PDA

View Full Version : Buggy # 2 looks like an another AR51 build

sodman
01-24-2012, 06:48 PM
Well three years of thinking and dreaming on Buggy #2 got the plans from the Man in Red not much done but I did manage to to get the a arm jig laser cut and made the blocks . Still figuring out the mill drill so process is kinda slow . Was waiting for the steel to come in some came today and the rest next week . Front plate kit is on route from Rick and should have it this week . Here's a few pics kinda dark but I'll take some when lighting is a little better. 2520725208

I'll post up a pic of the idle end of the harvester that I just finished up 25209 Not buggy related but equipment repairs before buggy .More build pics and such in the future
Blair

Deranged
01-24-2012, 07:13 PM
AWESOME!!!!!

Can't wait to see more of these lil buggers running around!

Justin

wjfawb0
01-24-2012, 08:53 PM
Great to see. I just got my frame together on my AR51. It looks like your build is going to provide a lot more detail on home made jigs and fabricating a lot of the parts I sourced from Rick. I hope to do the same on my buggy #2.

daaboots
01-25-2012, 07:05 AM
Ah cool Sodman! Can't wait to see how this one turns out. I've been buying plans and parts from Rick slowly over the last year or so now for an AR51. I'm very anxious to get started on my build but I still need to finish the wife's Trax2!

sodman
01-28-2012, 10:05 AM
Some of the plates arrived on Thursday still looking for 1 more box of plates to come . Did manage to get a few peices cut and tacked together do to warm weather "couldn't get to the woods "
wjfawb0 I've been following your thread just have replyed it's looking great .
Thanks Daaboots get that trac 2 done
Rick pat your self on the back these plans are Awesome the parts when cut to your specs fit together like clock work.
Here's some pics 25220

sodman
02-03-2012, 04:53 AM
Finished up in the woods, got the last load out on Tues. 25255

25256 So was able to get some buggy time over the last couple of days . The missing "or" late coming box of plates showed up so was able to get a few components tacked up Turned down crush sleves and cuffs and made the bottom a arm pivot bolts . Step one done except for rack mount tacked on place will wait till rack is here to set it in place here's a few pics of the progress so far25258 Thats about it for now

sodman
02-03-2012, 04:54 AM
25256Finished up in the woods, got the last load out on Tues. 25255

25256 So was able to get some buggy time over the last couple of days . The missing "or" late coming box of plates showed up so was able to get a few components tacked up Turned down crush sleves and cuffs and made the bottom a arm pivot bolts . Step one done except for rack mount tacked on place will wait till rack is here to set it in place here's a few pics of the progress so far25258

sodman
02-08-2012, 09:56 AM
Was able to get some lathe time to do my bungs and links and spacers for the front a arms . Just need to notch and put some flat mating surfaces on some of the pieces and I'll be ready to start putting the arm together well after I build some kind of holder so I can notch on the lathe . I got idea as to what I'll build but if anyone has some pics of their's post some up . Here's pics of progress so far25326

Glock n Ballz
02-08-2012, 10:27 AM
Looking real good Sodman.

daaboots
02-09-2012, 06:26 AM
Nice work on the lathe.

fatal-exception
02-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Sweet Sodman! Will this be the first Canadian AR51? Cant wait to see it all come together!:D

sodman
02-10-2012, 09:40 AM
Got my mill work done on the bushing and bungs25342 and finished the lathe notching tool . Some 9" 1 1/2 angle and 3/4 x3/4 bar and
cut some 3/4 " peices out of the 1 1/2 angle and here's what I came up with . The hold downs can be slid the full length of the angle for clamping longer or shoter pieces .Tryied with a piece of srap and it works just great253432534425345and a finished notch25346
Looks like a arms are next

yoshi
02-10-2012, 10:01 AM
Got my mill work done on the bushing and bungs25342 and finished the lathe notching tool . Some 9" 1 1/2 angle and 3/4 x3/4 bar and
cut some 3/4 " peices out of the 1 1/2 angle and here's what I came up with . The hold downs can be slid the full length of the angle for clamping longer or shoter pieces .Tryied with a piece of srap and it works just great253432534425345and a finished notch25346
Looks like a arms are next

I use a similar setup only I prefer the mill with a custom vice I built. I use a roughing bit and feed directly to the side.

I have set shims for the clamps so different size tubing is always centered.....

bamabuggy
02-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Nice notching both ways [smilie=thumbs_up.g:

sodman
02-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Sweet Sodman! Will this be the first Canadian AR51? Cant wait to see it all come together!:D

Don't know fatal next time I'm talking with Rick I'll ask him. I do Know that Daaboots has a set of plans but I don't think he's started yet. I'm slowly getting one of the lower arms ready to tack up. I do have the upper front arms tacked up but I'm still waiting for a 5/8 LH tap to finish them up. I never seen any of the edge plans but these plans from Rick are fricken amazing, very detailed but easy to follow.

daaboots
02-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Nice notching work Sodman. Yeah I bought the plans of Rick as well as some parts but I haven't started mine yet. Looks like you beat me to it!

sodman
02-14-2012, 06:06 AM
Got a start on the bottom a arms I now have one tacked up and the other one almost ready to go on the jig. I will say that I have followed Rick's build Glock's and the build from KY on here and the pictures were all great but to have this thing sitting up on the table the pics I've seen do it no justice . These AR51's are a frickin piece of art work I'm total amazed25376

Ordered the rear palte kit once I have the front done time to see if this is going to fit in the rear compartment25380

bamabuggy
02-14-2012, 06:57 AM
Looks good sodman your have a blast on this buggy makes me want to build one :cool:

wjfawb0
02-14-2012, 01:20 PM
I am almost completely done with my main chassis, but I still have to weld up the uprights and make the motor mounts. It is nice to use Rick's plans and end up with parts that fit together perfectly. :cool:

leok
02-14-2012, 05:56 PM
Sodman, Youshi,

Thanks for posting your method of notching tubing. I have done mine with a HF cheepie, and now a Bridgport. But now I know two more ways of getting the job done.

I gotta hand it to Rick, the AR51 is a really nice design.

Leo

sodman
02-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Well got a little more done, up rights are tacked up and the ends that I ordered came in today. Still waiting on the danm 5/8 LH tap and the front would be completely tacked except for the R&P . I think its about time to weld this sucker up . I'm going to have start on some of this machinery repairs but I hope I can still start on some of machining for the rear I have tube for the rear spool and drive shaft and hubs and the 4.5 rod for the CV cups .Here's some more pics of the progress so far25396

Might be able to get somemore lathe time in the next couple of days

Glock n Ballz
02-16-2012, 01:30 PM
Looking good Sodman!:D

wjfawb0
02-16-2012, 03:58 PM
You're moving pretty fast now. I'm trying to finish the chassis before welding up the uprights. I don't have the rear hubs in hand yet to make it a roller anyway. I spend a lot of time using wire wheels to clean up the waterjet plates before welding.

sodman
02-21-2012, 11:40 AM
Not much done did mange to get the bracing cut and tacked on to the bonnet tubes over the weekend. I had to get this thing off of the table so I could get some equipment repairs done . So I built a stand so I can still move it around the shop and still work on it . Made stand so it can adjust up & down an also can be rotated for easy welding and such. The rotation tubes did really work out so well I'll have to think a little on that one .Some bracing on the upright tube wouldn't hurt either. Before an one chimes in those are not the shocks I'm going to be using . I had them from a blunder on the 1st build. Before I knew any better and wasn't aware if this site I ordered the wrong one's 25456

Thats it for now

wjfawb0
02-21-2012, 12:51 PM
Very nice job. Having spent a few hours fully welding up that exact same front end, I can say that you're doing an excellent job fitting and cutting those tubes. Keep it up.

sodman
02-21-2012, 06:03 PM
Very nice job. Having spent a few hours fully welding up that exact same front end, I can say that you're doing an excellent job fitting and cutting those tubes. Keep it up.
Thanks wjawb0 I'll wait to weld up the front untill it gets welded to the main frame so from this point forward it will sit on the stand. Going to tackle the rear assembly next I have been collecting parts so looks like lathe work is in my future. The three inch collar locks came in Monday the bearing should be here by Friday. Once I have the rear done thats a long ways away I'll build an other stand and when I mate the front main and rear I 'll have to rotating stands to weld the whole thing up. Thats the plan anyways

bamabuggy
02-22-2012, 09:19 AM
Hey sodman the build looks great ricks plans must be good your moving along fast .Rick has done a lot on my build he's has been a big help good luck keep it up[smilie=giddy.gif]

sodman
02-23-2012, 06:45 PM
Bamabuggy thanks for the compliments Rick's plans are top notch I just recieived one more section on the plans the other day. It was for the pedal boxes he even lists all the brake fittings the lenght of the brake lines etc. On one page of the plans "for the bonnet tubes " you make a holder for doing compound notches on the 3/4 square tube on the top of the page it says "Pay attention this is easy to screw up" in bold print. The plans are easy to follow and are very detailed and the plate work is amazing.Yup you could say I'm a satisfied customer.

