PDA

View Full Version : ST2 Shocks

Dforez
04-02-2011, 09:10 AM
Hey guys I did a search but I could find exactly what I was looking for, basically I'm nearing the stages on my ST2 that I'll need to start looking for shocks. From what I've been seeing a lot of people with the money seem to go with the FOX 2.0 air shocks right? This does seem like the best course of action from my perspective as well but they don't exactly come cheap. I was wondering if there were shocks that I could salvage from something that would do an effective job, such as like the rear absorber from a motocross bike. I know its possible to retro-fit just about anything but I'm worried about the spring rate being too stiff. Any suggestions?

SCEADU
04-02-2011, 09:30 AM
I saw somewhere that someone used the forks from a dirt bike. To me that sounds like a pretty neat idea. They could be rebuilt and sprung to take the load if needed.

Dforez
04-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Yea that was an idea that came to mind however the average bike weighs about 220 pounds plus say a 200 pound rider. if the load is split 50/50 then the forks are carying about 210 pounds divided by two is only about 105 pounds per fork leg. They're too long to run in the front but they would be good for the back, however thats where all the weight is and Im worried that by the time I get new springs and revalve them I'll have spent more money that I would have just going with the fox shocks.

sosasser
04-03-2011, 06:49 AM
That would be my buggy with the motorcycle forks. They are from a KX250. It's easy to change to stiffer springs, but hard to find good stiff ones. The bracket I had to make to mount the top of the shock to the frame was a pain in the ass. Thankfully, I have a friend who has a machine shop that helped me make some out of aluminum. They work good but I think fox shocks would work better. I would advise saving up your duckets and going with the Fox shocks.

Dforez
04-03-2011, 06:52 AM
I actually do have a pair of yz250 shocks lying around I would be kind of interested in seeing the way you set it up if you have pictures. As well does any one know the size of the fox shocks typically used on the st2, I know they're sold based on their total travel

sosasser
04-03-2011, 02:56 PM

Hopefully this makes sense.