PDA

View Full Version : AR51 in Mo.

butch
04-02-2012, 03:43 PM
I wanted to have a little more progress to show before I started this log but it is what it is. So i was gonna build a Rorty buggy about 2 years ago. Then RickS and talk of plans in the works for the AR51 caught my attention. So i decided I would just wait for a while and save some money while he refined his plans. I then got busy with life and other projects and hadn't visited the forum for quite a while. Then one day i googled something and the first thing on the screen was a thread here at MBN with related content. I realized i had not been here in a long time so i logged in and to my amazement seen 2 AR51 builds. Emailed Rick and asked about plans and the next day they were in my inbox. All i can say is Bravo Rick! Bravo! I will be ordering all the plate work from Rick soon.

I started on the bungs and rod ends sat but didnt make it very far before i broke the belt on my lathe. So as soon as a new belt and left hand thread taps arrive I should have some more to show.

sodman
04-03-2012, 04:25 AM
It's great to see another AR51 being built. You'll love the plans and the plate kits are a work of art everything just fitts together. You've got a lathe so your going to fab a big part of the build your self ?. What plans do you have for a power plant ?" Rick's right on" if you run into any issues he's more than happy to offer solutions . He can sure pack a lot of parts in a small package. Have fun and keep us post of the progress as you get building you'll be amazed at this buggy I know I am.
Blair

Bullnerd
04-03-2012, 04:45 AM
Welcome back butch.

wjfawb0
04-03-2012, 07:19 AM
It's great to see another one getting started. I'm mostly finished with my AR51. Rick is sending some pedal box parts and my fuel tank now. Once I have those I should have a few weeks worth of work to tackle. I've been working on mine on nights and weekends, and it has gone by pretty fast with Rick's help.

daaboots
04-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Nice. Keep going!

butch
04-05-2012, 02:29 PM
Thanks guys. Still waiting on my belt for my lathe. (I'm not gonna complain about the little HF lathe, I've had it for 5/6 years and this is the first belt I've busted" I did get my plates ordered from Rick. The plans provide all the dims to draw them yourself but the way I see it is I still have to send the files out for cutting so I figure Rick should get paid for all the hard work he has invested. I'm taking next week off from work so I should be able to go get some tubing and get started on the chassis. I will definitely takes pics and post them.

butch
04-05-2012, 02:36 PM
It's great to see another one getting started. I'm mostly finished with my AR51. Rick is sending some pedal box parts and my fuel tank now. Once I have those I should have a few weeks worth of work to tackle. I've been working on mine on nights and weekends, and it has gone by pretty fast with Rick's help.

wj, your build is really coming along. Thanks for the pics in your thread. I hope mine goes as fast as yours. My father in-law owns about 300 acres of row crop ground and that's where I do the majority of my riding. But I cant ride during the summer or after the crops have been planted so I'm going to try to have it going by this fall.

butch
04-05-2012, 02:41 PM
It's great to see another AR51 being built. You'll love the plans and the plate kits are a work of art everything just fitts together. You've got a lathe so your going to fab a big part of the build your self ?. What plans do you have for a power plant ?" Rick's right on" if you run into any issues he's more than happy to offer solutions . He can sure pack a lot of parts in a small package. Have fun and keep us post of the progress as you get building you'll be amazed at this buggy I know I am.
Blair

sodman, your machine work is top notch man. I wish i had a mill. I ordered all of the parts from Rick. I know the tools are a investment but I cant justify the expense for only a few 1off parts. I did find a nice bench top grizzly mill for 1100 bucks. I was/am very tempted to go pick it up.

daaboots
04-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Ö I know the tools are a investment but I cant justify the expense for only a few 1off parts. I did find a nice bench top grizzly mill for 1100 bucks. I was/am very tempted to go pick it up.

It's highly unlikely that this will be your last build... trust me ;)

Having said that, I built my first buggy with a welder, grinder, and a drill press.

sandracer1
04-15-2012, 03:45 PM
sodman, your machine work is top notch man. I wish i had a mill. I ordered all of the parts from Rick. I know the tools are a investment but I cant justify the expense for only a few 1off parts. I did find a nice bench top grizzly mill for 1100 bucks. I was/am very tempted to go pick it up.