Glock n Ballz
02-23-2012, 10:02 PM
Cant believe there arent more AR-51 builds. Rick is the shit.[smilie=bow.gif]

Excellent progress Sodman.

Stomper
02-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Hey sod man, looks good and great craftsmanship. Man are you moving on this. Is the picture of the sled the power plant for this project. Are the plans set up for sled engines as well as bike engine or are you going to modify them to make it work.

sodman
02-27-2012, 09:50 AM
Hey sod man, looks good and great craftsmanship. Man are you moving on this. Is the picture of the sled the power plant for this project. Are the plans set up for sled engines as well as bike engine or are you going to modify them to make it work.
Stomper I had questioned that from the get go but after looking over the plans "time and time again" I think there is room for that 700, will it be as slick as using a bike engine that you could bolt right up not likely. I'm hoping once the plates arrive from Rick I'll be able to fab up the plates and then I can see what I'm in for. The engine is still in the sled but it is coming out real soon I'll take what need for parts and Kijji the rest . Number one reason for this power plant is it use to be my fathers sled 2800 miles . Number 2 it has PERC so push the button engine reverses no reverse gear box . I ll still have to put in a jack shaft and final drive to get my gearing right . Rick seemed to think that I could lenghten out the engine bay by a few inches and not change anything on the design

sodman
03-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Another care package from Rick arrived on Friday25683. Haven't had much time over the weekend hockey and family things . Did manage to get the rear crush seleves cut out and the arm bolts so was able to bolt up the rear plates just to see what it looks like . Rick these plates are amazing I feel like a kid playing with lego everything just snaps into place .

Stomper
03-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Cool, gota love the grown up lego. Get that stuff together already so we can see.:p

sodman
03-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Stomper here ya go here's some pics just bolted up not tacked but it is the complete rear assembly .Well sort of still need to machine the tube in the center carrier for bearings and still have to machine the CV flanges ETC. But I did manage to get the motor out of the sled and it is now sitting on the table. Still have the wire harness to remove from the sled and afew other components that might come in handy25717

The sled will likley make it back into the barn tomorrow no snow here at all so might hold on to till next year when there is snow may get more $$$ out of what's left that way

sodman
03-25-2012, 04:35 PM
Finally was able to get a little done on the buggy bearing housing and sprocket/rotor/CV flanges are turned down and ready to install in the housing. Had done some work on the engine cradle but that came to a halt untill I hear back from Aaen performance on what might be my best way to handle this exhaust on this sled engine . As it sits on the frame memebers it looks like the chasis frame might need a little stretch 7 inches to be exact . Should hear back from them this week so I guess the rear A arms will be started this week if all goes well .25825

Rat4020
03-25-2012, 04:44 PM
Dam swell machinin there Sodman. The only nice machine work I seem to do lately is for other customers, Which helps with da billz LOL..

daaboots
03-25-2012, 07:36 PM
Nice work Sodman. Rotary tables rock!

sodman
03-26-2012, 04:45 AM
Thanks for comments guys [smilie=ext_beer2.g:. Onced the table is indicated crank the table and bore. I'm new at all this machine work stuff but it is cool to be able to do this kind of work and stand back and look at it and say I built that componant .

Stomper
03-31-2012, 11:58 PM
Sodman, any new progress on the buggy.

sodman
04-02-2012, 07:59 AM
Still working on this exhaust Rick thought this should be be the next logical step so the stock exhaust goes and a pipe from Aaen performance is in the works should hear back from them today I mocked up where the rollbar and some of the tubes go . I did mange to tack the rear a arms up and have them on the rear assembly with the rear uprights clamped on just to see how it looks . And the rear spool bearing housing is all done as well. The weather is changing so the buggy will be on hold for a while might be on the fields this week so work going to slow buggy progress down to crawl but I knew that was coming . I'll work on it when I have the time here's a few pics 25943

daaboots
07-13-2012, 03:46 PM
Any updates? Or is work keeping you busy?

Stomper
07-14-2012, 07:50 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Sodmam are you there, hello hello!!!

sodman
07-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Daaboots and Stomper I'm still here but the wife's / kids project took over the buggy build for the last 4 weeks . I was real busy with work and trying to get this pool up and running since the middle of June . Now here comes the kicker 3 weeks to the day I thought I pulled some musscels digging some holes for some posts around the pool . It wasn't pulled musscels at all I was having a Heart Attack . So to make a long story short I'm relaxing and not real able to do very much for at least 3 more weeks . Good thing was that it was a small attack and once I got my stint in I'm feeling better than I have for quite a while . So I'm still alive a kicking just on a extended vacation I guess
Sodman

boilermaker
07-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Doctors say if you live after your first one ,you'll live a long time. I guess that's because you start eating right and regular doctor visits and now you know what to lookout for.
My dad had his first one at 44years old and lived thru 2 more til the third one got him at 69.
I'm OK so far at 70 now.
Medison has advanced a long way, and you will be OK if you follow the guide lines they give you, good luck!!

Stomper
07-18-2012, 07:05 PM
WOW, sorry to hear that Blair. The main thing is that you are ok. The buggy will still be there, just make damn sure you are too. Kinda makes me think that I should take what my Dr. said a bit more serious:o. We always think that it can't happen to us until it does. My wife has been cancer free for 2 years now. 3 years ago we didn't think that cancer could happen to her, It did.
Rest well and live long, the rest will work itself out.

Martinm210
07-18-2012, 07:28 PM
Hang in there, we have really good doctors nowdays that what seems and is serious is just day to day procedures for them. My brother just had a couple of stints put in and I went through a knee surgery and some Mohs surgery skin cancer removal myself over the past year. The issues I went through were enough to make me a little down about it all, but the medical technology and ability we have today to address these things is pretty amazing. My scars are not quite healed up yet, but I think I'm over the mental downer part, on a more regular exercise plan, and back to normal.:)

daaboots
07-19-2012, 10:47 AM
Sorry to hear about the heart attack. Glad you're still with us ;)

Tappet Head
07-21-2012, 05:30 AM
Nice work on the build mate, I have decided after looking at a few of these builds to go a AR51 on my next build.

sodman
08-04-2012, 06:45 AM
Thanks for the well wishes guy's . I still have a few more weeks to go before the doctor gives me thumbs up to return to work. I am able to drive so thats one step forward . No updates on the buggy but I thought I'd post afew of the back yard oisis a close freind took a week off work to frame the deck up and my employ'es did the rest. So the doctor said to take up a hobbie so may be able to get a few things done on the buggy in the next couple of weeks. The rack and hubs came from Rick the week I got out of the hositpal aosome job on the front hubs Rick as always.27269

Later Sodman

Martinm210
08-05-2012, 08:17 AM
Wow..thats awesome. Relaxing just seeing it in a photo, and I am sure it's soo much more in person.

