PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Dakar Champion driver- Protolite Race buggies

ProtoDie
02-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Dakar is one of the biggest off road races in the world.

January 2011 Nasser Al Attiyah was the champion driving for Team Red Bull and Volkswagon in Dakar Argentina.
... He is also an Olympic athlete for shooting skeet and a Rally racing champion

If you play video games ,,,,,,,he drives the VW Race Touareg 2 in "Dirt 2 or Dirt 3 " which is coming out soon.

Might not mean a thing to you,,,,,but he is one of the top off road and rally racers in the world.

Yesterday he test drove our race buggies over in Qatar and loved them and their performance and looks.
He says he will be ordering one and the number will be #1
I may see if we can do a Red Bull Theme for the 2011 Dakar Champ

http://ptlracing.com/images/phocagallery/thumbs/phoca_thumb_l_dakar%202011%20champ%20nasser.jpg

http://ptlracing.com/images/phocagallery/thumbs/phoca_thumb_l_dakar%20champ1.jpg

http://ptlracing.com/images/phocagallery/thumbs/phoca_thumb_l_dakar%20champ2.jpg

http://ptlracing.com/images/phocagallery/thumbs/phoca_thumb_l_dakar%20champ3.jpg

http://ptlracing.com/images/phocagallery/thumbs/phoca_thumb_l_dakar%20champ4.jpg

http://ptlracing.com/images/phocagallery/thumbs/phoca_thumb_l_dakar%20champ6.jpg

http://ptlracing.com/images/phocagallery/thumbs/phoca_thumb_l_dakar%20champ5.jpg

http://ptlracing.com/images/phocagallery/thumbs/phoca_thumb_l_dakar%20champ7.jpg

Gene
02-19-2011, 07:38 PM
That is great news and a nice complement to your design and fabrication skills.

Once his rallye pals learn about the cars moer orders will come. I'm sure!:)

Bullnerd
02-19-2011, 08:00 PM
Congratulations!Protodie International!

TutTech
02-20-2011, 05:30 AM
ARE YOU SERIOUS!!! :eek::eek::eek:

And yes I am shouting.. amazing I am totally excited for you.
I have watched Dakar for years.. as a racer the Dakar is the most challanging races in the world. Its like doing an entire season of our racing like the Baja 500, Baja 250, Baja 1000 and keep doing them for 7 days over all different terrains. The ultimate test of man and machine.

I am very happy for Nasser as he could/should have won last year.. but did for his first time this year.
I can't believe how good he is and I thought he had won it before but this was his first. He is an amazing driver and great at anything he drives or does. Just one of those kind of guys.
So if he said he likes it and wants one.. That is huge. What a huge pat on your back and seriously you can't get much better acknowledgement for how great your buggies are then that. Wow to be able to say ya Nasser drove my mini buggy and loved it. Heck said he wants one! :eek:
Wow.. simpley awesome.

Just goes to show how well your cars are built and how well they handle and perform.
Lets compare he just raced in a half million dollar VW company backed race car and now gets into your buggy and says he loves it. Seriously great job!

You know there is a Rally class for mini buggies right?? Hmmm.. maybe one day we will see one of your buggies in the rally... ;)

Keep us posted on this please.
Love to see the build and follow along on any more details or info you receive about it.
Congrats!!
[smilie=jumping.gif]

millbilly
02-21-2011, 03:38 AM
Good news!!! Damn nice car.....................

ProtoDie
02-21-2011, 06:53 AM
Thanks Guys,

Yes, the only way I could be happier about this is if I was there to witness.
No expectations of Dakar or Baja,,,,,just pleased an off road champion is enjoying one of our buggies

We will see what kind of winding road in life this brings us down.

standfast
02-21-2011, 09:01 AM
Nasser is THE MAN! Not a showman, a real driver. That is cool.

K-fab
02-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Very sweet! Congrats on that one. [smilie=ecstatic.gi:

The single seater is absolutely stunning too.

LEE1969GB
02-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Protodie, not knocking you, your buggy or Nasser Al Attiyah But I am sick to the back teeth of celebrities/superstars cashing in on promoting products that many people then feel the need to have because said celebrity/superstar has one which no doubt he/she has not paid for in fact is probably getting paid to be seen with it.

I for one see it as if I buy one or parts for it then some of that cost will have to go towards the cost of the buggy given away and his payment.

ProtoDie
02-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Lee,
While I do agree with you, this is not the case here and is not a paid promotional gig.
I could never afford to hire him.

