PDA

View Full Version : All Edge Products plans 50% this week!

ErwinBnl
08-31-2011, 08:40 AM
Hey everybody!

I follow The Edge Products on Facebook. This morning they announced that they sell all their buggy plans this week for 50% of the normal price!![smilie=ecstatic.gi:

This includes the awesome Barracuda and Piranha!

I just post it here so the guys that are looking for a buggy to build can buy the plans this week with a great discount!:cool:

More info:
www.eziplans.com (http://www.eziplans.com) <-- Place to buy your buggy plans!
www.edge.au.com (http://www.edge.au.com) <-- Edge Products website
www.edgebuggyforums.com (http://www.edgebuggyforums.com) <-- Their buggy forum with lots of buggy build topics.

This discount is this week only! From today until the 7th of September!

Greetings,
Erwin

Stomper
08-31-2011, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the info. I may have to get a set for that price. I have always liked the Cuda. I was looking on their site but couldn't find any where if the plans com with DXF files for lazer cutting all the plate work. Does any one know?

antioch
08-31-2011, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the info. I may have to get a set for that price. I have always liked the Cuda. I was looking on their site but couldn't find any where if the plans com with DXF files for lazer cutting all the plate work. Does any one know?

Don't beleive so... or I didn't get it. My undersatnding is they don't want to do this to prevent 3rd parties from making parts. I beleive others may have done there own set of DXF's & shared them..

ErwinBnl
08-31-2011, 01:09 PM
I believe that if you mail Tony Sanger or ask it on the Edge buggy forum, they mail you a set of DXF files for the parts. But not the same parts as Edge itself sells.. only the 'standard' ones.

Stomper
08-31-2011, 03:55 PM
I should hope that the plans would at least have the measurements for the platework. Wouldn't they:confused:. I have the ability to make my own DXF files.

RickS.
08-31-2011, 04:20 PM
They do, but only the basic shapes without any sweeping or artistic form.
They are dimensioned as if you were going to shear the plates out.

Stomper
08-31-2011, 10:35 PM
well I just bought the plans. I just took a quick look at them but the look a bit confusing. maybe it all of the metric measurements. My name and adress printed across every page doesn't help either. Rick, I didn't see any laser cutting files with my plans unless I missed them some how.

RickS.
09-01-2011, 05:48 AM
They don't include dxf files. Only dimensions for the basic shapes with hole locations.
Then they entice you with pretty pictures of what you get if you buy the platework from The Edge.
Their plans are laid out for the home builder who does not have access to laser.
Everything is dimensioned with straight cuts.

RickS.
09-01-2011, 05:55 AM
I can understand why they don't give out the dxf files.
If they did then pretty soon they are all over the Internet with customers just sending the files to whoever.

ErwinBnl
09-01-2011, 06:06 AM
I can understand also, like Rick says.

But is your name and adress printed on every page as some kind of watermark?
It prevents you to put the entire plans on the Internet because then everyone who downloads it, knows where you live.. cleaver from The Edge!

But I can understand that it's very annoying when you look at the pages. I'm planning of buying a set of Barracuda plans also.. I hope that you can still read every page without having trouble with the watermark.

tomattnt
09-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Hi, I just ordered the down load version of the Barracuda plans to take advantage of the 50% savings
and the fact that i really like the product. When i opened the files they were terrible the linework was
fuzzy and the copy (words) were almost unreadable, i sure hope this is not the normal quality from
Edge Products, Has any body else received their plans and experienced this. I also sent for plans
from Buggy Innovations and i received them yesterday and they were great , clean precise . Could
it be the way i down loaded them, i followed the instructions.?

ErwinBnl
09-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Hmm...

I really want those plans but I don't really know what to expect with that watermark etc?:eek:

Is anyone willing to mail me a print screen of one of the plans pages? Then I know what you all mean..

I don't put it on the Internet and I respect your personal data (address on the background of every page?:confused:) I will be the only one that will see that page..

Please tell me if you want to do that for me... I will send you my email address with an personal message...

It will help me a lot!
Thansk, Erwin

leok
09-02-2011, 09:21 PM
I got my Baracuda plans two years ago as a bound hard copy .... no watermark then. It must be a new thing with the downloadable version. I made two extra copies for the shop and to carry around in the car while buying steel etc.. The line work on the drawings was all nice and crisp. With some study I had no problems understanding everything.

There is a lot of work converting the metric to english if you are in the states. All of the thicknesses and diameter will need to be adjusted to what is avaliable. I also found the dimensioning on some of the more complex parts to be incomplete making calculations necessary (simple addition and subtraction as well as trig) to locate features.

Also, just a warning, if you don't use Edge parts for brake calipers, wheels etc. you will need to adjust dimensions to get everything to fit. I have spent a lot of time re-working parts on my build to get everything to fit.