ErwinBnl
08-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Wauw!

Good looking pool, I'm so jealous!

Here I live in the forrest with many insects and stuff.. a bit of water on a trampoline or so and the sky is black of stupid bugs that sting..

Now you need to relax and enjoy your new awesome looking swimming pool!

The buggy will come later.. health first ;)

Erwin

wjfawb0
08-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Nice pool. I look forward to seeing more buggy progress once you get the go ahead. I've been fighting rheumatoid arthritis pain since February, and it has really slowed me down. I think I should have the buggy 99% done and driving around the neighborhood next week, though. I'm taking my time and making sure I don't have to go back and 'fix' anything after the first drive. :D

sodman
12-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Well time to dust this thread off its been awhile since I've posted any updates . What we have is a slightly modified AR 51 frame the the engine compartment was lenghtened out by 5.75 inches so this 700 twosmoker would fit the main rear tubes had to be changed but the good old sheet of plywood method gave me my full scale patterns for the rear tubes . The motor mount is only tacked up but I think it will work out28300

So hopefully I'll have more updates more often than 4 months since winter is a little slacker for me . I'l use shop time as recoupe time and the doctors said I need a good hobby
Later Sodman

ironknot
12-27-2012, 06:35 PM
Glad to hear your on the mend Sodman.

Pool looks great.

Buggy definitely looks like it could use a dust off, but it isn't too far off finishing, great pix.

daaboots
12-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Glad to see you back at this! Hope you're feeling better these days ;)

sodman
01-10-2013, 01:14 PM
Feeling real good these days . Finaly was able to get some work on the buggy the last couple of days I have the motor cradle pretty much done ther was alot thinking this one out . When you box parts up for a year I guess you forget what all you took off the sled forgot about the rear engine mounts once I got those things moved a head better than the design I had first. Complete assembly time in the pics is around 20 minutes to bolt everything up. Pedal boxes ordered up and shocks are on the way so should have some progress on this thing28386

Later Sodman

leok
01-10-2013, 02:58 PM
Sodman,

No shifting as you drift in and out of curves .... your gonna fall asleep :D
That CVT is going to be really sweet!

Glad to hear your feeling good. My dad had a stint placed 10 years ago after a little scare. He is doing great, gets checked once a year, and should go for another good long time ..

Leo

daaboots
01-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Lookin good!

sodman
01-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Sodman,

No shifting as you drift in and out of curves .... your gonna fall asleep :D
That CVT is going to be really sweet!

Glad to hear your feeling good. My dad had a stint placed 10 years ago after a little scare. He is doing great, gets checked once a year, and should go for another good long time ..

Leo

I hope it moves out so fast that I won't fall a sleep. Buggy # 1 has CVT as well and I haven't dozed off driving it. I'm hoping that with the 700 here's going to be a big differance over 500 cc that puts out around 36 HP. This thing is some were around the 120 to 130 HP range "or so I'm told" so I'm thinking sleep won't come to easy[smilie=ecstatic.gi:. I'll have to gear it down compared to the sled drive so I'l lose some of my top end. Any ways it will be a while before I'll find out. Something to look forward to

Stomper
01-12-2013, 12:59 AM
Glad to hear you are doing fine sodman. The pool looks great and so does the buggy. I like the sled set up, looks nice and compact.Looks like you will be driving it by summer.

sodman
01-14-2013, 05:23 PM
Stomper
The cradle seems to work great "or a least it looks good " time will tell on that one . Overall size of the cradle is 19.5 long and 13 high. The only problem that I see right now is the drain plug for the chain case is tipped up so all the oil will not drain out . Worst case I might have to remove the chain case cover and drain the oil that way. The bolts on the cover are easy to get at if thats the case , plus you can see whats going on inside the case.

sodman
01-17-2013, 06:37 PM
Managed to get a little done on the buggy the last few days steering linkage is tacked up and just waiting for a quick coupler and steering wheel .Thought I could them through a local shop but I was wrong. Most of brake componants should be in tomorow lines and fittings, shocks shipped out today should have next week. Dash fabbed up, gauges in ran out of cap screws . And I have the oil tank mount mocked up so all and all a good week . Got my other frame jack made this week battery went dead on camera so no pics. Just clamp one to the front and one to rear and I can rotate the frame for welding28445

Later Sodman

Rat4020
01-18-2013, 05:30 AM
Looks great Sodman , Glad to see ya back at it again :)

Pstegs 101
01-18-2013, 07:40 AM
like your dash my snowmobile has the same thing :p:p:p

Large
01-22-2013, 05:28 PM
Wow, you've really got on with your build.

Looks fantastic Sodman

sodman
01-23-2013, 10:01 AM
like your dash my snowmobile has the same thing :p:p:p
I can't take credit on the dash Ricks design just drew it out on some blistal board figured out were I wanted the gauges and bent it up.
Thanks Large its been a long drawn out process but it is moving forward know.
Decided to fab up some clamps for the front brake lines , and the rear uprights are all tacked up all in all it going a head. Mocked up the rad and and heres pix of the jacks I built to be able to rotate the frame once it comes off the table28495

sodman
01-25-2013, 04:35 AM
Trying to mock up for an air box the filters came in yesterday my plan is make a box and then add a small car or truck air filter on the intake hole that will either go on the top or on the bottom side . Then it should act as a pre filter thats my plan. Shocks should be be in today so off to the shop I go.28514

sodman
01-31-2013, 04:48 AM
Shocks mounted and still working on the air box. I might need a slight adjustment to the air box as the rad mounts and coolant lines may come into play. Rad shrould is on the way from Rick so I'll have to wait till it comes in to hammer all the kinks on the air box out. Had some .03 stainless kicking around so i figured why not use it . I'm using K & n filters on the cabs and have bought a small air filter which I mount either on the lid or on the side to act a pre filter, and I think I still have room to mount some if the electonics inside the box as well. 28541

daaboots
01-31-2013, 07:32 AM
Lookin real good Blair!

sodman
02-01-2013, 06:37 PM
Thanks David it feels pretty good to get back on the buggy again its been way to long.
Well the buggy is off of the table and mounted on the frame jacks . They seem to work all right not quite a moblie as I had hoped for should have went with 3 castors on each frame not 2 it would have given me the chance to move sidewise as well as back and forth. I put down some welds tonight, tip it to any angle and it stays no more flipping frame or welding upside down. Buggy building rotisserie style this is great[smilie=ext_beer2.g: and I had a few cool ones to celebrate it off the table .28553

Stomper
02-02-2013, 05:44 AM
WOW, things are looking great Sodman. Won't be long now. I like the rotiserie idea, would make welding a whole lot easier. How do you like the Thermal Arc mig welder. A local industrial supply shop had a Thermal Arc 211 amp inverter welder on for $1400. It could do mig, arc and tig (steel and stainless only, not aluminum)process and came with all the needed equipment (mig gun, tig torch and regulators) to do so. I was thinking about selling my millermatic 210 and buying it but I don't know much about them. Will your speedo be accurate with using the large tires compared to the small drivers of the sled.