Check ebay. I bought a kondia Bridgeport style manual knee mill for 1,000.00 about 8 years ago and it is still running fine. Buyer beware though. I bought it sight unseen and shipped from Calif to Mo. I bought it from machinery exchange, stand up company. I got what they said I would get. Just thought I would post the info.

butch
05-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Well back ordered axles and stub axles finally shipped today. Ordered them about 5 weeks ago and just got the shipping info today. Received the shocks yesterday, they were ordered the same day. I have all the plate work and have some tubing to. So all thats left is for me to get to work. I did build a table for this build, my last build was pretty much built on the floor. The table is 3x6 1 1/2" steel tube frame with a 3/4 mdf top. I was going to use 1/4 inch steel till I called and got a price quote of 360 bucks. I quickly changed my mind about that. Really dont have any pics at the moment but I will snap a few this weekend and post them up here. I plan on getting started soon if I can get the wife and kids to give me a break.

wjfawb0
05-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Did you order from appletree? I ordered from them two or three weeks ago (probably after you). I ended up canceling my order last week and placed one with Moore's. They had four on the shelf and shipped two the next day. They cost more, but now I have no fear of having a running motor but no stubs to turn the wheels. I have been staging my parts orders, but I would have been better served to buy it all and pile it up in a spare bedroom.

butch
05-11-2012, 09:10 PM
I ordered cvs and axels and stubs from Dans. My intentions when I turned on the computer was to cancel my order and order them from another source, but I checked my email and there was the shipping info. I have been piling parts in a corner of my closet for weeks. The pile has become to big so I loaded all the laser parts up and relocated them to the shop today. I was pressed for time but couldnt resist tearing into some boxes and putting pieces together. I felt like I was 10 on Xmas morning putting my hot wheels race track together again.

Chikin
05-11-2012, 09:37 PM
That's always a good feeling unboxing parts. It make u feel like a kid on Xmas all over again... But this time u know you got what u wanted.

butch
05-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Heres a few pics.

butch
05-12-2012, 12:06 PM
more

butch
05-12-2012, 12:07 PM
And i found a donor bike.

daaboots
05-12-2012, 07:10 PM
and I Found A Donor Bike.

Lol!!!

butch
05-12-2012, 08:35 PM
I wonder if he can combine his auto and bike insurance now?

NoClue
05-14-2012, 10:05 AM
And i found a donor bike.

All loaded up for delivery.

butch
07-31-2012, 11:54 PM
Progress has been slowed as i try to work through a rotator cuff injury. But i have been trying to do as much as i can left handed. It's scary how well things are lining up.

boilermaker
08-01-2012, 09:29 PM
It looks like you've got everything going your way now, keep it up.
I hear you on the shoulder injury, once on a job TIGing tubes at a powerhouse, i was having so much pain with my left shoulder then got Bursitis in my right one . I wanted to cried but fought on to finish the job.I have tried most all over the counter pain meds, they barely ease the pain. Do you wake yourself up with pain when you move at night??
Good luck, hope you have a good doctor.

butch
08-01-2012, 10:55 PM
Do you wake yourself up with pain when you move at night??

Yes. There's pretty much only one position I can sleep in and that's flat on my back with my hand on my chest.

butch
08-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Made a little progress today. Spindles and rear uprights are welded up.Also cut all the tubes for the lower and upper frames and cut, tapped and welded in all the tap plates for those tubes as well.

wjfawb0
08-06-2012, 08:31 PM
Seems like all AR51 builders have pauses in their work for one reason or another. I'm almost done, but the last three weeks I hardly did any work because of my health, the mother-in-law's surgery, busy at work, etc. The end product is pretty awesome. I love it when the neighbors see it and ask how I did it. Mostly they want to know how I stuck with a project that long in duration. Most of my jobs at work are one year to three years in length, so I am accustomed to maintaining focus for months on end. Keep up the good work on yours. [smilie=wink.gif]

butch
08-06-2012, 09:19 PM
Seems like all AR51 builders have pauses in their work for one reason or another. I'm almost done, but the last three weeks I hardly did any work because of my health, the mother-in-law's surgery, busy at work, etc. The end product is pretty awesome. I love it when the neighbors see it and ask how I did it. Mostly they want to know how I stuck with a project that long in duration. Most of my jobs at work are one year to three years in length, so I am accustomed to maintaining focus for months on end. Keep up the good work on yours. [smilie=wink.gif]

I kinda go in cycles where I tend to obsess over a project for a few months then lose intrest for a few months untill something grabs my attention again. But im trying not to let that happen with this build. I intentionally waited to start on this so I could finish other projects. I have used your thread many times as a how to guide as well as a motivational tool.

