

but I disagree with the blanket statement that a car will not turn well unless it has limited slip.
Not true at all

Our cars turn on a dime and that has much to do with front end suspension design and some other factors like wedge and shock set up,,,,not just a locked rear or limited slip

when I ran mine on a road course,,,,I was thinking that would be the time I would need limited slip.

I was very pleased and surprised that it cornered like a dream on the pavement and no need for limited slip

just my .02 for what it is worth

nofearmxer
08-24-2012, 11:45 AM
Protodie, I have heard nothing but good things about your car and totally believe you. The front end has to be built correctly. Which mine wasn't and I haven't corrected and the main reason a locked up rear end put a bad taste in my mouth at slower speeds through trees, or tight hard packed stuff, or on a road course in your case.

So I guess the question is do you plan to design your front end correctly? Sounds kinda dumb but a lot of people just throw it together and say, looks right and looks cool and that's good enough for them and the riding they plan on doing.

Another 2 cents.
Soon were gonna have a dollar.....

MC@ Performance Fab
08-24-2012, 01:54 PM
Glamis Fun With an R1 Single Seater - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG5mqCVWr6I&feature=player_embedded)

Car and driver together have a huge impact on how things like a locked rear effect the handling. Tell me if you see problem with push in this video.

P.S., yeah I allready know the rear was way soft that day.

evan
08-24-2012, 03:17 PM
ATVs and sidexsides are locked up in the rear, handle great in tight areas, and were engineered, not just thought up. My 2 cents

nofearmxer
08-25-2012, 12:23 PM
Glamis Fun With an R1 Single Seater - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG5mqCVWr6I&feature=player_embedded)

Car and driver together have a huge impact on how things like a locked rear effect the handling. Tell me if you see problem with push in this video.

P.S., yeah I allready know the rear was way soft that day.

Not trying to knock you man just stating that; your not really doing anything in that particular video, and your in sand. I bet the buggys fun tho!*

Chikin
08-25-2012, 12:33 PM
Yeah he just turns that circle thingy on the dash and blocks the sand spray.
He is chasing the guy in front of him. Other than that he is just sitting there. Ha. Ha.

I have seen that video a few times and well it sure does make me want my car done now (faster than I'm going) ..... So for just sitting there doing nothing (which is what I'm doing now) reminds me to get up and build some thing. I'm creaking off the couch ..... Ok this will take a bit.

MC@ Performance Fab
08-25-2012, 01:43 PM
Nofear it looks real easy doesn't it. Thats because Im not fighting it. The cars doing what I want. Any time you want to come out and try to run with us just let me know.

nofearmxer
08-25-2012, 09:32 PM
Nofear it looks real easy doesn't it. Thats because Im not fighting it. The cars doing what I want. Any time you want to come out and try to run with us just let me know.

Alright man I'll take you up on that, come out to the dunes in Oklahoma. And there's nothing to fight, your going in almost a straight line most of the time cruising around turning on the sides of dunes man using them to help turn the car. Like I said not doing much. But from what I've seen at the dunes a lot of people do that and that's fun for them. You can cruise in a van around Nurnberg ring and it will look like the vans doing exactly what you want it to do and not be fighting it at all. And it would be a completely true statement. You could drive a car down the highway and shoot a video and it will look pretty effortless. I said in the beginning man I'm not trying to knock you but, come on.

And your in the sand dude, I would want a locked rear end in the sand, because its sand. You steer mostly with the throttle anyways in sand, gravel, mud whatever so testing any under or oversteer in the sand isn't exactly the same as a surface with traction. It's like trying to test the cars true top speed, don't do it in the sand. Now go take your buggy and race a rally course with it, or on tarmac, try something like that. Something like what they had on the X-Games. There I'd want a limited slip. And it takes a lot more skill. Come on out we'll go to Bartrams and see how calm your steering wheel is when running TTs on a rally course. Have fun man! I look forward to it.

And Mr. Chicken, what's the guy having to put his hand up to block sand getting in his face have to do with anything.....come on guy.

Chikin
08-26-2012, 08:57 AM
Guess this is a "serious" thread battle and guess you are going to over see laughing and continue to be pissed. Oh well!

Try to see the funny comment. Or just stay too serious. Make sure you video tape the driving battle.

CARLRIDDLE
08-26-2012, 10:20 AM
I think it goes to what your building a car for. In an offroad car you'll not be able to tell difference if car is built/setup right. Mud you'd want a locked rear end. Sand dirt and grass?? If your building for asphault, open rear.

tonyga
08-27-2012, 08:47 PM
I also ran into a problems trying to find 3/4x1 1/2 rec for my A-Arm. guess Im gonna have to go with round tubing.

mike burnett
09-18-2012, 09:18 AM
Ive raced karts for many years and we have solid axle rear end and the way we turn is by caster in front end . when turning the outside wheel travels further than the inside with proper caster the inside wheel lifts slightly and you are pivoting on three wheels . I beleive this what protolite is doing with proper front end geometry

Glock n Ballz
09-18-2012, 11:35 AM
I have live axle and mainly drive on the street. Its a bitch to turn. Wish I had RPM, but $$$. Some day.

ProtoDie
09-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Thread is side tracked I know,,,,,but I run a live axle on clay tracks, sand, trails, and on asphalt.

I was shocked it was that good on asphalt.....but it is.

lock rear vs open diff is only one factor of many that makes a car handle good or bad.

The front design is more important IMO

Lknight98
09-18-2012, 12:57 PM
protodie has a point, my friend has a live axle and he uses it on fields, grass and pave. handles fine. a diff is good because it could improve handling, but if your front end is setup up right, no need. Maybe if your bothered about tyre wear, but thats not to bad either.
will this be the first private Megalodon on the site? looking forward to it!