Rat4020
02-02-2013, 08:40 AM
Thanks David it feels pretty good to get back on the buggy again its been way to long.
Well the buggy is off of the table and mounted on the frame jacks . They seem to work all right not quite a moblie as I had hoped for should have went with 3 castors on each frame not 2 it would have given me the chance to move sidewise as well as back and forth. I put down some welds tonight, tip it to any angle and it stays no more flipping frame or welding upside down. Buggy building rotisserie style this is great[smilie=ext_beer2.g: and I had a few cool ones to celebrate it off the table .28553

[quote=Stomper;255567]WOW, things are looking great Sodman. Won't be long now. I like the rotiserie idea, would make welding a whole lot easier. How do you like the Thermal Arc mig welder. A local industrial supply shop had a Thermal Arc 211 amp inverter welder on for $1400. It could do mig, arc and tig (steel and stainless only, not aluminum)process and came with all the needed equipment (mig gun, tig torch and regulators) to do so. I was thinking about selling my millermatic 210 and buying it but I don't know much about them. Will your speedo be accurate with using the large tires compared to the small drivers of the sled.
Sodman I like your rotisiry thang I be that saves a lot of time and welding sparks fron gettin in yer ears Lol And Stomper thanks for sendin alll the 30 below weather my way

Stomper
02-02-2013, 03:48 PM
Rat
Yeah that suck doesn't it, sorry man. It hit -39 here the other night and has been cold like this for a couple weeks now but it's suposed to warm up here soon. It was -22 today and it felt like a warm spring day. I hope it warms up soon because I have a 3 day, 800 mile snowmobile trip coming up:D which would suck at -30.

sodman
02-03-2013, 07:16 AM
Stomper, I'm not trained welder so there might be a few things that some might not like with the Thermal Arc . I've had it for a couple of years and I've had no issues with it . It sure beats the lincon 140C that I have. I was going to sell the 140 but decided to keep it its so moblie you can run it off a generator and I even tacked up my wood shute that built for the house a few years back. The speedo issue I posted up on controls and electrical thread on here and I'm leaning towards a small chian and sprockets to get the ratios close . Minibajaman posted up a site that deal in gears and they even sell small timeing belts a toothed cogs . I left the final drive shaft long for that reason till i figure out what I'm doing for tires I won't know what I need to get the speedo gearing right.The more I use the rotisserie the more I like it turn it to any angle and weldings a breeze

Trouble675
02-03-2013, 08:25 AM
Hey Sodman, your engine looks like the engine in my RMK 800. Doesn't the speedo cable connect to the engine/drive assembly right below the secondary clutch?

sodman
02-03-2013, 11:04 AM
Ya Trouble It would similar except mine is out of an XC 700. RMK are just long tracks not many RMK around here. On the sled the speedo cable would be under the secondary on the opposit side of the track drive shaft as the chain case. I have used all the drive lines out of the sled including the chain case. I pressed the track drive cogs off of the hex shaft and that will be the starting point for my final drive. I think Rick had it figured out 14 tooth to 60 tooth but I kinda forget and it depends what I put on this thing for tires. I got a line on some 28's should hear back from him this week.

sodman
02-11-2013, 04:13 AM
Snowed all weekend so decided to put the aluminum to the frame . Rick the plans are right on as usual measure as per plan drill and bend bolt together. Bottom skids are on and bolted up as well as the sides are bent not bolted need to get more inserts and bolt up the side panels . I may take the side panels to the roll bar behind the seat and not cut them off at angle as per the plans haven't made that decision yet.28612

sodman
02-15-2013, 08:43 AM
Update I real close to having a ROLLER[smilie=ecstatic.gi:A few more small welds and and it should be sitting on it feet this afternoon if all goes well. Here's a few pixs one's a little blurry but it looking real good . "Thanks Rick, for a set of plans that are spot on"28639

Later Sodman

Trouble675
02-15-2013, 10:30 AM
Hey Sodman, what size wheels are the ones on the back? I'm gonna guess they are 12x7. Same on the front?

Btw, looking good!

sodman
02-16-2013, 09:59 AM
Well its offical I have a roller
Trouble yup the rims a 12 X 7 purchased them through AftershockMotorsports . Great people to deal with had them 9 days after I ordered them28664

Glock n Ballz
02-16-2013, 03:20 PM
Congrats Sodman!! Good for you buddy. (RickS-how many AR-51's are in the world counting this one?)

RickS.
02-16-2013, 08:09 PM
3 complete 3 very close, and 9 in early stages.
A lot of plans sold so their could be others that I'm not aware of.

daaboots
02-18-2013, 07:22 PM
Congrats! I'll build mine one of these days. Just need to finish up a few other projects first.

mmobley
02-21-2013, 12:26 PM
Lookin good Sodman! What size of tires did you go with?

wjfawb0
02-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Congratulations on the progress. I have to go check on my AR51 this weekend. I haven't had it out in a month or so.

sodman
02-23-2013, 06:24 PM
Motor's back in bolted down .Rad mounted and started with the wiring, behind the dash is all done except for temp gauge and i might put an exhaust temp gauge in . Is anyone out there using one ? I've been reading up on it and it seems to give you a heads up with jetting any thoughts ?. Have the fuel tank mocked up in bristelboard may start cutting the stainless up tomorrow.28760

Thats all for now
Later sodman

mmobley
02-24-2013, 07:57 AM
Nice! Lookin good man.

custom39
02-24-2013, 09:28 AM
Temp gauge/ 2stroke-
very good idea if you plan on running your motor to the extreme, it will keep you from a piston melt down...or if you plan on running it at different altitudes. Most people that run a 2 stroke will always say " boy my motor was running so great" right before they seized the piston....

It really depends on your use of the buggy....casual ridding like most people do with a sled it isn't needed....but if you want it to race you need it!

sodman
03-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Still pluging away at this thing manged to get the gas tank welded and mounted in the buggy over the weekend. Turned down some rad line couplers and adaptors to go from 1 inch lines on the sled motor to 1 1/4 to fit the civic rad lines . Tried to get rad lines with the proper bend in them and all I could find were ones with 1 plane bends so it took 2 1 1/4 X 1 1/4 couplers and one 1 x1 1/4 coupler to get the lines run . And one coupler that is 1 X 1 1/4 with a wider middle to fit the temp sender and the rad fan control . Now I can maybe finish up the rest of the wiring28994

Thats it for now

mmobley
03-12-2013, 08:35 AM
Nice progress Sodman. Tank looks good.

sodman
03-12-2013, 10:16 AM
Nice progress Sodman. Tank looks good.
It doesn't look bad but it didn't turn out as good as I hoped for had a few leaks to fix so more heat and some warping did happen "it looks good from a far and far from good" . Finished up wiring except for the rear tail light and whirled it over with the starter even had spark . Silencer for the pipe is on the way week to 10 days before I get it . Waiting on tax refund so I can order the rest of the parts axels cv's steering wheel and a few other miscellance parts . Man its getting close felt good to hear that starter click in and see spark at the plugs .

mmobley
03-12-2013, 01:42 PM
Is that an aluminum tank? I am a newb to all of this buggie stuff so don't be surprised if I ask dumb questions. Did you tig it?

wjfawb0
03-12-2013, 04:36 PM
I used nylon hose couplers from tractor supply to splice my radiator hoses. Rick provided the aluminum reducers and temperature senders. I've got 300+ miles on my AR51 with no issues. It's a heck of a design. I fired mine up over the weekend after sitting in the garage for a couple months. I used gas stabilizer in it last December, and it appears to be working.

sodman
03-12-2013, 06:37 PM
Is that an aluminum tank? I am a newb to all of this buggie stuff so don't be surprised if I ask dumb questions. Did you tig it?
.06 stainless steel is what the tank is made out of . I migged it I should have taken it to welding shop and got them to tig it. I should have built two tanks by the time I got done this one the second one would have been a lot better. If it drives me crazy I guess I could always do an other tank this one will work for now.

mmobley
03-13-2013, 06:33 AM
Thanks for the info. The AR51 has got to be about the coolest looking buggy I have ever seen.

Stomper
03-25-2013, 02:06 AM
Progress looks awsome sodman.