wjfawb0
08-06-2012, 09:23 PM
There are a ton of things I didn't take pictures of or describe. If you need help and can't get in touch with Rick just shoot me an email. I'll tell you what he told me. :D My email is jason.fawbush (at) g m a i l (dot) c o m

butch
08-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Sweet! Thanks, I may take you up on that. I must say though, Rick always seems to respond very quickly.

butch
08-10-2012, 03:38 AM
Lower frame is in the bag. I dropped some coin on a Pro tools tube notcher(ouch that hurt)now im waiting for it to arrive so i can keep on rolling. I also decided to just buy the threaded bungs from RickS. Once the nothcher arrives this thing should go pretty quick. However I am a bit nervous about bending the front and rear roll bars, I have never made 4 bends in 1 piece of tube before.

RickS.
08-10-2012, 04:47 AM
Do you have the full size bend template?
Should be no problem to get these right on using the template.
Just remember it's important to start in the center and work your way out.

butch
08-10-2012, 06:04 AM
Yes I do have the template. The engineers at work were so intrigued by what i was building they printed them out on the plotter just to see what it looked like. I wanted to try to bend one of the roll bars up last night but i ran out of time. I wont be able to get back to it now until Mon.night.

wjfawb0
08-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Do a couple test bends on your bender and mark those tubes and the die. I used a sharpie to mark the tube based on Rick's plans. You can line up the mark on your die for 'start of bend' with the measured mark on the tube. I always left a couple inches of slack on either end of the tube because I was paranoid. I only had to rebend two tubes because I warped them while opening up some angles in my truck hitch. If you're using the 1.25" DOM tube you shouldn't have that problem. My 1.315" OD .133" wall pipe didn't like being massaged that much.

butch
08-12-2012, 11:44 PM
Do a couple test bends on your bender and mark those tubes and the die. I used a sharpie to mark the tube based on Rick's plans. You can line up the mark on your die for 'start of bend' with the measured mark on the tube. I always left a couple inches of slack on either end of the tube because I was paranoid. I only had to rebend two tubes because I warped them while opening up some angles in my truck hitch. If you're using the 1.25" DOM tube you shouldn't have that problem. My 1.315" OD .133" wall pipe didn't like being massaged that much.

Thank you for the advice. I will be sure to read this and Ricks instructions again before making any bends. The dom tubing is far to expensive to be making mistakes on.

wjfawb0
08-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Many of the benders have instructions to bend a 90* test piece that serves as the template for setting start of bend on the die and the amount of bounce back you'll get for the bend.

pirate4x4 has a nice writeup on it:

Pirate4x4.Com (http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/bendin_tube/index.html)

butch
08-13-2012, 08:39 PM
I threaded the suspension bolts last night at work. I chucked them in the lathe and used the tool post to square the die with the bar. I worked out real well.

butch
08-14-2012, 09:18 PM
Got the rear end all tacked up and partially welded before I ran out of gas.

wjfawb0
08-15-2012, 07:34 AM
Looks good. I know I had a lot of fun with welding clamps when I was fitting all of that together before tacking. I don't know if you have laser cut or waterjet steel plates, but I used klean strip phosphoric acid etch/strip from home depot to soak my smaller plate parts. That removed all of the sand/residue and cleaned up the parts much easier than a wire wheel before welding. I mainly used it on small parts that I was painting immediately after welding, because it will flash rust if you don't baking soda dip it to neutralize any acid and then oil it to keep the oxygen and water away.

I noticed that you saw the washer detail between caliper and mount or talked to Rick about it. With my GSXR750 motor and mounts, sprockets aligned, I ended up with about an 1/8" gap on the inside brake pad. Once you have the frame and motor together with the rear end it will all line up nicely.

butch
08-15-2012, 08:13 AM
Looks good. I know I had a lot of fun with welding clamps when I was fitting all of that together before tacking. I don't know if you have laser cut or waterjet steel plates, but I used klean strip phosphoric acid etch/strip from home depot to soak my smaller plate parts. That removed all of the sand/residue and cleaned up the parts much easier than a wire wheel before welding. I mainly used it on small parts that I was painting immediately after welding, because it will flash rust if you don't baking soda dip it to neutralize any acid and then oil it to keep the oxygen and water away.

I noticed that you saw the washer detail between caliper and mount or talked to Rick about it. With my GSXR750 motor and mounts, sprockets aligned, I ended up with about an 1/8" gap on the inside brake pad. Once you have the frame and motor together with the rear end it will all line up nicely.

