PDA

View Full Version : LS3 in a Sinister SXR.........

yoshi
04-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Brand new motor showed up today, trans will be here by the end of the week hopefully.

The roller in the pic is just one I have sitting here so I set the motor up in about the location it will be. The only real difference to the final product is the roller has 31" tires and the LS3 setup will prob. have 33's, and i'm not quite sure what i'm gonna do about the wing yet. I moved it back about 4" for the pic and I think I like it there. I may move it back a little more, and haven't decided if I like the shorter front wing tips or if I should extend them to where they normally would be, but I can worry about that later.

Hp is about 450 for this setup and i'm running the Weddle HV1 trans with oil cooler setup..........

yoshi
04-09-2012, 01:41 PM

CARLRIDDLE
04-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Mid mount it! You'll have a real wheely machine. Man I like those LS power plants. Crate or a really clean take out?

yoshi
04-09-2012, 01:46 PM
Mid mount it! You'll have a real wheely machine. Man I like those LS power plants. Crate or a really clean take out?

Crate motor. Mid engine requires longer trailing arms and more work for the shifter setup. Rear engine is very easy to do and the potential customer base biggest desire is for it to do wheelies, lol........

Mid engine setups are still an option, i'd like to do a mid engine subi with rear a-arms.........Yoshi

Twigster
04-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Are their any actual performance benefits of rear mounted? other than its easier to do?

surely the closer to the centre of the vehicle you can get the centre of mass the better?

Glock n Ballz
04-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Cool Yosh. Good for you. I am looking forward to seeing this one progress.

Keep the pix comin'.

Thanks,

yoshi
04-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Are their any actual performance benefits of rear mounted? other than its easier to do?

surely the closer to the centre of the vehicle you can get the centre of mass the better?

I prefer the mid engine setups for out and out performance, but it seems the rear engine rails tend to ride smoother, i'm sure you've noticed a better ride when you load up the trunk of your car or the back of the truck. .....

busasandrail
04-09-2012, 05:26 PM
HA, I knew it was only a matter of time before you did an LS motor in one of your cars.
Should be a fun ride!!!:D

boilermaker
04-10-2012, 12:09 AM
I will be following this build too, im loving it!!

Wheels
04-10-2012, 08:36 AM
i noticed 450hp for this motor... but, what hp are you or have you been putting in? basically, asking the difference in hp... :D

jparks54
04-10-2012, 09:02 AM
looks ad sounds like its gonna be awesome im gonna keep watching

yoshi
04-10-2012, 04:19 PM
i noticed 450hp for this motor... but, what hp are you or have you been putting in? basically, asking the difference in hp... :D

Hayabusa is 187hp stock.......

chrisMX-15
04-13-2012, 05:16 PM
SWEET YOSHI!!!!!!!!!!! would love to do a V8 rail!!!! maybe next time i do have a 650 hp tunnel rammed motor waitng for new project. would look awsome in your chasis!!!

Gotted
04-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Now that you moved to the other side (V8 Power) will you ever go back?

yoshi
04-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Now that you moved to the other side (V8 Power) will you ever go back?

My SXS is still busa powered and i'm sure majority of my customers getting the SXR will still want the busa motor. The V8 setup isn't cheap, I dropped over 10k on the tranny alone, and once I have the new twin screw super charged busa setup done, it's gonna be extremely popular..............

Gotted
04-13-2012, 11:13 PM
yoshi I used to off road my 4cylinder trucks years ago and then I moved to the half ton V8 I never went back to the 4cylinder again. The on demand power of a V8 spoils a person. Your buggies have come full circle now and now the V8 powered Sinister SXR with on demand power is absolutely awesome.

BigMackAttack
04-16-2012, 01:45 AM
I like this idea. I figured this would happen sometime. Now that the V8 problem is solved it will be interesting to see when someone asks for a 4 seater with a V8.

yoshi
04-18-2012, 06:28 PM
tranny showed up........:D

Gotted
04-18-2012, 08:00 PM
Insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!! Next wings (:

Glock n Ballz
04-18-2012, 08:08 PM
Schwing!!!

yoshi
04-20-2012, 03:33 PM
This is how the mid engine LS3 setup will look.....

yoshi
04-20-2012, 03:34 PM
few more.....

Deranged
04-20-2012, 08:01 PM
That sits I there so nice!! Flipping cool!! All right, What trans is that based off of, or is it a custom built one. Just thinking out loud here...but couldn't a smaller 4cyl, and a similar trans be placed the same way?? Ecotec/091 trans? Or am I way off. That is gonna be nuts!!

yoshi
04-20-2012, 08:37 PM
That sits I there so nice!! Flipping cool!! All right, What trans is that based off of, or is it a custom built one. Just thinking out loud here...but couldn't a smaller 4cyl, and a similar trans be placed the same way?? Ecotec/091 trans? Or am I way off. That is gonna be nuts!!

