PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Power steering

topgun
04-29-2012, 08:06 AM
What would be the cost to install a electric power steering in a car?

yoshi
04-29-2012, 08:10 AM
The cost to instal or the parts alone? I sell them for $999, the u-joints are $75 each and you'll need (2)........

MC@ Performance Fab
04-29-2012, 04:07 PM
Superatv.com sells them for $599

Stomper
04-29-2012, 08:32 PM
Polaris sells the for the XP for $700(canadian). Don't see why they wouldnt be able to adapt to an minibuggy.

K-fab
04-29-2012, 08:59 PM
The Polaris unit requires a bunch of input stuff - there are a bunch of tied in sensors. The only one I can recall off hand is a transmission input that registers speed/rpm. It's speed sensitive and varies the assist accordingly. It may even check input angle, but don't quote me on that. I think it also checks throttle position too. Adapting the OEM Polaris unit would be tricky.

I just installed the OEM power steering unit in my XP and the harness that comes with it was pretty sophisticated. (and fortunately I discovered that the 2011's have the harness already integrated and only required plugging in two leads in the XP's harness.)

Head over to the RZR Forum (http://www.rzrforums.net/forums.php) and do a search on power steering - there are a few on the market and most of them cost less than the OEM Polaris unit.

Here's a thread (one of many) on power steering units. (http://www.rzrforums.net/rzr-4-specific-discussion/74646-power-steering-options.html)

Bullnerd
04-29-2012, 09:12 PM
You broke it ALREADY!?

K-fab
04-30-2012, 05:34 AM
Huh? I've not broken anything...

After having p/s in the Dez, I'm SPOILED and realized that the XP would benefit greatly from it too. It's a bolt in, plug and play upgrade and SWEET!

My tired, grumpy old wrists love me for it too. Just had carpel tunnel surgery on my left one (I can feel things again!! WOO HOO!!!! [smilie=ecstatic.gi: ) last week and am not allowed to ride the bike for another 5 weeks. :mad:

But there's nothing that says I can't drive a vehicle!

Bullnerd
04-30-2012, 05:42 AM
My bad!Thought they alreadt had PS from the factory and you were REplacing it.

Carry on,dont mind me.

Chikin
05-04-2012, 01:29 PM
Ok let's say you don't have a vehicle with a speed sensor. What do u do then... Or does it matter.

Baloo
05-04-2012, 01:47 PM
Ok let's say you don't have a vehicle with a speed sensor. What do u do then... Or does it matter.

l would guess its the same over there but here we use a controller like this one

Corsa B C - Electric power steering controller box - With ECU plug - EPAS RALLY | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Corsa-B-C-Electric-power-steering-controller-box-ECU-plug-EPAS-RALLY-/170829329798?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27c638b586)

about $50 for the controller and about $100 for an electric steering column of a vaxhaull corsa and you are good to go, bonus is you can turn the amount of assistance up and down with the knob on the controller

look no pictures !!!! lol

Chikin
05-04-2012, 02:00 PM
l would guess its the same over there but here we use a controller like this one

Corsa B C - Electric power steering controller box - With ECU plug - EPAS RALLY | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Corsa-B-C-Electric-power-steering-controller-box-ECU-plug-EPAS-RALLY-/170829329798?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27c638b586)

about $50 for the controller and about $100 for an electric steering column of a vaxhaull corsa and you are good to go, bonus is you can turn the amount of assistance up and down with the knob on the controller

look no pictures !!!! lol

Ha... No pics. See I love this site.... you ask a question and well BOOM... A way around every thing... Just wish i knew about this site from inception (Late2005)

I dont know If I would need one but damm I might as well keep trowing parts at my car and well this would be cool to have....

Ok well here is a follow up question.... What would constitute some one needing this... To assist with steering of coarse... But does it also act like a steering damper at higher speeds??? (I think I read that... don't quote me)

so all around slow or fast speed in vehicle.. it would help???
And is it because of vehicle weight ??? Does that make sense...

topgun
05-07-2012, 08:24 AM
What would be the cost to install a electric power steering in a car?

Does anyone know,where a second hand EPS kit can be readily availble in INDIA?

yoshi
05-07-2012, 10:48 AM
Does anyone know,where a second hand EPS kit can be readily availble in INDIA?

Why do you need power steering in India, don't you usually just pull the reins to the right or the left?

Rat4020
05-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Why do you need power steering in India, don't you usually just pull the reins to the right or the left?
Now thatz a belly laugher [smilie=mhihi.gif] [smilie=rofl.gif][smilie=rofl.gif]