PDA

View Full Version : which radiator to use?

alex_buggy
07-14-2011, 05:49 PM
hi...i am building a buggy with a suzuki gsxr 600 engine and i noticed that the radiator has 2 big cores and one smaller. i would like to use a civic radiator but i dont know how to connect it. help please...

plkracer
07-15-2011, 12:44 AM
There should be the large cold side intake into the pump on the bottom of the engine (this should go to the bottom of the radiator), and the large hot output on the backside of the engine, where the thermostat is (this should go to the top of the engine). There is also the medium (~1/2 inch) hose that comes from the oil cooler, and this should also go to the top of the engine. Finally, there should be a very small hose that comes from the top of the thermostat housing. This hose helps to bleed air from the thermostat so the motor doesn't overheat. If air gets caught near the thermostat, it will not sense the true temperature of the water, and will not open, causing the motor to overheat. This hose needs to go to the top of the radiator also, the higher the better. Also, make sure there is a constant rise to this hose. It cannot have any spots where it is horizontal or pointing downward.

When I filled my engine with coolant, I lowered the small hose into a bucket to ensure the air was purged properly.

alex_buggy
07-15-2011, 05:22 AM
aa ok thank you again... another question civic rads are good? they are made of alum. but the price.something has to be wrong with them. but i see that most of you use them.

CARLRIDDLE
07-15-2011, 06:09 AM
They are cheap, but the size is right and thats what counts. I think mine was $90 w/fan and shipping. I would reccommend them.

odypilots
07-15-2011, 06:32 AM
I've had two, a single core and a dual core. They both worked fine, with the dual core cooling quite a bit better.

plkracer
07-15-2011, 01:08 PM
I have a large (2 inch deep) single core, single pass radiator. Mine works great. Its has welded tanks, so I haven't had a problem with leaking, but it costed about 100 without a fan.

ah09
08-04-2011, 04:01 PM
Civic Aluminum rad:

As long as I'm moving with my zx750 engine, I never need the fan it always stays cool. I bought the cheapest one with a fan ($75). I like it and recommend it. Standard sized grommets from a harware store work very well for the mounting posts. Only things i would advise is to get a shroud for it to mount the fan. The mounting system it comes with is a bit flimsy. And when you get the radiator shake it a few times, I had two nickel sized pieces of aluminum fall out the lower outlet. Nothing major just scraps from manufacuture i'm sure. IMO you cannot find a better MC powered buggy radiator.

TutTech
08-06-2011, 01:35 PM
So with the 2 extra lines going into everyones radiators what are you guys doing to mount them?
Taking your radiaters in to have extra fittings or inlets put on them?
1 for the 1/2 inch oil cooler line and the 2nd for the small bleeder line?

Or just adding tee's. And if so how or what tees are you guys using or doing to set it up.
The honda radiater only has a single inlet and outlet then the overflow off the fill cap kneck.

So what'cha guys doing to plumb it?
Thanks
:)

ah09
08-06-2011, 10:55 PM
So with the 2 extra lines going into everyones radiators what are you guys doing to mount them?
Taking your radiaters in to have extra fittings or inlets put on them?
1 for the 1/2 inch oil cooler line and the 2nd for the small bleeder line?

Or just adding tee's. And if so how or what tees are you guys using or doing to set it up.
The honda radiater only has a single inlet and outlet then the overflow off the fill cap kneck.

So what'cha guys doing to plumb it?
Thanks
:)

I used water temperature sensor adapters from ebay. They are basically aluminum hose menders with npt outlets you can put a barb on.
Also work good for fan switches.

Water Temperature Radiator sensor gauge adapter 1" 26mm | eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Water-Temperature-Radiator-sensor-gauge-adapter-1-26mm-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cba744565QQitemZ26082 6219877QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries)

RickS.
08-07-2011, 06:19 AM
For the extra hoses I just drill and tap out the small mounting bosses on the upper tank.
Then install a 1/8 npt hose barb fitting.
With the civic radiator and oil cooler my buggy runs under 210.
Only time the fan kicks on is if the buggy is left idling.
Even then about 15 sec is all it takes to bring the temp down.
http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo76/Krasch_Design/upperhose.jpg