Trans is built by Weddle.

The only way to run a mid engine setup with an 091 is to 1, flip it upside down so the ring gear spins the correct direction (which has some pretty big disadvantages), or 2, the correct way, buy a custom, not so cheap reversed ring and pinion gearset.

Personally, I would go with the 094 before I went with the 091.

Now, if your talking about doing a rear engine with a cheaper setup, yes, that would work just fine and i'm actually working on another rail like that to try and introduce as another base model that is more affordable.

You can get a built 091 or 094 for around $3,700, and you can actually pick up a used LS engine for between 2 and 3k, the same as a busa engine. You could do a smaller setup as well, but a built 091/094 is good for about 300hp, so as long as you didn't go over that, I could actually offer my setup as a rear engine, with an auto motor, LS based or smaller, for not much more than my current busa rail.......

Deranged
04-20-2012, 08:40 PM
Cool, thanks for he info! I really like the look of the mid engines way better. Keeping an eye on this build. Thanks again!

Justin.

Deranged
04-20-2012, 08:52 PM
Ok, sorry for the partial hi-jack, but what about a mid engine mounted Honda vtec motor, with an 094? Don't they spin opposite, to where you wouldn't need to have something custom, or a hi dollar trans? Just thinking again...

Justin

yoshi
04-20-2012, 09:06 PM
Ok, sorry for the partial hi-jack, but what about a mid engine mounted Honda vtec motor, with an 094? Don't they spin opposite, to where you wouldn't need to have something custom, or a hi dollar trans? Just thinking again...

Justin

Not all of them, but Honda motors do spin the opposite, but the the ring gear is running on the non drive side of the arched gears. I know people have done it, it's just loading it incorrectly and i'm not sure of lifespan for something like that......

Deranged
04-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Ok, gotcha! Good info! Ok, carry on with the big boy build. :D

Justin

yoshi
04-24-2012, 09:14 AM
33" wheels showed up today. I had to use straps to get it down to what it will be at ride height to show what it will look like. It's setting with 19" clearance right now......

yoshi
04-24-2012, 09:15 AM
Rear engine stance. Overall length, with 33" tires, is 13'.......

CARLRIDDLE
04-24-2012, 01:10 PM
The mid engine setup fits your rail real nice.

yoshi
05-12-2012, 03:59 PM
Still have more bracing to add and tie the back of the chassis into the rear of the subframe, but it's getting close.....Yoshi

yoshi
05-12-2012, 03:59 PM
few more....

Deranged
05-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Sweet Jesus!!!:eek:

Justin

Glock n Ballz
05-12-2012, 05:15 PM
Good luck keeping the front tires on the ground...

yoshi
05-12-2012, 07:51 PM
Good luck keeping the front tires on the ground...

Should be fine, I'm adding a couple extra 1/2", grade 8 washers for the front shock mounts to balance the rail out better......

N8ball
05-14-2012, 03:53 AM
Should be fine, I'm adding a couple extra 1/2", grade 8 washers for the front shock mounts to balance the rail out better......

^^^ :)

Glock n Ballz
05-14-2012, 03:58 AM
I told you guys he was funny.:cool:

yoshi
05-14-2012, 06:36 AM
I told you guys he was funny.:cool:

I was being serious. I can see why you thought I was joking if I was only running the standard, non plated grade 8 washers, but these are the yellow zinc coated ones, and there's gonna be like 16 of those bad boys up there.......

Glock n Ballz
05-14-2012, 07:15 AM
I was being serious. I can see why you thought I was joking if I was only running the standard, non plated grade 8 washers, but these are the yellow zinc coated ones, and there's gonna be like 16 of those bad boys up there.......

You slay me.

CARLRIDDLE
05-14-2012, 04:50 PM
Doesn't look to stick past the rear tire to far, maybe 12-15". Looks good!

Bullnerd
05-14-2012, 04:56 PM
Looks good Yoshi.

The only comment/critisism I have(and its a small one) is that it doesnt match?Most of the car is kinda "pointy",witch is your style.The new section is kinda swoopy like everybody else does.

Stomper
05-14-2012, 05:51 PM
:eek::eek:Looks fricken awsome Yoshi. Thats alot of motor hanging out the back.

Glock n Ballz
05-14-2012, 06:43 PM
It does look cool Yosh. I knew it was a matter of time.

ad74710
12-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Yoshi, this sub-frame will be available for old sxr as upgrade?

It will be great if it will be .:cool:

[smilie=bs_offtopic:

yoshi
12-17-2012, 11:06 AM
Yoshi, this sub-frame will be available for old sxr as upgrade?

