PDA

View Full Version : Mini sand rail dune buggy

brandon12345
07-08-2011, 11:41 AM
I just bought this dune buggy with no engine and i was wondering if i should put a sled engine in it or a gas engine like it had.....it is all set up for a gas engine.

nutz4sand
07-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Both engines are gas engines.

Question is do you wanna shift or gas it and go?

Sled engine will require some rework. Maybe extensive.

Might be some good rework too if you go with a different bike engine than it had.

Do you know the exact motor its set up for? Are you good with that brand? Size?

CARLRIDDLE
07-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Here ya go:http://www.minibuggy.net/forum/sale/15458-yamaha-r6.html

badlandbuggy
07-08-2011, 03:40 PM
That's an ST2-NG which was originally designed around a sled engine but can also easily accept a motorcycle engine. Drop me a line at info@badlandbuggy.com for complimentary drawings on how install a sled engine layshaft system that bolts on to your existing set-up (if you decide to go with a sled engine). This set up moves the driven clutch from normally in front of the sled engine & repositions it to behind the engine. A motorcycle engine set up is direct drive to the center drive shaft via chain then make your own mounts for the motorcycle engine.

I've installed both types engines in an ST2-NG before, many times. A liquid cooled, fuel injected, chain driven motorcycle engine with electric start is the way to go, in my opinion. Sled engines can be tempermental with belt slippage when wet or muddy, you have to modify the springs in the clutch to handle the torque & weight, you will have to build a custom exhaust (if the sled engine is a 2 stroke, you'll have to maintain correct backpressure/expansion chamber in the 2 stroke exhaust dimensions, it's tricky), you may also have to re-jet the carbs to account for ambient temperature to get a better fuel mixture, plus, you just get more power & reliability from a motorcycle engine, without having to tune it to the vehicle as much.

The cool thing about a sled engine is if you can find one with electronic reverse then you get a buggy with automatic transmission (CVT) & reverse without adding alot of extra weight. No shifting gears which is easier to drive.

Hope this helps in your engine selection. Bruce, badlandbuggy.com

brandon12345
07-09-2011, 10:45 AM
What i meant by a gas engine is like an industrial type engine....i have a f-n-r box on it already that why i didnt think i could put a motorcycle engine in it.

brandon12345
07-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Its set up for an industrial type engine...pretty much like a lawnmower engine

nutz4sand
07-09-2011, 10:48 AM
The FNR box it has. Can you get some specifics off it? It may be able to handle a lot and it may break with low power.

Even some close up pics of it will maybe help somone ID it and know what it can take. Reverse is nice to have ESPECIALLY if you run hills and woods.

brandon12345
07-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Here are some pics of it hopefuly you can help me

brandon12345
07-09-2011, 11:08 AM
These were the best i could get, i currently have a 13hp briggs and stratton engine on it just to see if it is set up for it, i want a engine with alot of jam but i too was wondering if i would blow my FNR box

nutz4sand
07-09-2011, 11:17 AM
I gotta admit I have never seen one of those trannies but I would be scared to send more than 15-20 horse with a CVT belt tranny thru it. Be hard to replace it maybe?

nutz4sand
07-09-2011, 11:19 AM
Hopefulley somone else on here has seen that particular unit and knows what it might take.

brandon12345
07-09-2011, 11:40 AM
I am new to this stuff so i dont quite know how i would do that could you help me? :)

brandon12345
07-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Do you know how i could make a whole new set up?

nutz4sand
07-09-2011, 11:54 AM
If I had to argue thats a odd fit due to the location of the engine right over the sprocket.

I have seen guys use Yamaha Raptor engines in this arrangement as the chain can run right out the bottom of the case. Its got electric start and reverse and decent power. Great if you wanna shift.

