PDA

View Full Version : Prototyping "modular" suspensions

badlandbuggy
04-13-2011, 06:01 PM
For those not following us on Twitter (https://twitter.com/badlandbuggy), I figured I'd give everyone an update on what we're working on lately.

We're in the middle of prototyping a bolt-on modular rear drive/suspension system & a bolt-on modular front suspension/steering system. Laser cutting is ordered, purchased parts are ordered, design is complete, ready to start turning wrenches & catching our hair on fire with welding spatter.

Badland Buggy Rear Drive/Suspension Module will include: Reverse Gearbox with differential (chain drive), high performance 930 CV joints (28 degrees max.), 4130 chromoly splined axles, Wilwood calipers & Wilwood rotors at each rear wheel, upgraded suspension pivot bushings, all aluminum wheel hubs, new a-arms, precision laser cut & bolt-on suspension housing. 16" suspension travel. 200+ hp capable. This unit will fit ANY of our buggy models, except Velociraptor, (plus future models, ST5? :)). Module unit will available eventually, no plans will be available, just a kit & replacement parts.

Badland Buggy Front Suspension/Steering Module will include: Bolt-On suspension housing, updated & repositioned rack & pinion mount, dual front disc brakes, a-arms, yada, yada, yada. Designed for the ST4, but can likely be adapted to any mini buggy or sandrail. Again, just a purchased module unit & parts will be offered, no blueprints.

This means we'll have an engineered & proven solution for reverse, differential, four disc brakes, tunable air shocks all around, long travel suspension/drive systems that are bolt-on modules & specifically designed for our family of buggy models & for mini buggies in general.

We're looking at dropping in a GXSR 1000 engine into a modified ST4 chassis to do some testing when the module units are built.

Bruce
badlandbuggy.com

ErwinBnl
04-13-2011, 06:30 PM
I follow you on Twitter![smilie=boogie.gif]

I've read about the rear drive suspension and searched on your site for more info but couldn't find it[smilie=unsure.gif]

But I can't wait to see some pictures of it!:cool: It really sounds cool and very impressive, but I'm afraid it will be way out of my budget[smilie=blush.gif]

Keep us informed and updated.. I'm very curious about the parts and kits!:D

Erwin

SCEADU
04-13-2011, 11:28 PM
Bruce,

Will you be makeing the A-Arms out of Square stock or Tubing. I feel the plans are good for the
ST-4 but I would like to see Tubed a-Arms. I would like to see the price for the gearbox rearend as well. Any ideas yet?

daaboots
04-14-2011, 08:46 PM
Any pics? I like pictures :D

badlandbuggy
04-18-2011, 02:37 PM
You heard it hear first.... The time has finally come for Badland Buggy to design, build, prototype & test an all new off-road vehicle for the mini-buggy home builder market. This will be our most advanced, most extensively engineered & most expensive prototype build ever. It includes everything our customers have always asked us to include (reverse, differential, CV's, longer wheel travel, four wheel disc brakes, lighter weight, etc...).

Our newest design will be a single seat buggy on steroids. It's loosely based on the styling of ST2-LT & ST4 models with an all new chassis design & super aggressive look. It will have our all new modular front suspension & rear drive/suspension system. Laser cutting is ordered for the prototype, machining is underway, purchased parts are ordered, steel being delivered next week. Photos will be published on our Facebook page as they become available.

This will take several months until it's released to the public. Just giving you guys a heads up on what's new at our end.

Wishlists?

Buggy model name suggestions?

Bruce
badlandbuggy.com

ErwinBnl
04-18-2011, 05:53 PM
You heard it hear first.... The time has finally come for Badland Buggy to design, build, prototype & test an all new off-road vehicle for the mini-buggy home builder market. This will be our most advanced, most extensively engineered & most expensive prototype build ever. It includes everything our customers have always asked us to include (reverse, differential, CV's, longer wheel travel, four wheel disc brakes, lighter weight, etc...).