Junk
03-25-2013, 09:19 PM
This thread is so cool I've read the entire thing about 10 times, probably looked at pics 100 times. really impressed with how supportive to buggy family is of everyone. Good old boys everyone of you.

sodman
08-21-2013, 07:53 PM
Time to dust this thread off have not done much to the buggy in almost 5 months where has the time gone. I'll try to post up a video of the motor running and also the electronic reverse in action 22 second mark. M2U00149 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5eomQpmqpM&list=UUOsh6KD-FRDbQfR4q9_SCTg&feature=player_) I hope this works it looks like it will . Ordered shock boots a week ago might be in this week so I turned out the shock boot retaining flanges need to get them on the shocks now ,was going to up load some pics but puter not working right . All drive line parts are ready to go on and I have my drive chain to install .
Once I get pictures to upload pics of what took me away from the buggy for so long
More to come later

sodman
08-22-2013, 10:09 AM
Picture of shock boot retainers http://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t606/blairdensmore/SDC14062_zpsfc93dddf.jpg

Rat4020
08-22-2013, 10:58 AM
That vid of the elect rev IS just insaine LOL. I just posted a few days ago in a tread about an SkiDoo elect rev would be cool in a buggy and Shazam there it be.Yours is a Polaris am I right. Any way I would bet what ya got gonin on is gona work very nicly:cool: That is flat out cool

mmobley
08-22-2013, 11:05 AM
Looks and sounds good Sodman.

sodman
08-25-2013, 05:39 PM
That vid of the elect rev IS just insaine LOL. I just posted a few days ago in a tread about an SkiDoo elect rev would be cool in a buggy and Shazam there it be.Yours is a Polaris am I right. Any way I would bet what ya got gonin on is gona work very nicly:cool: That is flat out cool
Yup Rat it's a Polaris engine "or as one of son's friends say Pull On Lever And Realize It Sucks". I've had great luck with Polaris stuff I hope this is not the exception time will tell I guess. The perc works great sitting in the shed the only problem I see is not having N just won't be able to leave buggy running with out a foot on the break.

sodman
08-27-2013, 07:50 PM
Small up date got the shock boots on http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/bth_SDC14066.jpg http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/bth_SDC14070.jpg Some pictures of what took me away from the buggy for so long . The Family cottage needed a new set of stairs to hook the ramp and warf to so I decided to try to build a set that I could be suspended and in the fall they hinge out of the way http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/bth_SDC14056.jpg http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/bth_SDC14034.jpg?t=1377644525 http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/bth_SDC14054.jpg not a buggy but the stairs turned out fantastic

Bullnerd
08-27-2013, 07:53 PM
So its like a draw bridge?

Very cool.

Nice cottage.

Duane
08-27-2013, 11:36 PM
I wanna go fishin'and drinkin' on that party barge!

Rat4020
08-28-2013, 05:50 AM
Yup Rat it's a Polaris engine "or as one of son's friends say Pull On Lever And Realize It Sucks". I've had great luck with Polaris stuff I hope this is not the exception time will tell I guess.

The perc works great sitting in the shed the only problem I see is not having N just won't be able to leave buggy running with out a foot on the break.

Ive had many Pissaris snowmachines & atv's in the past and still have a golf gart "400" scrambler The wifes get around machine . That I bought new in 2000. Got ta say about zero probs with it just a water pump seal . And the snow machines I seemed to wreck them , motors where not an issue..

As far as N gear just put a line lock into yer brake line . That should work I been meanin to put one on the Taz for quite a while .. But ya know [smilie=dunno.gif]

TALON
08-28-2013, 06:07 AM
Wow,,Sod that spot looks so nice,,no wonder it dragged you away surprised you made it back ,,soo what sort of fishies reside in that there river ? Sorry to be off topic but there is not much i dont like outdoors and fishin is at the top of he list after wheeled thingies .

sodman
08-28-2013, 09:53 AM
Bullnerd As you said just like a draw bridge

Talon,
Trout "rainbow, speckled ,shad ,brown trout ,Bass small mouth and striped . It use to be a great Atlantic Salmon river but it closed early 1990 to try to bring the stocks back hasn't worked yet. That was one reason why my Father bought the place he was a very avidid fly fisherman ,he bought the camp in 1988 and I think 5 years later it was closed for salmon.

There has been a few pickerall caught this year if they're in the river they will clean out the trout in no time . Some one introduced them to a lake near by and small mouth bass is all that's left.

TALON
08-29-2013, 04:52 PM
Sounds good,,, nice variety shame about the introduced stuff spoiling it .We have the same problems out here with European carp being the number one offender ,out eats and outgrows everything .

Build on

Stomper
09-07-2013, 02:04 PM
Sodman, the build looks awsome. Glad to see it on it's wheels. Thats a great cottage and I can see why it took you away for awhile. It sucks that people introduce species that are not native to the water ways but at least pickeral is a good eating fish. It's the fish of choice around here. At least it wasn't a snakehead. Keep up the good work. Does the sled engine perform well in the buggy and what color do you plan on painting it.

sodman
09-09-2013, 05:22 PM
Stomper , The buggy is not mobile yet still have to run throttle cable and gear up some kind of linkage to go from a morse cable to the stock throttle cable and injection cable one goes in two come out the stock cable. Color choice not sure yet would really like to powder coat but not quite sure about cost . I was at outdoor's show with my son on Sunday and was talking to marine dealer and asked about POR 15 its a marine based paint but once curded a hammer will not chip it . A speed shop that I bought some of my supplies from gave me the name of it he had seen a few engine blocks done with the POR 15 engine paint . He said it was unbelievable what the paint job looked like and the paint was brushed on. Ever heard of it ?

Stomper
09-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Nope, cant say that I've heard of the POR 15, but it sounds good. Stop Rust with POR-15 - We Know What Permanent Means! (http://www.por15.com/)

This is a interesting read if you are concidering it.
Review: POR-15 after 1.5 years of use. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (http://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/6521-review-por-15-after-1-5-years-use.html)

I would seriously consider a heavy powdercoat. I have a friend that is in the powdercoating bussiness and he did my RZR cage that I built. He put a thick layer on. I have put that thing through some serious abuse and it has held up awsome, a few minor scratches but thats amazing for what it has been through. It is actually PC'ed twice. It was originally black then I did a mod to the cage and had it done again. Instead of sandblasting down to bare metal again he just sanded the black and PC'ed over top with white. It is unbelievably tough stuff. If I ever find time to get my buggy project going again and finished I will be powdercoating it. For stuff like mating surfaces for bolt up I wouldn't recommend it to thick but for the rest I would.

Xbird
09-10-2013, 05:09 AM
As a Por-15 user, I only recommend it if you are religious about following directions and very thorough with the prep work, especially on new metal. i found 80 grit sanding followed by the acid etch works well on the new/clean metal. I have a 73 firebird that i did the entire interior, underside, subframe and inner fenders with 15 years ago and haven't had any peeling issues. street and strip car. there are a few corner chips on the subframe, but when moving a 700+ pound engine into and out of it a half dozen times over the years plus suspension rebuilds and two complete body/chassis teardowns, i don't think powdercoat would've fared any better.

Glock n Ballz
09-10-2013, 08:04 PM
Beautiful place Sodman.
I havent said much but have been quietly following your build.
Happy for your progress with the AR51.

sodman
09-26-2013, 06:28 PM
Some small projects checked off the to do list mirrors mounted hood mounted lights mounted http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/084.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/083.jpg

That's it for now more to come

wjfawb0
09-26-2013, 06:47 PM
Looking good.

I had my AR51 out tonight charging and started it. I let it sit a couple months in storage during our move, and the battery was pretty flat. My CTEK charger nursed it back, but I'm guessing the remaining life is short.

daaboots
09-26-2013, 08:36 PM
Getting closer! What color are you going to paint it?

mmobley
09-27-2013, 06:13 AM
Looks good. I have a "to do list" also. I slowly cross one thing off then I realize I have forgot about something else so I add back to it. Have you added oil to your shocks and put the nitrogen in? I assume so as it sits higher than mine. I am struggling with a paint scheme on mine. I want something different. Anyway, looks good.

