PDA

View Full Version : GNCC UTV Class

ihcj9
02-15-2012, 11:22 AM
So on the website, under classes, it lists the three UTV production classes, and then lists a "single seat" class. But the UTV rule book says nothing about it. The general rules say a max width of 62" (may be a smidge wider than that [smilie=oops.gif].....) do they enforce?

Looking at the Ironman one in October or Novemeber.

Stoneman
02-15-2012, 12:08 PM
So on the website, under classes, it lists the three UTV production classes, and then lists a "single seat" class. But the UTV rule book says nothing about it. The general rules say a max width of 62" (may be a smidge wider than that [smilie=oops.gif].....) do they enforce?

Looking at the Ironman one in October or Novemeber.

Better have some beadlocks or steel wheels.
Bumpers/nerfs are a must.
Must have firesuit.

minibajaman
02-15-2012, 04:48 PM
The same basic rules apply to all the UTV classes. The single seat class has no specific rules about engines (as long as they are under 800cc) or suspension or chassis.

They do check the max width. When I went to a GNCC last year, they have a steel fixture that you drive through to check the width. Last year the rule was 60" and I was about 62" but they still let me race, but said they might not let me pass in the future. The courses tend to have very narrow spots between trees that are exactly 62" wide, and the UTV guys won't be very friendly if you are holding them up...

As Stoneman said beadlocks or aluminum/steel wheels with reinforcing rings are best. The only time I ever destroyed a Douglas .190 wheel was at a GNCC. Nerf bars will help keep you out of trees and therefore also help protect rear wheels. Bumpers are also a good idea as there tends to be plenty of contact in these events.

ihcj9
02-15-2012, 06:27 PM
well damn. I'm sitting around 65-66" wide. Looks like I won't make it then. I will be running HiPer Technologies Carbon fiber beadlocks this year so that won't be an issue :D. I managed to utterly destroy a 0.190 red label at Attice last year. Time to move up to the carbon fibers.