Our newest design will be a single seat buggy on steroids. It's loosely based on the styling of ST2-LT & ST4 models with an all new chassis design & super aggressive look. It will have our all new modular front suspension & rear drive/suspension system. Laser cutting is ordered for the prototype, machining is underway, purchased parts are ordered, steel being delivered next week. Photos will be published on our Facebook page as they become available.

This will take several months until it's released to the public. Just giving you guys a heads up on what's new at our end.

Wishlists?

Buggy model name suggestions?

Bruce
badlandbuggy.com

Ohh I can't wait to see pictures![smilie=bow.gif]
If I know a name, I'll tell you!

You should do something like Suzuki did...

They build a Suzuki GSX1300R with the nickname 'Hayabusa', an other name for a Japanese bird that eats Blackbirds (name of Honda's motorcycle) :cool:

So you should name the new buggy something like a shark or something.. something that eats a Barracuda;) Íf you want to compete with the Edge Barracuda with your new buggy.

Just a suggestion:rolleyes:

54chevy
04-18-2011, 08:15 PM
I have a request/suggestion that you continue to post updates on here. I plan to build an ST4 in the next year or so and I read all posts related to Badland builds. I am so glad that you have a presence on here now. I don't Tweet or Facebook, so please keep up the good work of posting on this forum.

badlandbuggy
04-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Bruce,

Will you be makeing the A-Arms out of Square stock or Tubing. I feel the plans are good for the
ST-4 but I would like to see Tubed a-Arms. I would like to see the price for the gearbox rearend as well. Any ideas yet?

A-arms for the new modular rear drive units will be prototyped using the same existing ST4 a-arm material which is Rectangular Tube 3/4" x 1-1/2" x 0.083" wall. It's unbelievably strong & lightweight. Changing the pivot bushings to an off-the-shelf polyurethane bushing with a steel liner. www.energysuspension.com (http://www.energysuspension.com) Making new DOM pivot bushings this week.

Going with the Jeffco reverse gearbox with diff. Shawn at Jeffco is great to talk with. The unit isn't cheap ($4k), but, from what I hear, it's one of the best units money can buy.

Bruce
badlandbuggy.com

badlandbuggy
04-21-2011, 04:28 PM
Badland Buggy | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/Badlandbuggy)

Here's our Facebook page for Badland Buggy. Check it out & "Like Us"!

Bruce
badlandbuggy.com

badlandbuggy
04-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Update on Modular Rear Suspension progress: Driveline parts have been trickling in over the past few weeks & we're in the process of getting all the parts & final design details together for fabrication & machining for the prototype. Dual rear disc brakes are Wilwood calipers & Wilwood rotors. Using 930 CV's, chromoly splined axles, splined stub axles, wheel bearing units with internal splines, replacable bearings, etc... Current bolt pattern for the wheel hubs is 5 on 4.75", may adapt to different sizes. Bushings received, new pivot DOM tubes still at machine shop. Ordering reverse gearbox & final laser cut plates next. Rear a-arms will be loosely based on ST4 design. Rear wheels will now angle in slightly when suspension compresses for increased performance & handling.

Update on Modular Front Suspension progress: Laser cut plates on order, some purchased parts (steering wheel, rack & pinion, steering u-joints, spline stubs, steering disconnect) received. Fabrication & machining underway soon.

Will post photos to our Facebook page when there are actual assemblies to show. Just a bunch of parts right now. Badland Buggy | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/badlandbuggy)

Bruce
badlandbuggy.com

KrunchWorkz
04-29-2011, 10:52 AM
If your current bolt pattern is 5 on 4.75, then you may want to put in adapter plates for 5 on 205 wide 5 VW. This way customers can get some nice RaceTrim bead lock wheels in 15". Gives some additional options for wheels since most offroad race cars run this bolt pattern.

badlandbuggy
04-29-2011, 03:45 PM
The wheel hubs we have also come with a machined aluminum adapter that already has 5 on 205mm pattern for veedub wheels. We may also machine adapter(s) to other 5 bolt wheel patterns, just to have a few different wheel bolt pattern options available. We've got wheels on hand with 5 on 5 pattern, may just get an adapter made for the prototype testing. Thanks for contributing to the discussion!