Rat4020
09-27-2013, 06:16 AM
Cool Sodman :) good ta see ya takin the cap off the Sharpie and crossin a few things of yer list.. P.S The rockin chairs cool I got one sittin next to my windo in the shop LOL

sodman
10-13-2013, 09:26 AM
Belt guard is finally taking shape its taken me weeks to get this shaped and cut so I could put it together, glad I'm not charging myself by the hour. Still have the mounts to put on and some sort if air scoop to get some air moving in the cover its no completely enclosed but it should keep some of the water and crap out. Don't be to hard on me about the welds .09 aluminum done it with the stick welder and aluminum rods I got better with it the more I welded.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/001.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/005.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/007.jpg

Duane
10-13-2013, 09:35 AM
That will look fine after some polishing. I have a very nice TIG machine and struggle to get welds to look better than yours.

sodman
11-02-2013, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the feed back Duane
Still ticking off the to do list exhaust manifold planed down new gaskets , electrical fuse panel and rectifier tucked away behind the firewall Thanks for the idea Bull seen your pics and decided to copy your idea and it turned out great. I may cut an access hatch to get at the fuse panel it is only 6 bolts to remove the firewall to get at the panel but I'll see .
Was hoping to have this thing running on its own power around the yard this weekend I guess time will tell. Here's a few pics of the panel and firewall installed
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/th_008-1.jpg (http://s279.photobucket.com/user/sodman_photos/library/)

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/th_006-1.jpg (http://s279.photobucket.com/user/sodman_photos/library/)

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/th_010.jpg (http://s279.photobucket.com/user/sodman_photos/library/)

And the finished belt guard still needs a polishing 4 nuts and its off
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/001-1.jpg

Rat4020
11-02-2013, 09:46 PM
Man it looks like yer F-N dam close ta a (shake down run ) :cool: make sure ya post a vid or two :D

mmobley
11-03-2013, 06:49 AM
Looking good. It won't be long now.

sodman
11-08-2013, 06:32 PM
Here ya go Rat first video of the XC 700 AR-51. Video is a little wobbly in a few places but here it is [smilie=non_banana2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozk5smk2F9U&feature=player_detailpage

Bullnerd
11-08-2013, 07:42 PM
Congrats Mr.Man !

Oh Man! that road would get me in trouble real quick!

How much room do you have to run around up there?

Up north
11-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Damn Sodman looks good, sounds good! Is good!

Trouble675
11-08-2013, 08:21 PM
Man, that's gotta feel good!!! GREAT JOB SIR!!!

mmobley
11-09-2013, 06:52 AM
Lookin good man ! How fast do you think you had it running?

RickS.
11-09-2013, 06:57 AM
Awesome job and reverse too!
How's the ride?

K-fab
11-09-2013, 08:56 AM
That's great! [smilie=wbounce.gif]

There's nothing like that first few test runs when it works, eh? Congrats!

I don't miss the sound of the old two smoke, but man I miss the smell.

sodman
11-10-2013, 06:02 PM
Congrats Mr.Man !

Oh Man! that road would get me in trouble real quick!

How much room do you have to run around up there?

Bull, the road on the property is 1 mile from pavement to our back line . 5 minutes up the road ,your on woods roads and from there fuel would be the only issue.

Rick, the ride is nothing short of amazing I might have a little to much nitrogen in the shocks . Went Saturday afternoon up the road and got on the woods road the AR-51 is fantastic on the roads a little wet from all the rain we've been having lately but does it handle some nice. A couple of more runs and I should have it figured out . Rock solid design Rick I couldn't be happier with the way it went together and how it turned out . Thanks again for all the help a long the way

Mitch , Not sure of top speed but I'm around 60 mph with still more to go . I'll get the GPS out and take a few readings as to the speed this thing has .

daaboots
11-10-2013, 06:36 PM
Excellent job Blair!

sodman
11-12-2013, 01:44 PM
Thanks David your micro burst turned out great as well . Your video's are always done top notch. I think a Go pro might be on the Santa wish list for me this year.

Added maybe a little bling peeled the raised decales off the sled and stuck them to the AR 51. Played around with some side pieces to close the front in not sure if there what I wanted or not might grow on me . It hinds the plate work but keeps the elements out a little more

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/004-1.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/009-1.jpg

2kmoss
11-12-2013, 08:54 PM
Looks great! Bet that was one fun ride.

sodman
11-25-2013, 06:17 AM
Still playing around with the AR 51 can't seem to bring myself to tearing it down for paint. Took a wild stab and hooked up the speedometer cable to the jack shaft clipped on the GPS and see how close it was to reading true it was almost bang on give or take 1or2 MPH . Close enough for me . http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/th_002.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/th_004-2.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/th_003-1.jpg

Few pics and the young test pilot getting ready for a spin

Rat4020
11-25-2013, 06:35 AM
Hay sodman those picts are geat but man too small for old eyes ;) . Thats great yer speedo is that close , mine is only off a bit more .. At 55mph my speedo reads 147 LOL

Stomper
11-29-2013, 04:45 AM
Looks awsome Sodman. must feel nice to finally get to drive it.

sodman
12-02-2013, 09:08 AM
Thanks Stomper, yes it does feel good to sit and drive it ,much better than sitting in it and making engine noises . Any progress with yours or are you still working on the party barge.

sodman
12-19-2013, 01:18 PM
Got the emergency brake figured out and installed . There wasn't much room to put the caliper on the main disk but I made a bracket to bolt up to the front of the rear housing "any one putting a AR51 together will know". Thanks for a holes already cut into the bracing RickS. You just knew that I'd have to put a emergency brake in didn't you lol.
Anyways its all bolted up and now just have to wait on the engineer to sign off on it and I should be able to get my off road plate in the new year http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/001-2.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/005-2.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/007-2.jpg

daaboots
12-20-2013, 05:07 PM
I hope the inspection goes well for you. Whenever I get around to AR51 I plan on making it street legal as well. Let me know how it goes.

sodman
01-13-2014, 06:28 PM
Inspection this weekend is what it looks like . Here's a new video of the AR 51 and a few shots of the sabertooth it was such a nice day + 6 instead of in the minuses and snow everywhere . We lost the snow over the past week so we dug both buggies out and went for a little burn on the back hill real wet but fun just the same. Had to try the Go Pro out that Santa put under the tree . This is the front facing shot a little boring but seems to work good . I'll try to post up the rear facing tomorrow

001 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RxTm28ZJH3Q)

2kmoss
01-13-2014, 07:33 PM
Very nice! Dang you got plenty of ground to run on up there.

Trouble675
01-14-2014, 07:18 AM
Right on Sodman!

Rat4020
01-14-2014, 07:44 AM
Pretty smooooth ride there Sodman :cool:

sodman
01-14-2014, 07:57 AM
Rat as you said smooooth the more I drive it the better it feels.
Get this inspection done and then its strip it down and get this thing painted and then let the warmer weather begin.Here's the rear facing shot

002 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Jlv80lz6GTc&list=UUOsh6KD-FRDbQfR4q9_SCTg)

Up north
01-14-2014, 08:25 AM
Awesome Sodman, your buggy looks to give a very smooth ride. Watching videos of home brew buggies get me pumped to go work on mine.

mmobley
01-14-2014, 09:42 AM
Man that video was certainly smooth , crisp and clear. What go pro did SC put under your tree??

sodman
01-14-2014, 11:33 AM
Man that video was certainly smooth , crisp and clear. What go pro did SC put under your tree??

Mitch, A hero 3 Silver Edition. I haven't played around with it much. Trying to a put a little video together my son and I taped just after Christmas using the helmet mount, snowmobile, and a homemade MX racer. I'll post it up if I ever get it done being a computer genius that I am it should take me weeks .

daaboots
01-14-2014, 12:25 PM
I found that by shooting in 720 mode at 60 frames/second gave me the best quality on my older GoPro. The higher frame rate helps reduce the "jello" effect because of the vibration transmitted to the camera through the frame. I'd stay away from the GoPro CineForm studio - it really reduces the quality of the video. Windows Movie maker does a decent job for cutting and splicing.

I picked up a Hero3 Black and now I'm editing with Adobe Premier Elements. The quality is amazing!

Any progress on the inspection or was that scheduled for this weekend?