I got all the plate work from Rick. I'm assuming it was cut with a water jet. And yeah I seen the washer detail in the plans. He left no stone unturned that's for sure.

butch
08-18-2012, 12:23 AM
Got some awesome bungs from RickS. Top notch work.

Chikin
08-18-2012, 09:08 AM
That makes it like Xmas when you get parts like that. Love those type of gifts
Goo work on the build.

butch
08-18-2012, 10:02 AM
That makes it like Xmas when you get parts like that. Love those type of gifts
Goo work on the build.

Thanks man. I'm hoping to get some shop time in tonight. Im chomping at the bit to try out the new rig.

butch
08-19-2012, 01:30 PM
I worked on the pedals and pedal boxes last night.

butch
08-19-2012, 01:37 PM
And got the upper frame rails squared up and ready to tack. I would suggest to anyone building one of these to work on the offset notches for the rear roll bars before drilling all the other holes and welding in tap plates.

sodman
08-19-2012, 03:51 PM
Ya I here ya one is easy its the mirror opposite that poses the problem . The hardest part for me was covincing my self I had it right . Looks like your coming ahead with it . I started to work on mine again last week, I did mange to redue the the rear adjuster fork on the rear assembly as per the updated plans from Rick and a few other small lathe jobs ,bosses for the rear skid plates and the such
Later Sodman

butch
08-19-2012, 05:36 PM
Ya I here ya one is easy its the mirror opposite that poses the problem . The hardest part for me was covincing my self I had it right . Looks like your coming ahead with it . I started to work on mine again last week, I did mange to redue the the rear adjuster fork on the rear assembly as per the updated plans from Rick and a few other small lathe jobs ,bosses for the rear skid plates and the such
Later Sodman

Good to hear your back at it Sodman. Yeah convincing myself it was right was the hard part.

wjfawb0
08-19-2012, 10:56 PM
It's fun when you make two right hand parts. You know, you feel that sense of accomplishment and then realize you wasted steel and half of your time? :D It always happens when I get in a hurry.

mmobley
03-06-2014, 09:12 AM
Did he finish his build??

butch
01-22-2020, 08:38 AM
Hello everyone. Itís been a while. Like 7 years since I started this build. Not long after my last update I went through a divorce. It was amicable. So I put all my tools and parts in storage. In that time I bought a small farm built a small shop(16x24) on it then lived in the shop for 3 years while I built my house.
Well the house is done and Iíve reclaimed my shop and started on this build again.

Bullnerd
01-22-2020, 12:22 PM
Welcome back Butch!

Congrats (I think?) on the new house and shop.

butch
01-22-2020, 07:34 PM
The shop is kinda small but it’s fully insulated and super easy to heat and cool which is something of a luxury to me. I’ve never had a heated shop. And I plan on adding into it in the summer.

butch
02-09-2020, 03:54 PM
Is there a trick to getting the bottom eyelet off of a fox air shock? I made some soft jaws out of aluminum for my vice and no matter how tight I get it the whole shock spins.

K-fab
02-09-2020, 06:50 PM
Heat - take a propane torch to it and warm it up. It's held on with red loc-tite and won't play nice until you warm it up.

butch
02-10-2020, 01:49 PM
The heat worked like a charm! Thanks for the tip!

K-fab
02-10-2020, 05:55 PM
The heat worked like a charm! Thanks for the tip!AHA! Here’s where I’d responded to you.
I saw your thread on FB with similar responses but couldn’t find mine. The fun of keeping up with two places. :rolleyes:

Good, glad to hear it worked. I’m getting ready to assemble a set and will be using an “adequate amount”.

butch
02-12-2020, 12:36 PM
Trying to upload some pics.

butch
02-12-2020, 12:42 PM
Success! I’ll update and get pix uploaded soon!

butch
02-12-2020, 03:57 PM
frame

butch
02-12-2020, 04:09 PM
I have a rolling chassis. The fuel tank is mounted and Iím waiting on the radiator and fan shroud from RickS. Once that arrives Iíll be ready to mount the engine. Sorry for the sideways pixs. I do t know how to rotate them.