It will be great if it will be .:cool:

[smilie=bs_offtopic:

Yes, the subframe will fit in any of the SXR models but would require a few tabs welded to the chassis under the wing, which are very easy to do and if the old setup is desired at any point the new tabs will be hidden by the wing....

ad74710
12-17-2012, 11:11 AM
Yes, the subframe will fit in any of the SXR models but would require a few tabs welded to the chassis under the wing, which are very easy to do and if the old setup is desired at any point the new tabs will be hidden by the wing....

Yoshi why you didn't go for Honda vtec engine v6 which less heavier than ls1 for the blancing the weight and enjoying the sand duning.

yoshi
12-17-2012, 11:20 AM
Yoshi why you didn't go for Honda vtec engine v6 which less heavier than ls1 for the blancing the weight and enjoying the sand duning.

I am installing what the customer asked for.

He also sent me a supercharged Honda motor to build a mid engine in another SXR.......

tekkski
12-17-2012, 03:01 PM
Mother of God! Video of it running, please!!! Awesome pictures BTW!

yoshi
12-17-2012, 03:56 PM
Mother of God! Video of it running, please!!! Awesome pictures BTW!

Not just a super charger but a twin screw super charger, which produces max boost at 1,500 rpm......

GateKeeper
12-17-2012, 04:58 PM
Not just a super charger but a twin screw super charger, which produces max boost at 1,500 rpm......

I can't remember the name of company off the top of my head but that SC look like one I was goin to buy for my RX8, from down under!

yoshi
12-17-2012, 08:32 PM
I can't remember the name of company off the top of my head but that SC look like one I was goin to buy for my RX8, from down under!

Sprintex. Got it and 3 others just like it from Australia. The other 3 are going on hayabusa motors i'm currently having built :D......

yoshi
01-08-2013, 08:18 AM
Buddy bought a SXR roller and dropped a V6, Buick 3800 in the back end. Only makes about 270hp running through an 002 VW tranny, but it runs pretty good. Working on getting a copy of the video.

I'm now thinking the rear engine, 460hp LS3 is gonna be a bit much so i'm gonna instal a different powerplant/tranny combo in the one at my shop. I just got a 340hp ls motor in and i'll be running it with a built 094 I got from Weddle.

I'm also considering adding some weight to the nose inside the aluminum work. A hundred or so pounds would prob. do quite a bit that far forward and the motor wouldn't even notice it.

I'll be using the LS3/Weddle setup in another chassis as a mid engine now....

Deranged
01-08-2013, 02:48 PM
HAAA! That is awesome!![smilie=ecstatic.gi:

yoshi
01-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Went down below the dam today for a shakedown run. Front springs are too stiff and I need some limit straps because the shocks are banging when they unload, but other than that it runs pretty good.

Old ass Buick V6, stock supercharged 270hp engine that needs a tune up running through a built 091 tranny..

Click the HD link

Sinister Sand Sports SXR 3800 test run - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFB-PEFEXus)

Deranged
01-09-2013, 02:57 AM
Ya might want to add a wheelie bar too. Lol. Good stuff man, I bet that customer is as happy as a gay boy at a YMCA. Ya got train horns on it too? Lol

yoshi
01-09-2013, 05:39 AM
Ya might want to add a wheelie bar too. Lol. Good stuff man, I bet that customer is as happy as a gay boy at a YMCA. Ya got train horns on it too? Lol

The tires are like 30" right now, we're installing some 33's which are actually almost 6" taller, so that will help with the wheelies.

I'm also considering adding about 100 pounds to the nose in the form of bolt in steal plates that he could take off if he wants.

round2
01-10-2013, 10:57 AM
Mid engine looks awesome!! How much longer do the trailing arms need to be for the mid engine set up?

yoshi
01-10-2013, 12:01 PM
Mid engine looks awesome!! How much longer do the trailing arms need to be for the mid engine set up?

Same length, they are already pretty long to allow for a longer chain on the busa setup. The chassis and suspension is the same for the vehicle regardless of the powerplant, only difference is the bolt in subframe....

gvouvakos
01-10-2013, 12:06 PM
ok.... that's cool

Looks awesome yoshi, really love it :)

odypilots
01-11-2013, 10:44 AM
The shock package looks to be well sorted![smilie=thumbs_up.g:

yoshi
01-11-2013, 11:13 AM
The shock package looks to be well sorted![smilie=thumbs_up.g:

Not quite yet. I just changed out the 250 pound front top springs for some 175 springs. Made a few adjustments to the bypass and we're going back out in about an hour. I think I need a little stiffer setup for the rear but I will play with the crossover collars this afternoon and see if I can keep it from getting so low when he jumps......

round2
01-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Videos please!!

chrisMX-15
01-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Always a fan of too much power (in my book never have enough) Does the rear suspension squat alot??? on take offs? i softend up rear on 67 camaro when i draged it and the rear would squat nicely on take off and lift the fronts but i would stiffen back up for street and could lift front if i tried hard enough but normally would just bake the rears off.

odypilots
01-13-2013, 09:16 AM
Not quite yet. I just changed out the 250 pound front top springs for some 175 springs. Made a few adjustments to the bypass and we're going back out in about an hour. I think I need a little stiffer setup for the rear but I will play with the crossover collars this afternoon and see if I can keep it from getting so low when he jumps......

