PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler Relocation...advice?

reestafarian
03-13-2012, 11:09 PM
I just bought a buggy with a GSXR 1000 power plant. The oil cooler was mounted in a terrible spot and needs to be relocated. Can I mount the cooler above the engine? Right now it's on the same plane as the oil pan so I don't know if it's critical to be on that level. Also, what's the easiest way to re-plumb a cooler? I'm thinkin my local house of hose? Can I braze fittings on the steel subs leaving the block?

RickS.
03-14-2012, 04:07 AM
Yes you can braze or tig new ends on the fittings.
I run a 9 row aftermarket oil cooler. I mount it in front of the radiator and this is well above the engine.
GSXR 1000 also.

reestafarian
03-14-2012, 10:54 PM
Thanks Rick. I think I'll probably do the same thing. Mostly I just wondered if the cooler would drain and cause a dry start every time. Do you think the bigger cooler was worth it? I was thinking of using the factory one.

RickS.
03-15-2012, 04:14 AM
I like it and I'm sure it cools better than the factory one.
It also fits very well on the Civic radiator.
I mounted mine with fittings out the top so it does not drain.

reestafarian
03-30-2012, 05:01 PM
update...took the cheap way out for now. I moved the cooler between the engine and the gearbox on the same plane as it was before. I just ordered a $14 fan from ebay (not much airflow where I put it) I cut off the metal piping and used 1/2" compression fittings and oil rated hose- pressure tested the whole thing to 100psi. So far so good. Thanks again Rick