PDA

View Full Version : question for dfx file

gvouvakos
01-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Hi. I am about to laser cut the steel plates for my buggy. I have the dxf file. My question is that for the rear uprights the plans say that should be 8 mm thick but most of the other parts on 5mm thick steel. How would i cut the parts on differetn thickness of steel since all parts are on the same cad drawing?

boilermaker
01-29-2012, 01:08 AM
Just tell them which parts are 8 and which ones are 5.If they don't do them correct its their fault.

gvouvakos
01-29-2012, 02:07 AM
ok. Thank you.

bdkw1
01-29-2012, 12:30 PM
I always separate them into there own files by thickness to avoid any confusion.

Or with the laser guy I use I just send the solid model and he figures it out.

ErwinBnl
01-30-2012, 02:14 PM
You will pay (lots) more if the lasercutter must edit your DFX file manually to get the parts separate.

I made 2 different DFX files and both send them. I also made some adjustments to get metric sizes everywhere and thinks like my 40mm front axles from the Edge in stead of the 25mm (?) the plans describe.

gvouvakos
01-31-2012, 06:29 AM
In my country we also use metric sizes. So i will need to convert the dimensions on the dxf from inches to mm ? how can i do that?

RickS.
01-31-2012, 06:57 AM
Scale it up by 25.4
In AutoCAD Type in sc or (scale) then enter.
Select objects, select base point, then type 25.4 and enter.
Type in dxfout then enter. Click save, then yes to replace existing file.
Or you can rename it and save as a new file.

gvouvakos
01-31-2012, 07:57 AM
Scale it up by 25.4
In AutoCAD Type in sc or (scale) then enter.
Select objects, select base point, then type 25.4 and enter.
Type in dxfout then enter. Click save, then yes to replace existing file.
Or you can rename it and save as a new file.

I managed to make 2 different files for the different thickness of steel using DraftSight. Do you know hao i can change the scale in draftsight?

fatal-exception
01-31-2012, 12:29 PM
I don't think I would worry about scaling the parts. Just tell the guy cutting them that the drawing is in metric, or better yet, dimension the overall size of each piece showing the units. It's not hard for the guy cutting to convert to the units he needs. Besides, his machine may already use metric as the native units.

Paul

gvouvakos
01-31-2012, 12:43 PM
The cad drawings i have are in inches. In my country we use mm. I send the file via email to the shop for laser cutting to get a quate and he told me to send the file in mm to be able to get a quate for me.

RickS.
01-31-2012, 02:39 PM
I don't think I would worry about scaling the parts. Just tell the guy cutting them that the drawing is in metric, or better yet, dimension the overall size of each piece showing the units. It's not hard for the guy cutting to convert to the units he needs. Besides, his machine may already use metric as the native units.

Paul

The easiest thing to do is to window the whole file and scale it up 25.4
We're talking 30 seconds or less to do this.
How could taking the time to dimension each piece possibly be easier than this?
I would probably go a step further and separate the files by thickness as someone else suggested.
Eliminate the possibilities for error.
I've been doing this stuff long enough to know that given a chance someone will always f it up.

fatal-exception
01-31-2012, 02:54 PM
We once had an entire machine (28,000lbs) constructed of sheet metal come half the size it should have been. If there would have been a few dimensions on the drawing, someone would have noticed the scale factor being off. That was many years ago, but I still throw a few dims on each part to make sure something didn't get scaled funny between Solidworks and the .dxf.

There's 2 issues here, the .dxf provider should have a separate file for each material, and should also provide the files in both metric and imperial.

But yes, CTRL+A, SCALE, pick a base point, 25.4, ENTER, SAVE. Done. I believe DraftSight has the exact same command set as AutoCAD.

Paul

RickS.
01-31-2012, 04:04 PM
Good points, but IMO expecting the buggy plan dxf supplier to provide dxf's in metric and imperial is s bit much. I doubt that anyone is doing this. I know I'm not. Here you'd really be asking for a major f up.

ErwinBnl
01-31-2012, 07:50 PM
It are not only the holes that must be in metric, also the plate thickness will be different.

Because the parts are designed to fit like a jigsaw puzzle together, thing won't fit because the holes are to small for the thickness of the parts.

Try and find someone in your own friend networks thats handy with AutoCAD and let him ajust everything.

Erwin

gvouvakos
02-01-2012, 06:54 AM
I firstly used the solidworks viewer to take a look at the plates. I printed a part of it and the dimensions where correct. I then used draftsight to seperate the 8mm plates to a different file. I used scale and changed the scale but when i printed a part the plates where very big. I am very confused

fatal-exception
02-01-2012, 08:10 AM
Did you have all your print settings set to 1:1 scale?

gvouvakos
02-01-2012, 08:23 AM
yes. the scale was 1 : 1. If there is a volunteer i would be happy to send him the 2 files to change them from inches to metric. If i change the scale the parts get multiplied in size by 25.4. So i change the dimension of the parts not the units.

fatal-exception
02-01-2012, 08:31 AM
You can send them to me if you want, and if that's legal. pbohn@dymarkindustries.ca

gvouvakos
02-01-2012, 08:40 AM
You can send them to me if you want, and if that's legal. pbohn@dymarkindustries.ca

I hope it's not illegal

fatal-exception
02-01-2012, 09:18 AM
The files were fine other than not being scaled up. The holes have adequate clearance for metric fasteners, and the tabs have the correct depth and proper clearance around them. I didn't see any problem with the geometry by just scaling up the parts.

Paul

gvouvakos
02-01-2012, 11:02 AM
Thank you very much. I hope it did not take you a lot of time. So if i send this files for lasercut i will be ok?