Leo

ErwinBnl
09-04-2011, 05:06 PM
I bought the Edge Barracuda plans about an hour ago and I just started reading.

No DXF files from the Barracuda as been told earlier.
Also, the building plans are scanned.. No clear PDF quality as it should be:mad:
And some pages are skew in the PDF document. All the text I've seen so far is quite readable but the quality is low. It's like the document is printed a lóng time ago with bad inkt and paper and is scanned to PDF now:mad:

And about the watermark.. that's also true! Your Name, full address and email address is printed on every page with measurements on it:mad::mad: It's quite annoying yes!!!

Didn't expect this from a big buggy designer/developer as The Edge..

nutz4sand
09-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Then it seems its no bargain at all. I would not mind having a hardbound Barracuda plans to go with my Piranha book.

But I would not pay for what this sounds like it may be.

bluezone
09-05-2011, 12:37 AM
I have the Bound books and they are mint. No watermarks.

Cant see why the PDF version would be so bad. You would think it would be better then the bound book version as the files would have been designed on pc.

I have just about all the edge plans, bound versions and love there work.

RickS.
09-05-2011, 06:54 AM
IMO Edge should be creating their master PDF file by plotting to PDF right out of the Solidworks files.
This watermark may be the reason they can't do it that way.
Even my hard copy is scanned, but the quality is good. Some of the page numbers are hand written.

ErwinBnl
09-05-2011, 08:44 AM
I expected good quality PDF's like Badland's ST4.. They have a example on their website:

http://www.badlandbuggy.com/st4/ST4_Sample_Drawings.pdf

Instead, I get plans like this..

(I used a couple of examples but deleted all the measurements etc, so there can't be build a buggy from it;))

bluezone
09-05-2011, 03:44 PM
That watermark would piss me off.

Stomper
09-06-2011, 07:35 PM
That watermark would piss me off.

Yep, it sure does. Makes it a pain in the a$$ to read. I'm not real impressed with the quality of the plans. I have the ST2 plans in hard copy and they are put together way better.IMO

jschatte
09-09-2011, 09:30 PM
I also got some of these plans to reference to for my rear suspension. They are pretty low quality and the weldment drawings are not very clear. There are also missing dimensions in a few of the drawings. Not to mention the watermark sucks. I have no idea how someone could build a buggy off these plans...

Stomper
09-10-2011, 10:52 PM
Take a look at page 177, the "PIRCV side plates" I can't tell which are dimmension lines and which are the actual part lines:confused::confused:WTF. No wonder they were 50% 0ff[smilie=alright.gif]

nutz4sand
09-10-2011, 11:02 PM
A bad case of yah gets what yah pays for?

Sad really they would not make sure this was decent quality even at this price.

Maybe they will make it right and get clear plans out to the buyers.

Stomper
09-11-2011, 12:25 AM
So, what you are saying is, if I would have bought the plans at full price I would have received better plans. It's hard to beleive that they have two sets of plans. Full price-good quality and 1/2 price- crapy quality.
There seems to be a fair amount of Barracudas built before this cheap plan deal. Can anyone with those plans comment about the quality of their plans. Are they the same plans. Maybe I'm being too fussy.
Don't get me wrong, I still think it was a good deal to get the cuda plans for $52 cdn. I am just surprised the downlodable version is clearer.

nutz4sand
09-11-2011, 12:48 AM
So, what you are saying is, if I would have bought the plans at full price I would have received better plans.

Seesm that way. The book they sell or used to sell was pretty dang nice.

It's hard to beleive that they have two sets of plans. Full price-good quality and 1/2 price- crapy quality.

The bound book copy was like 150 I think. But pretty sharp.

There seems to be a fair amount of Barracudas built before this cheap plan deal. Can anyone with those plans comment about the quality of their plans. Are they the same plans. Maybe I'm being too fussy.
Don't get me wrong, I still think it was a good deal to get the cuda plans for $52 cdn. I am just surprised the downlodable version is clearer.

A lot of guys have the book and I beleive many to most were built off of it.

It was not downloadable (but they did that too I beleieve ) but the book was mailed to you.

leok
09-11-2011, 09:21 PM
I got my Barracuda plans about two years ago. No watermark, bound hard copy with one of those plastic comb thingies.
I followed the plans as closely as I could. The problems I had are generally in three catigories. 1) changing all of the dimensions into english from metric. Since a lot of joint dimensions are stacks of metric components a lot of attention needs to be given to figure things out correctly. 2) Missing dimensions. I was able to work out what I needed from the dimensions that were there, but in some cases it took trig to work out since all that was given was an angle and a length on the angle. 3) I used many purchased parts that were not from Edge and didn't fit as designed. The worst was fitting a 65 tooth sprocket (instead of 60) and a GSXR 6 puck caliper for the brakes. Lots of extra work/rework to fit everything.