butch
02-13-2020, 02:27 PM
Downloaded Tapatalk! Letís see how it works for uploading pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

butch
02-13-2020, 02:30 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200213/52d2835accae824b2871f353a62a22b3.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200213/39711c6abc9c99a0e7718dbe8cf90886.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200213/6c8618e1500743d1e8862fb99c579b07.jpg

butch
02-13-2020, 02:32 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200213/664c49e081dd6f3fe64eed57d75e2f70.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200213/a208a17d0a4f51d3be95ee1756148e88.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200213/96751a44996518370c99c8568c61cddd.jpg

butch
02-13-2020, 02:37 PM
Assembling and installing the cvís. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200213/fa55fa59d33e5691c42605a69ebb928e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200213/7cdf58a6a20f5e30b9fdd3e274fba3ce.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200213/ffec296a6f42582c2effe090134b6e39.jpg

butch
02-13-2020, 02:40 PM
Order all the brake lines and masterhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200213/98ed4a804c018e74655a304c72168358.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200213/866daa34fdb2cbb4264dcd59b273f08e.jpg cylinders from http://www.rickskraschsite.com/gallery.php

K-fab
02-13-2020, 05:15 PM
Good stuff right there.
Really good stuff.

butch
02-13-2020, 05:23 PM
Good stuff right there.
Really good stuff.

Yes sir!

butch
02-13-2020, 07:48 PM
Seat came in today so of course I had to put it in and test it out! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200214/f1349aa8e76b4574070c5cc5f5572a8a.jpgand while I was in the shop I went ahead and installed the master cylinders and started plumbing them. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200214/5440f6228f2ac6b1625d3f35159ef748.jpg

butch
02-16-2020, 10:26 AM
Got a pretty good start on mounting the engine today. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200216/0f5b7495c0b3f21960f16fe3bb985ddd.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200216/203b8e7717f52d9426e7dd4d88b3fc62.jpg

butch
02-16-2020, 10:28 AM
Need to machine some spacers and get rid of the washers. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200216/66472ec49b115c7a178e400be9de08bd.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200216/4bf1976b436245a20cc508528a28112a.jpgand get some shorter bolts.

darwinpayne2000
02-18-2020, 09:47 PM
I like all the pictures of the shiny new stuff for your build. My buggy has been out on the trails for a few years and it's starting to show it.

butch
02-19-2020, 06:17 AM
I like all the pictures of the shiny new stuff for your build. My buggy has been out on the trails for a few years and it's starting to show it.

I canít wait to get it dirty ! [emoji12]

butch
05-12-2020, 01:48 PM
Been a while since I updated here. Finally got the dash cut out and installed. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200512/54b9e9a3b51ad16cec9641b72433fdfe.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200512/6edb140eb643661d6d1c39abab8cfdc3.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200512/f32615b509bb081f335c74eb3177cc31.jpg
Sheís pretty much ready to take out for a test drive. Just need to mount the coolant over flow tank somewhere.

fatboy1214
05-12-2020, 07:15 PM
Good to see the progress! I recently moved to KC so we'll have to go try our buggies out sometime!

butch
06-27-2020, 04:08 PM
Good to see the progress! I recently moved to KC so we'll have to go try our buggies out sometime!

Sounds good! Iím about 3 hours East if you!

butch
06-27-2020, 04:12 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200627/83d6bde336fcad7a18673fcbba8468b8.png
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200627/25cef28cd4582639a31d462ebd03d5f5.png
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200627/60ae123b845b5a9c620e1c8f481d9b1d.png
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200627/fa01d2e3a59cba2d2322a062e46ec6b3.png
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200627/ea509fa408bbd2e6eec700185d8a6ba2.png
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200627/5465c8ae69ec39e9b2e25a8f65c1a0d9.png
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200627/5d320064f76e9a8a8402ddc558e0ff52.png
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200627/ab2220674e843de446d9b8988873ff66.png
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200627/1d6b3779985eb70acc10ffcdfb2e9066.pngMy son took some action shots of the buggy a few weeks back. I realized I posted them on Facebook but I never posted them on here.

butch
06-27-2020, 04:16 PM
Iíve got about 10 hours on it now and the only issue Iíve had is the idler sprocket. Once the chIn stretched out I think it was loose enough to cause it to bounce up and down and some how it knocked a tooth off the idler sprocket.
The GSXR 1000 runs strong. It makes awesome power. But itís still not running at 100%. Thereís a big in it that I believe is related to the tps. Thereís a procedure to adjust the tps but I had the harness cut down and I think the removed the part that allows for that to happen. But other than that I couldnít be more happy with the results.

darwinpayne2000
07-03-2020, 01:07 AM
That looks like a fun buggy!!!

A long haul to finish it but you have it out on the trails. Good job!!