PDA

View Full Version : the best rack and pinion supports!

brooksie2113
08-17-2011, 03:20 AM
Today i discovered a awsome part. The linear bearing. Similar to a pillowblock whitch allows spinning motion. Linear bearings allow in and out travel.. unfortunatly us guys with 7/8 racks are out of luck.. they dont make a 7/8....but just about every other size are avalible.. they are what i would use if i could.. at bearing+housing avg=90e...

TutTech
08-17-2011, 07:42 AM
Can you give a link or photo of what they are.. sounds interesting.. thanks

:)

yoshi
08-17-2011, 09:37 AM
Can you give a link or photo of what they are.. sounds interesting.. thanks

:)

Picture below. This only works for side to side racks, and I don't see how these will help support since there is still no support once that shaft extends out of the bearing.

There is a better way to support the shaft all the way to the end that does use bearings. It will work for both a side to side and a center load setup, but no one has built it yet and i've been too lazy to do it myself, lol....

brooksie2113
08-18-2011, 02:44 AM
U can install racks that the shaft floats on. U can instal them above and below the bearing. :) pics linear bearings - Google Search (http://www.google.com/m/search?site=images&source=mog&hl=en&gl=us&client=ms-android-verizon&q=linear%20bearings&sa=N#i=1)

This picture shows multiple applications. However u can infact support the shaft out of the bearing. Ref: picture with black rail in that link. U can install above and below the shaft for support. And on each side their iz room for a heim to travel! These guys provide smooth.. baby bottom smooth travel. Also without the rail.hence these are very pricey... the bearing and housing alone would ztrengthen. Setup like mine where i was forced to create extensions for my rack... and they could be installed 1/4"shy of max steering right and left to eliminate the most amount of leaverage on the arms. Checkmate. :) hehe. [smilie=alright.gif]

brooksie2113
08-18-2011, 02:46 AM
linear bearings - Google Search (http://www.google.com/m/search?site=images&source=mog&hl=en&gl=us&client=ms-android-verizon&q=linear%20bearings&sa=N#i=50) closer more detail

brooksie2113
08-18-2011, 02:47 AM
U basically set the depth of your bearing in relation to tolerence between shaft and rail. .003 .007 ect...