PDA

View Full Version : ST4 driver's legspace...

Binze
10-19-2011, 10:03 AM
Hey, I am trying to solve some problems, did anyone try to measure the knee angles while sitting in ST4? I am looking for way to modify something to make sitting in ST4 more comfortable.
Look at the picture below, could it be seat fault? Maybe seat is too much angled, and that makes it to take lots of space behind it? Or plans were made not measured properly and with huge mistake? :confused:
What's the solution? Try other seat, cut whole chassis and make it longer?
Any opinion would be useful... [smilie=wink.gif]

Binze
10-19-2011, 10:09 AM
http://www.4kolka.pl/pliki/bimarco/cobraschem.jpg
My seat's dimensions.

badlandbuggy
10-19-2011, 10:57 AM
Binze,

ST4 is designed to have ample leg room. The typical measurement from the base of the seat (butt crack) to the pedals is 36"-42" depending on the drivers height & leg length. You want your knees to be bent at around 30-40 degree angle to be able to depress the pedals fully during braking, if necessary. The original design for ST4 uses an RCI bucket racing seat (which is the same seat ST2-NG, ST2-LT, Sabretooth, Velociraptor all use) & Wilwood reverse mount pedal unit.

Looks like your seat back is further back in dimensions as compared to the RCI bucket seat. That would be part of the issue. Your seat is probably all the back to the firewall too, correct? Easiest solution is to cut the firewall, move your seat back & form a new firewall.

What pedal unit did you use? There may be some slight differences there too.

I always like to actually sit in the seat during the mock-up stage to ensure you have the seat, pedals, steering, shifter & controls all tailered for the driver, before we weld anything out fully. A seat glider helps too for adjustability. Hope this helps clarify.

You can always contact us direct at info@badlandbuggy.com or 1-780-298-1098 for any specific questions & a faster, personal response. I'm always available.

Cheers,

Bruce
badlandbuggy.com

Binze
10-19-2011, 11:18 AM
Thanks for response Bruce,
Speaking about seat, it can be an issue of it's size, but I can't move it any backward, look closer of the top firewall, I welded in upper engine mounts brace, and seat almost hitting it, so no space in there, I could cut it and remake it, but it won't give results that I wanted, because then the engine's exhaust need to be reworked, radiator etc...
Pedals, are far as they can go, an inch more, pedal would be hitting panels, so no chance here...
So for now solution is try another seat...

ProtoDie
10-19-2011, 12:24 PM
that looks very cramped.

you can gain 3-6" more of leg room by using a different seat.

I use Kirkey racing seats with a padded seat cover
http://www.protodie.com/images/Catalog%20part%20pics/K100MS.JPG

http://www.protodie.com/images/Catalog%20part%20pics/K101MS.JPG

I was going to use a seat similar to yours in a build,,,but lost 4" of head clearance height,,,,and approx 4" of leg room.

The padded cover is very comfortable,,,and removable for washing the car

Gene
10-19-2011, 01:01 PM
Protodie's solution is the easiest IMO.

Personally I would have made the cab longer between the A pillar and C pillar. I don't know the dimensions of the plan or how much room is behind the firewall.

I use a Beard or PRP suspension seat, which is very common in cars such as this. Id want to be able to stretch out, move the seat on rails and have my pedals adjustable.

Another 4 inches of cab would have allowed for your seat selection, disregarding fire wall and engine location. That may not have been according to the plan but it would be more pleasing to my eye and to you sitting in the car in the seat you currently have.

SCEADU
10-19-2011, 01:45 PM
After seeing you in yours Binze, I think that I am going to add a 2nd roll bar behind the first and leave about an inch between the 2. A little extra weight but more protection and leg room.

Binze
10-19-2011, 03:26 PM
Seat change would be good thing, but the thing is, here, where I live, is nothing similar to alu seat, all "Rally" type seats,
What if, tilt back of the seat, remove firewall and make butt go through firewall sliding as much as possible, with this, I would loose sitting angle, but this angle is too much for me, in my opinion.

badlandbuggy
10-19-2011, 04:11 PM
Firewall modification sounds like the next logical step

sodman
10-19-2011, 05:32 PM
Binze not much help for ya here but there was a guy I can't remember the threads name but he made a seat almost identical to the seat that PRo die showed on his post . I'm not sure but I think he was from down under might check a few posts in project section . Someone else might chime in on the name of the thread . he did he a real good job on it you might be able to get the drawing from him. If I come across it I'll let you know
Later Sodman

sodman
10-19-2011, 05:36 PM
Found it " Piranha build in Australia" his name is Jester
this might help ya out
Sodman

Binze
10-20-2011, 03:28 AM
Found it " Piranha build in Australia" his name is Jester
this might help ya out
Sodman
Thanks, I know that seat, I made it for my first project :D, from the same drawings.

darin
10-20-2011, 06:42 PM
you are so rite ther bruce as my seat is more uprite and a 6foot person would have leg room i would look in2 a new seat binze. The fornt of my seat comes to that center brace on the side bars and you look at how far past urs is dude

willhowardair
11-10-2011, 11:13 AM
I'm 6'3" tall, so i needed a little more room. So here's what I did:

add 6" to piece 11 on ST4C-003 dwg
did the math & changed piece #2 on ST4C-005 to make the assembly 3" taller
did math for "A" pillar tube to make it hit at "A" pillar on ST4C-009(both legs were longer)
Added 6" to Square Tube"01" on ST4C-008
This Gave me a LOT better seating arrangement, and made it a LOT more comfortable

mickjakob
12-23-2011, 09:27 PM
i extended my frame by 150 mm and solved the prob