Large
01-14-2014, 02:21 PM
Like your vids Sodman... love the size of your backyard.

wjfawb0
01-14-2014, 06:57 PM
I'm guessing that's a sod field? Ha ha. Nice videos. My wife even seems interested in getting a GoPro3. She bought me one of the original GoPros for a surprise Christmas present. It's probably one of the best and most used gifts I have ever received.

sodman
02-18-2014, 09:54 AM
hi ho hi ho its off to powder coat it goes
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/005-3.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/002-1.jpg
Inspection went good so finished stripping it down last night . Loaded on the truck this morning and off to the city it went. I have no time frame depends on how busy the company that is going to sand blast is

mmobley
02-18-2014, 10:17 AM
What color ya fixen to paint it?

sodman
02-18-2014, 11:43 AM
What color ya fixen to paint it?
Mitch its sorta up in the air I made two color choices either a real dark purple" my choice" or red metallic "my sons choice" for the frame silver arms and black uprights. Buddy that owns the shop was out so I wanted to pick his brains on the colors . Being the dumb ass that I am came back to the shop and found the two rear control arms laying on the bench[smilie=banghead.gi: So I'll have to run them in to the paint shop tomorrow . I just called the powder coater and the frame has all ready gone to the sand baster shop . Final color choice will be made tomorrow.

sodman
02-25-2014, 10:20 AM
Frames back home here's a few shots
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/P1010016.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/P1010021.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/P1010022.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/SDC14177.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/SDC14178.jpg
More to follow as the put back together process moves a head
Dormant red frame , black uprights and other parts ,and silver A arms and parts

Trouble675
02-25-2014, 11:04 AM
I like it! I can't wait to see what it looks like assembled.

mmobley
02-25-2014, 02:19 PM
Nice shiny red paint reminds me of candy apple red. Now the fun begins!!!

daaboots
02-25-2014, 05:11 PM
Excellent color choice!

Duane
02-25-2014, 07:40 PM
Looks very nice!

Up north
02-25-2014, 08:06 PM
Nice color choice Blair. Can't wait for a video of this completed and ripping across the field/sod farm? Not sure what you call it.

sodman
02-28-2014, 07:43 AM
Thanks for all the compliments on the color
Things are moving a head on getting it back together I was hoping to get more done this week .I go in for a hernia surgery later today so it looks like the buggy is going to be off limits for a while . See what the doctor says the recover time is 2weeks no lifting 4-6 weeks 10 pounds or less. Anyways this is what's done so far engine is in and clutches are lined up chain case is on. Rear spool is put back together and mounted so its coming a head slow but sure
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/SDC14179.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/SDC14181.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/SDC14184.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/SDC14193.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/SDC14194.jpg

daaboots
02-28-2014, 08:27 AM
Looking good. I'm just gonna post this to make it easier for other people to view ;) Good luck with your surgery.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/SDC14179.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/SDC14181.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/SDC14184.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/SDC14193.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/SDC14194.jpg

Rat4020
02-28-2014, 08:42 AM
Man I do like that color :D

sodman
03-03-2014, 04:06 AM
Thanks for that David . How do you do that, posting the pics I use to be able to post them but lately I can only post the links to Photobucket. Surgery went well and relaxed/ laid around the house all weekend starting to get house wacky now.
Rat the color is wild when you put it out in the sun buddy at the powder coating shop said he was going for the bling factor. The clear coat has the metalic's in it one coat didn't look as good as he hoped so he decided to put the second coat on it. There seems to be a few light patches on it but I'm pleased how it turned out

Duane
03-03-2014, 08:51 AM
That metal flake looks real nice.
When you have the pic you want up on Photobucket click on the bottom link of the four they show. Then right click and paste in your post. That works for me. Don't use the same album as the special pics of your wife as they can be seen by anyone.

sodman
03-10-2014, 08:25 PM
Finally able to get at the frame again over the weekend didn't work to hard the junior mechanic helped me a long so things went pretty good I now have a roller again which feels real good . Here's a few pictures of it as it sits Sunday afternoon.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/SDC14215.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/SDC14211.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/SDC14209.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/SDC14218.jpg

Martinm210
03-10-2014, 11:55 PM
Wow, that color is Sweet!!! looks sooooo good!

mmobley
03-11-2014, 07:04 AM
I bet it was hard for the junior mechanic to not crack a big ole smile! Looks good. I like that color.

Trouble675
03-11-2014, 04:48 PM
Love it!

daaboots
03-11-2014, 05:39 PM
You just need to put the link between tags.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/SDC14215.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/SDC14211.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/SDC14209.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/SDC14218.jpg

The red looks fantastic! Whenever I get around to mine, it's defiantly going to be red like this!

2kmoss
03-11-2014, 06:54 PM
Oh man that color is sweet!

Deranged
03-12-2014, 11:43 AM
COOL!! That is SOOOOO close to the color of my buggy. It has almost a gold flake in it while in the sun.

Justin

sodman
03-12-2014, 05:18 PM
COOL!! That is SOOOOO close to the color of my buggy. It has almost a gold flake in it while in the sun.

Justin
Thanks for all comments on the color
Justin depending on the angle it changes color from gold to purple to silver fleck
Managed to get more done, pedal boxes are in, brakes are all hooked up ,dash is in, and the front kick plate is all bolted up did that yesterday slack today put the gauges in the dash and dug out the wire harness. If all goes well should have the electrical all hooked up tomorrow
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/119.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/121.jpg

Glock n Ballz
03-15-2014, 05:37 AM
Freakin awesome Sodman!![smilie=thumbs_up.g:

sodman
03-23-2014, 06:47 PM
Still moving forward all driveline in and bolted down . Right hand side panel on and fastened down ,cockpit skid plate on. The motor is up and running one or to more days should finish this up I hope.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/003_zps4415ad73.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/004_zpsa1fdb88a.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/005_zpsfa0fa2a8.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/006_zpse26bdbac.jpg

Deranged
03-23-2014, 06:53 PM
Awesome!!! Can you go into more detail on your emergency brake set up? I am shooting for being street legal. Thanks!!

Justin

mmobley
03-24-2014, 06:11 AM
I did the same thing as you concerning the panels next to your bonnet. I formed pieces identical to yours. You are almost there....then what??? 2 seater??

Rat4020
03-24-2014, 06:28 AM
Sodman looks like yull be ready to tear up the field when mother nature finaly lifts her fu'''in thumb of us all :D PS that color is sooo cool kindf of a 3-D effect

sodman
03-24-2014, 09:53 AM
Awesome!!! Can you go into more detail on your emergency brake set up? I am shooting for being street legal. Thanks!!

Justin
Justin,
The brake caliper came off of an old snowmobile that I picked at place that junks old sleds and ATV. I have no idea what it came off of . The Brake handle and cable is off a FL250 odysee . I made up the cable ends myself and silver solder them in place. I sort of screwed up with the caliper mount I may have to do a little fine tuning with it, but it seems to work good as of now. I think it could have been mounted to the rear axel housing . As you move the carrier assembly to tighten the chain the caliper on mine is fixed to the frame but even with the carriage all the way back I still have over 1/2 of the brake linings making contact with the rotor. So time will see if it works out I really just needed it for the inspection but it should come in handy from time to time

sodman
03-24-2014, 10:00 AM
I did the same thing as you concerning the panels next to your bonnet. I formed pieces identical to yours. You are almost there....then what??? 2 seater??
Ha Ha I think a devoice might happen before a 2 seater [smilie=ext_doc.gif]but my son kinda got into this build towards the end . We have been hinting to the wife that with a 2 seater and then all 4 of us could go and make it a family thing . The wife says she has the pool and mud and dust is not her thing but I'll try to get her out once or twice when it warms up

sodman
03-24-2014, 10:07 AM
Sodman looks like yull be ready to tear up the field when mother nature finaly lifts her fu'''in thumb of us all :D PS that color is sooo cool kindf of a 3-D effect
Rat , Tell me about winter woke up this morning -11 C with the wind chill around -21 c . Just caught the weather at dinner time and the B**tard weatherman is calling for over foot of snow on Wednesday [smilie=rant.gif]
I'll try to get some outdoor pics before the crap arrives on Weds.