Good luck, overall it's an awsome buggy. [smilie=jumping.gif]

Leo

Stomper
09-13-2011, 10:19 PM
Leok
I just read through your build thread a couple days ago you did some very nice work. If I remember right, you did everything from scratch. no lasercut parts or farmed out machining. You did everything the old fashion way by yourself. IF I remember corectly that is.

leok
09-16-2011, 08:01 PM
Stomper,

Yes, I did build, plasma cut, turn and mill all for the parts for my buggy ..... except for shocks (FOA), GSXR calipers, 65 tooth sprocket, bearings and (Summit Racing) Steering Wheel. It was integrating these into the design after the fact that added soooo much work.
The calipers were too wide which required spacers and new mounts needed to be done. The sprocket had to be offset with a spacer, and a special bash plate fabricated. The fact that I wanted the clutch on a pedal instead of the shifter added all sorts of complications to the steering system as noted in my build thread.
My message in the post above is that the plans are great .... just don't expect everything to fit unless you buy the purchased components from Edge. Or better yet, modify the design as needed before you fabricate if you can figure things out ahead.

Leo

Stomper
09-17-2011, 06:17 AM
Yeah I understand about modifications. I have a couple sets of plans now and I am taking ideas that I like from both plans as well as ideas from other builds that I see and I am modifying them to fit my own design. It is alot of work and very frustrating sometimes, with a few "do overs" also, but I am way to pig headed and want to make my own design, weather thats a good idea or not. I beleive it will turn out good as there is always lots of great help from the members here.

wjfawb0
09-28-2011, 01:26 PM
I just purchased and downloaded a set of the Piranha plans from Edge. They are not super crisp, clean images, but I am not having any trouble reading the info off of them. I read a lot of crappy steel prints at work, so I've become very good at finding dimensions and discerning dimensions from part lines. Also, I thought I noticed a link to DXF files for parts on the download page, but after downloading the plans, I can not get back into my account. I'll have to wait until tomorrow for an email response.

I'm going to try to get started this winter on building a kart or buggy of some sort. The ubuilditplans shredder II seems to be the easiest option for something that will fit in the back of my F150, but I really, really want a bike engined IRS buggy like the Piranha. [smilie=jumping.gif] I'd have to trailer the piranha, but it would be worth it, right?

nutz4sand
09-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Mini Sandrail & Off Road Go Kart Parts and Plans (http://www.desertkarts.com/)

Mini Rail Go Kart Plans (http://www.desertkarts.com/productCat23857.ctlg)

You might be able to get a Piranha in a truck bed. Or might have to get a flatbed truck.

This above buggy can be made to fit inside a fullsize truck bed or on a smaller truck with a custom rack. Its a popular machine to build as well and with a few improvements are a lot of fun. Its also straight forward to build.

I have the booklet Piranha plans and the plans for the DK above. The Piranha plans are a little more detailed but it is a little more complex machine with more parts to build to make it completed VS the DK Panther.

The Panther plans are pretty easy to follow.

Stomper
09-30-2011, 10:03 PM
I thought I noticed a link to DXF files for parts on the download page, but after downloading the plans, I can not get back into my account
Yeah, I emailed edge and they said that they will not give out or sell the dxf file for the plate work. I guess you realy can't blame them though. It was worth a try though.

nutz4sand
09-30-2011, 10:10 PM
I thought I noticed a link to DXF files for parts on the download page, but after downloading the plans, I can not get back into my account
Yeah, I emailed edge and they said that they will not give out or sell the dxf file for the plate work. I guess you realy can't blame them though. It was worth a try though.

Yes we can! The rest is nearly useless without these plates.

There are so many ways in a hitech shop to copy parts these days hiding the DXF files only hurt the little guy. Most of these little guys are the ones buying the plans anyways.

Doug Heim
10-02-2011, 08:55 PM
I have all the plate work available if you need any. it is all professionally done with all the fancy sweeps and such. Just E-mail me at Dheim4@new.rr.com if interested

wjfawb0
10-04-2011, 08:23 PM

I noticed the same link and was also locked out after downloading the piranha plans. They got me access after I emailed them, but now my account no longer exists again.

Stomper
10-10-2011, 01:19 PM
Were they the dxf files for the plate work

Mowby
02-05-2012, 02:37 AM
FYI. I bought the plans a year ago and they had the 'Water mark' on them which actually can be taken off if you know what you are doing. Understandable that they do it (Kind of) but on mine a lot of the dimensions and lines were covered over[smilie=gun_bash.gi: Hence the reason i took it off[smilie=rockout3.gi:. As for the quality/price they were about $100 and most of the pages looked like they were scanned in, bit fuzzy pages offset and twisted but more than good enough to build off(without the watermark) printed out to A3 looked pretty good. As for the dxf, that would be handy. I started drawing up some of the parts but havent got time atm due to other things higher on the list.