Bruce
badlandbuggy.com

KrunchWorkz
04-29-2011, 07:52 PM
So since you are most likely using a complete micro-stub brake kit, are you using the rotors and hats outboard also? I ask because you said that you are using a jeffco FNR w/diff. Since that is the case you can put a turn brake in like the bigger rails do. These little things would turn on a dime that way. I know my full size manx car will do a 180 within a single lane road, and its a bit bigger than these cars.

samsonjohn
05-01-2011, 04:21 PM
anything new? anything cool going on?

John

badlandbuggy
05-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Yes, we're using a micro stub brake kit, thus, cutter brakes are certainly easy to add & would be a great feature. We might just have to include that in our prototype. The owner of the fab shop we're partnered with is currently away on a holiday. Right now, we're waiting on laser cutting to arrive for the new prototype modular bolt-on front suspension. Rear drive parts have arrived & I'm in the process of doing the final engineering (3D CAD, Calc's, Stress Analysis, Fab drawings) of the prototype version of the modular bolt-on rear drive/suspension system.

In between all this, we have been busy preparing our prototype Rubicamp Off Road Camper Trailer for it's 2nd season. We logged just over 1000 km's on our Rubicamp last season & learned alot about what we like & more importantly, what we don't like. We've made a bunch of changes/upgrades to test this season.

We're going through the process of becoming a legal Trailer Manufacturer so there are lot's safety standards & regulations to meet (paperwork too!) in order for us to be able to sell trailers worldwide with VIN numbers. We are planning to attend SEMA this year in November to check it out then hopefully debut some of our new buggies & trailers at SEMA in 2012. That's the plan for now anyway! :)

Bruce
badlandbuggy.com

daaboots
05-05-2011, 09:18 AM
This off road camper trailer sounds interesting. Do you have any more information about it?

badlandbuggy
05-05-2011, 12:06 PM
anything new? anything cool going on?

John

New photo added to our Facebook wall (Badland Buggy | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/badlandbuggy)) showing our first photo of the wheel hubs/brake kit/CV's parts we're using for the new Modular Rear Suspension/Driveline system.

Bruce
badlandbuggy.com

badlandbuggy
05-05-2011, 12:29 PM
This off road camper trailer sounds interesting. Do you have any more information about it?

Rubicamp Off Road Trailers is a new company we've started last year (RUBICAMP - OFF ROAD TRAILER (http://www.rubicamp.com)). We built and tested prototype #1 last year & did the final finishing touches on it this year. We're currently going through the application process to become a trailer manufacturer to issue VIN's for production trailers.

We've recently added a few of new photos of Rubicamp #1 to our facebook wall (Rubicamp | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rubicamp/104326869651506)). "Like" us!

Rubicamp Off Road Trailers are designed for remote camping/hunting where most typical camper trailers can't go. Rubicamp prototype #1 features a self-erecting Roof Top Tent, 38 cu ft sealed storage tub, front aluminum storage box, luggage/firewood rack, 1250 watt gas generator, water storage, 12 volt electrical system, off road tow eye hitch for extreme angles, bedliner finish with lifetime warranty, 8 tie downs, tubular steel chassis, 14 Ga steel tub & lid, gas springs for lifting lid, 2 gas cans, 2" receiver hitches front & rear, 32" off road tires, torsion arm axle suspension, anti theft locking system, removable plugs in the main storage tub for power washing inside, "C" jack stabilizers, fender flares, plus more stuff that I'm probably forgeting about.

We're able to offer Rubicamp "kits" which you would do the assembly & finishing, but are waiting on the paperwork to be finalized before we can offer fully built units with VIN's. If anyone's interested, drop us a line at info@rubicamp.com

Bruce