fabdaddy
03-24-2014, 10:51 AM
OMG sodman the weather sux where you live. I was born in alaska in 1955 and left there FOR GOOD in 1989 because of that kind of weather. I now live in the BEAUTIFUL pacific north west. All four seasons here are great. no extreems. Global warming is kickin the shit outa you guys in the atlantic north east and the mid west, hell everywhere east of the rockies I guess. Im sorry for you guys and hope the ground hog sees his shadow this year. north america needs a friggin break already.Whats up. must be global cooling now . funny how you dont hear the globle warming crowd chirpin much this winter. sorry to hyjack your thread sod man yer buggy is badass good luck with the weather. hope you get to ride soon. Don

sandracer1
03-24-2014, 05:16 PM
That turned out really nice Sodmsn. Glad to see that bender got some use.
I bet that boy is driving you crazy about now. lol

sodman
03-26-2014, 02:09 PM
That turned out really nice Sodmsn. Glad to see that bender got some use.
I bet that boy is driving you crazy about now. lol

Ya the bender came in handy on this thanks for the compliment. Managed to get a few shots outside yesterday before the blizzard hit this morning. 35cm of snow with wind gusts up to 100km I could do this to the weatherman[smilie=smackbottom:
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/013_zps97dfdd3e.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/011_zps3685fc79.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/010_zps6d6a6bb6.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/001_zps8772367d.jpg

Bullnerd
03-26-2014, 03:47 PM
Damn fine job Sodman!

Up north
03-26-2014, 04:02 PM
Damn fine job Sodman!

X2. This buggy is perfect!

Large
03-26-2014, 06:27 PM
Looks a million dollars Sodman.

Rat4020
03-26-2014, 07:10 PM
Hay Sodman did I see a scratch in the lower rt frnt A-Arm:( LOL . Dam dude we need some sorta nice weather soes we can get some seat time AE !!!!

Trouble675
03-26-2014, 07:14 PM
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a617/Uglyduck675/1891007_1420424128207366_1895110172_n_zpsvttchvmu. jpg (http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/Uglyduck675/media/1891007_1420424128207366_1895110172_n_zpsvttchvmu. jpg.html)

sodman
03-26-2014, 07:55 PM
Hay Sodman did I see a scratch in the lower rt frnt A-Arm:( LOL . Dam dude we need some sorta nice weather soes we can get some seat time AE !!!!
Damn I thought no one would see that scratch, Its actually on the upper left hand A arm[smilie=ext_beer2.g:
Look at this I can't believe this winter
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/001_zpsdca49aaf.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/002_zps636645a8.jpg
Spent some time on polishing the belt guard it turned out not to bad

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/005_zps132af150.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/007_zps948c9515.jpg

sodman
04-03-2014, 07:13 AM
The last finishing touches
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/011_zps2376feef.jpg

mmobley
04-03-2014, 08:34 AM
Looks fantastic!

sodman
07-12-2014, 09:42 PM
Holy crap three months since I've posted anything on here I've been getting some seat time on this thing . This car handles fantastic and so far "I've put over 400 miles so far" the motor is working awesome. Bought a sheet of 3/16 Makrolon to make a windshield for both buggies only have one done yet and two friends that have SxS want windshields built http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/th_020_zpsead09404.jpg (http://s279.photobucket.com/user/sodman_photos/media/020_zpsead09404.jpg.html)

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/th_022_zpsa7193adb.jpg (http://s279.photobucket.com/user/sodman_photos/media/022_zpsa7193adb.jpg.html)
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/sodman_photos/th_023_zpsf69d365e.jpg (http://s279.photobucket.com/user/sodman_photos/media/023_zpsf69d365e.jpg.html)
I have a lot of raw video just none of it edited but I will get a round to it
Thanks for looking

Duane
07-13-2014, 12:23 AM
Good to hear from you. Seat time is the point of it all.

Trouble675
07-13-2014, 02:06 PM
I like it!

wjfawb0
07-14-2014, 11:12 AM
I have never put side panels or a windshield on my AR51. It's usually so dang hot down here that the more air the merrier. Running through water can be "fun" with no side shields. :o

sodman
10-31-2015, 06:50 PM
Wow over a year since my last post the buggy has been working great until June when the perc stopped working and the engine gave up the ghost the end of August. I picked up a 2007 Yamaha apex engine still In the sled chassis . Was able to see and hear the engine running so I purchased it . Now all I have to do is get the apex stuffed into the AR 51 chassis. So here I go again working on the buggy for a winter project .IMG

sodman
10-31-2015, 07:03 PM
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo212/densmoreblair/image.jpg3_zps8ksyw2a6.jpg
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo212/densmoreblair/image.jpg2_zpsijrz9raz.jpg
Trying to figure out this I pad out not having great luck hopefully this will work

Bwdeaton
11-02-2015, 06:47 AM
That's gonna be a tight fit:D. The apex is a 4-stroke correct? More torque and quicker throttle response than 2t. Good luck on the swap.

sodman
11-02-2015, 06:43 PM
Bedeaton You are correct 4 stroke fuel injected the motor should fit I lengthen the frame by 5.75 inches from behind the seat when I built the chassis just to give me room for the 2 stroke exhaust pipe. Rick's put a 1000 cc inline 4 gsxr motor in one of his AR 51 . The apex engine even with the primary clutch is not that much wider than the 700 Polaris engine. Just have to figure out the engine cradle frame work and machine new side pieces to hold jack shaft and axel bearings and the chain case and I should be golden. I machined the engine mount bushings tonight now I need some steel for the frame work then I can start doing some gas in ta's

Bullnerd
11-02-2015, 08:10 PM
Good to see you Sodman.

Looking forward to seeing some new vids with your new engine.

I drive through some very large sod farms on my way to work everyday. All I can think of when I see them is....CR500!

Jerm
11-03-2015, 05:05 AM
Hey sodman are you planning on using the chaincase from the apex? Or using the existing chaincase you already had in it? I'd like to see pictures of how you got that thing in there.

Rat4020
11-03-2015, 06:23 AM
Sodman whouldnt it be easier to just bight the bullet and get a RPM box & eliminate the jack shaft . You would have plenty of room to mount the apex and box into your existing frame compaired to what you got gonin on now with the pissaris set up

daaboots
11-05-2015, 01:22 PM
Here you go buddy ;)

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo212/densmoreblair/image.jpg3_zps8ksyw2a6.jpg (http://s377.photobucket.com/user/densmoreblair/media/image.jpg3_zps8ksyw2a6.jpg.html)

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo212/densmoreblair/image.jpg2_zpsijrz9raz.jpg (http://s377.photobucket.com/user/densmoreblair/media/image.jpg2_zpsijrz9raz.jpg.html)

sodman
01-06-2016, 05:47 PM
Two months and I'm finally getting some work done on this engine transplant . It's taking me longer than I thought it would but slow and steady wins the race . Here's what the cradle sub frame looks like http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo212/densmoreblair/image.jpg1_zpsemt1dpxj.jpg
A few more with the motor bolted in and the side pieces on http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo212/densmoreblair/image.jpg1_zps8xayya4q.jpg
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo212/densmoreblair/image.jpg1_zpsstxfky4l.jpg
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo212/densmoreblair/image.jpg1_zpspnde8xko.jpg
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo212/densmoreblair/image.jpg1_zpsdp4i3ghh.jpg
Next is fuel pump , sender unit, and return fuel line installed in the fuel tank

Jerm
01-07-2016, 03:53 PM
yes i was hoping you would mount it like that! looks great!
Does that chaincase have reverse?

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo212/densmoreblair/image.jpg1_zpsj0oxodxs.jpg

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo212/densmoreblair/image.jpg1_zpslicsdozz.jpg