You may be closer than you think, although if he a big jumper I can see where being set up for that would be a higher priority than ride comfort. Those runs through the stutter bumps at the end of the video sure look stable.

yoshi
01-13-2013, 11:05 AM
You may be closer than you think, although if he a big jumper I can see where being set up for that would be a higher priority than ride comfort. Those runs through the stutter bumps at the end of the video sure look stable.

I dropped 75 pounds off the top of each front spring and it definitely did better, but it still may be a touch high, I also did some adjustments with the bypass and got it running better. I had him run through an even rougher set of whoops than the ones in the first video and it was just gliding through there and you can see the front wheels working more now that the front end is down a bit more.

The back needs a little more ground clearance. He mounted his motor/tranny 1.75" higher than I told him. I said to mount it flush with the bottom of the subframe and then we would mount a skid plate. He also bought axles that are too short and they were limiting the cv's before they even hit their max angle, so I had to install some internal spacers to limit the shocks full extension.

He cost himself almost 3" of travel with those 2 mistakes (which he is gonna fix), so his 18" of travel is actually 15" right now for the rear. I had to set the rear ride height lower based on 15" of travel. Also keep in mind his final tires will be a full 6" taller, so 3" more ground clearance right there.

I got more footage Fri. on the second run, including some on board of the rear shock. What i'm wanting to do now is drop the crossover collar down so the last 3 or 4 inches of travel is forced solely on the 400 pound lower spring instead of the 300 pound upper. Watching the video, one time he bottomed out, the top spring was almost fully compressed and there was quite a bit of gap between the lower springs. Dropping the cross over collar down will fores the suspension to run on the 400 pound spring rate solely for the last bit of compression and should not effect the normal ride at all.

I ended up backing the compression setting all the way out on the bypass shocks to get it to ride so smooth, so if he wants to jump, he can turn those set screws in up to 9 full turns to dampen landing impacts, so a matter of 1 min. to adjust in the dunes for a jump session, then go back to normal for aggressive dunning that is more plush.

I'm waiting for some of the footage my other buddy shot so I can edit it in with mine. I may get it today or tomorrow and then i'll upload another video.

odypilots
01-13-2013, 02:27 PM
That's great to hear it's even better.[smilie=thumbs_up.g:

yoshi
01-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Little more video from second test run with some shock adjustments. The front is still too stiff, back needs some adjustment, but it's getting better.

Watch in HD for best quality.......

Sinister Sand Sports SXR 3800 test run 2 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMEq9mCJKMM)

rgvkid
01-14-2013, 04:10 PM
This is just Disgusting Yoshi!!! Apalling!!!!
I can't even follow this thread any more!

rgvkid
01-14-2013, 04:11 PM
Okay just kidding, I take that back! Its like crack!!!!!
I still need my fix!!!

Can't wait to see the new buggy Fly!!!!

That would be Amazing to see it out in Glamis Sand Drags when its done!!!
People would flip!

I can't imagine how the power to weight ratio is gonna feel.
Looks Great Yosh!

What year engine was the Buick 3800? It looks like its doing great!

rgvkid
01-14-2013, 04:19 PM
You know, the sxr videos prove that you could just about throw any motor in a well built sand car and as long as its built right with well tuned suspension and it will perform great!

I love the whoop shots and Im glad the video was from outside the car.

Im tired of people shooting video from inside the cage, you can't tell what the car is doing.
Unless its a suspension shot.

yoshi
01-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Okay just kidding, I take that back! Its like crack!!!!!
I still need my fix!!!

Can't wait to see the new buggy Fly!!!!

That would be Amazing to see it out in Glamis Sand Drags when its done!!!
People would flip!

I can't imagine how the power to weight ratio is gonna feel.
Looks Great Yosh!

What year engine was the Buick 3800? It looks like its doing great!

Not sure. That motor was in 9 different cars from 96 to 2005........

chrisMX-15
01-16-2013, 07:21 PM
Dam THAT IS SWEET NOW can i have one in a V8 model???????

GateKeeper
01-16-2013, 07:32 PM
You know, the sxr videos prove that you could just about throw any motor in a well built sand car and as long as its built right with well tuned suspension and it will perform great!

And here is what happens when you put a S/C 3800 in the opposite
Circle wheelies in a dune buggy - YouTube (http://youtu.be/4WlgZYR1exc)

yoshi
01-16-2013, 10:14 PM
Dam THAT IS SWEET NOW can i have one in a V8 model???????

Yerp, it's only a deposit away...:D