PDA

View Full Version : Suburban radiator

sledhead21
08-16-2011, 12:53 PM
Just curious if the size of the radiator matters? I have a 93 suburban radiator sitting around. I was wondering if it will work for a sandrail with a cbr1000 motor. Is there such thing as to big of radiator?

ah09
08-16-2011, 12:59 PM
No you cant have too big, but you can have too ugly. I tossed the idea of using a vw rabbit rad I had but when I set it in my buggy it looked stupid. Get a 2 row aluminum civic one off ebay $75 and they look bad ass... they cool bike engines great and are compact.

sledhead21
08-16-2011, 01:10 PM
That's true I guess I don't want it looking ugly. Ill figure how to make it look good or I'll just break down and buy a civic radiator.

Chikin
08-16-2011, 01:30 PM
Not to mention that the Suburban Radiator a HUGE .... it does have built in coolers but not worth the look once installed.... I agree on the civic Radiator.

nutz4sand
08-16-2011, 03:22 PM
I will go a lil different route and say that you actually can have to big.

A motor needs to get up to a certain temperature to run right and a radiator that big might not let it happen.

The other points are valid as well. Its to big and to ugly to have hanging on a buggy. Unless its a MONSTER buggy made out of the suburban itself.

Wmdew3500
08-16-2011, 03:42 PM
heres mine it has the rad. Ah09 was talkking about, alum, 2row, came with elec fan and all mounting hardware to my house for 89.00

lost26
08-16-2011, 07:15 PM
I have a noob question...Is there a problem with having 2 radiators? Maybe a small one up front and one in rear? I know you would have to hose it through the inside somewhere but would it work or be beneficial? It's been HOT here and just thinking out loud.:)

nutz4sand
08-16-2011, 07:23 PM
Two radiators can work fine. As you noted just gotta plumb them in.

The biggest rules is you need ENOUGH radiator to cool the motor you are using. As long as the two are big enough together you will be fine.

Deranged
08-16-2011, 09:06 PM
I would run 2 suburban radiators, standing straight up, and make it look like am sprint car... Just kiddin'.. Maybe you could make the radiator part of a wing to hide it?

ah09
08-16-2011, 09:21 PM
heres mine it has the rad. Ah09 was talkking about, alum, 2row, came with elec fan and all mounting hardware to my house for 89.00

I cannot see the best from the pic, But but it doesn't seem like there are rubber mounts holding on your radiator... you might want to consider putting ot on grommets if not. MC engines and the off road riding cause alot of vibration and that can wreck your radiator in a hurry. And repairs can cost in excess of the value of a whole radiator. Just a heads up.

Wmdew3500
08-18-2011, 07:16 AM
I cannot see the best from the pic, But but it doesn't seem like there are rubber mounts holding on your radiator... you might want to consider putting ot on grommets if not. MC engines and the off road riding cause alot of vibration and that can wreck your radiator in a hurry. And repairs can cost in excess of the value of a whole radiator. Just a heads up.

its hard to see in those pics but there are rubber little bushing things i found in between rad and the mounts. Thanks though.