If you wish to keep it "automatic" with the cvt there are options but as mention before the two stroke pipes can be a bit of a thing to work around.

brandon12345
07-09-2011, 12:20 PM
So if i was to get say a raptor engine how would i run it to my main sprocket? Another question lol what would be my options to keep it automatic with the cvt because finding a raptor would be a little hard. :P

nutz4sand
07-09-2011, 12:26 PM
The Raptor sprocket is on the other side so that would need to be addressed. Options for keeping it automatic would be a small sled engine or another industrial engine.

brandon12345
07-09-2011, 12:42 PM
I have a 13hp brigs and stratton on it right now i just need to wire up the throttle and i can put around on it lol, im going to look into that thoguh or a motocycle engine
maybe i can find one with the chain on the right.. i could switch placed with the brake disc and caliper with the sprocket.

CARLRIDDLE
07-09-2011, 01:14 PM
Looks like a comet box. If so good to about 16hp. An ATV engine should be a pretty easy swap. Id love to sell that r6 I posted, but most of the driveline stuff most likly would have to upgraded too.

brandon12345
07-09-2011, 02:05 PM
Would I run it through the comet box? or straight to the driveline?

KrunchWorkz
07-10-2011, 12:17 AM
It is a comet F-N-R box.

218390A - Forward / Reverse Gearbox (http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/218390A.html)

The Comet Gearbox is for go-karts, utility vehicles and other applications up to 16 hp. Lightweight, rugged gearbox that allows operator the selection of three positions: forward, neutral and reverse. Forward ratio is 1:1 and the reverse ratio is 2.7:1. Use this gearbox with a Comet torque converter system. Output shaft length is 1/2" (not including thread length). Maximum input shaft speed of 4000 rpm. This is a special closeout price, because of the low price there is no warranty on it.

You need to stick with a industrial engine if you are going to keep the gear box. Harbor freight has some decent 13hp with electric start for a decent price.

brandon12345
07-10-2011, 12:30 AM
Ok Thanks! :) Does anybody know how i could make a set up without that gearbox? :P lol

badlandbuggy
07-11-2011, 03:41 PM
Brandon, glad you received the free ST2-NG plans I sent you this morning. The drawings & photos should certainly help. They show a layshaft arrangement where you reuse the driver & driven clutches from a sled engine, mount it the driven clutch to an upper layshaft, then connect to the lower layshaft either via chain & sprocket or via a snowmobile FNR gearbox. Any questions, just give me a call or drop me a line anytime. I built a few ST2-NG/LT's with this arrangement & they work good. Glad to help.

Cheers,

Bruce
badlandbuggy.com

brandon12345
07-27-2011, 11:08 AM
I appreciate the help Bruce.

Glock n Ballz
07-29-2011, 09:10 AM
Or..

If you have a little $$ you can drop in a complete 930 CV rear end (double A Arm) the Rick S. makes for people. PM him for cost and details.

http://www.minibuggy.net/forum/projects-progress/6503-rick-s-custom-cv-rear-build.html

Read this thread. Good stuff- I use Rick regularly. (That sounds bad) You know what I mean. He has a good reputation here on MBN for square dealing and very reasonable prices. I love my Badland Buggy ST2 like nobody's business but I chose to take in upon myself to have the front end redesigned. Rick S. did it for me.

If you did this option it would require you cutting out your entire rear end at the appropriate places to grapht (sp?) this new rear end into place.

First I don't now your situation:Can you afford this upgrade? Do you really need this upgrade?
These are question only you can answer, but I know with this rear end you will not be twisting/snapping axles.

20 miles into the woods is not the place to snap an axle-especially if youre alone. Could meana long walk out ot the woods if your not in cell range. How much is peace of mind worth?

I bought my plans from Bruce on Jan 21, 2005 and I am still not finished. Mostly the reason was money or the lack thereof. Dont rush. Wait and do it right the first time. Cut some yards, make a little extra cash. Buy good parts for your ride or pay the price later.

My .02 cents-
others may chime in about Rick's bad-assed-ness.