Nasser was at the same International auto show in Qatar a few weeks back with his Redbull off road race VW Touareg.

We also had a booth at the same show with our offroad buggies.

Nasser along with many other potential customers was invited to come test drive our buggies.

He was very interested at the show and wanted to drive our buggies.

He had a blast & loved how light weight they were, how they handled and the power to weight performance.

He plans on coming back for more fun,,,,and then ordering one for himself.

He will not be getting any promotional discounts or anything for driving our vehicles,,,,,,,just a big grin :)

LEE1969GB
02-23-2011, 12:30 AM
Lee,
While I do agree with you, this is not the case here and is not a paid promotional gig.
I could never afford to hire him.

Nasser was at the same International auto show in Qatar a few weeks back with his Redbull off road race VW Touareg.

We also had a booth at the same show with our offroad buggies.

Nasser along with many other potential customers was invited to come test drive our buggies.

He was very interested at the show and wanted to drive our buggies.

He had a blast & loved how light weight they were, how they handled and the power to weight performance.

He plans on coming back for more fun,,,,and then ordering one for himself.

He will not be getting any promotional discounts or anything for driving our vehicles,,,,,,,just a big grin :)

Well if that does turn out to be the case you will have done very well, Company's promoting anything from lipsticks to limmos spend a fortune on getting celebrities/superstars seen with there products although none will admit to it because it will no doubt put off potential paying customers.

What would impress me is if he turned round and said he wanted it discounted or even free and you told him to sling his hook.

standfast
02-23-2011, 07:42 AM
Seriously? Isn't it pretty obvious that there isn't any mini buggy manufacturer making enough money to pull off promotional stunts like that? Or take hits on their products like that? Come on...

jersdunz
02-23-2011, 07:47 AM
I am Thinkin that when you get to be rich and famous with your buggies rampaging tracks all over the world. that you should build all the minibuggy guys a single seater yup I think so....lol

Wouldn't having 30 of these on a motocross track just be a blast...Jody would have to man the pitts though sorry buddy... :cool:

jersdunz
02-23-2011, 07:49 AM
Seriously? Isn't it pretty obvious that there isn't any mini buggy manufacturer making enough money to pull off promotional stunts like that? Or take hits on their products like that? Come on...

I'll second that!! Cmon pull your head out...[smilie=sign_stfu.g:

ProtoDie
02-23-2011, 11:45 AM
Redbull ,,Volkswagon, Suzuki, Yamaha ,,,,,, Protolite,,,,,,,,,Yup, not quite as big,,,,,,,a few thousand less employees and a much smaller budget.

Jers,,,,,,,c'mon,,,,let me out of the pits I want to race too

LEE1969GB
02-23-2011, 01:07 PM
Maybe its my imagination on overload but its the way I think when I see this.

jersdunz
02-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Redbull ,,Volkswagon, Suzuki, Yamaha ,,,,,, Protolite,,,,,,,,,Yup, not quite as big,,,,,,,a few thousand less employees and a much smaller budget.

Jers,,,,,,,c'mon,,,,let me out of the pits I want to race too

Ok fine but you have to run the kids buggy!
We can't be having you with the "familiarity" advantage on us.. [smilie=poked.gif]

Travitanium
02-27-2011, 12:31 AM
Congrats on your success! I used to race 12 Hours of ATV America. It was the most fun ever. really wish there were more endurance races.

TutTech
02-27-2011, 04:39 AM
Travitanium, your a bit far but Glen Helen runs an enduro every year and I havent gone or checked but there is another that maybe like district 37 or someone puts on.... I will try to find the details if you want.. But ya check out Glen Helen I know they do an endurance race like that still.
Glen Helen Raceway - Home of the USGP (http://www.glenhelen.com/)

:)

Travitanium
02-28-2011, 07:25 PM
Awesome, thanks Tut but I sold my Quad so I could buy a motorcycle. I can't wait till my buggy is finished so I can get off the road!

sodman
03-01-2011, 06:15 AM
I'll give credit where credit is due if you can design and build a buggy or "anthing else for that matter" and get positive feed back on your design, craftmanship, attention to detail or what ever sets you apart all the power to ya . Jody you do have a rock solid design on your hands and with the way the economy is getting some feed back from people that are pro's congrates on a job well done .
Not tring to butter anyone up here but could I have my name on one of those 30 buggies ?
Any Small Back yard buisness that moves forward that what drives the enconomy Congates "pat your self on the back"
Good luck

ProtoDie
03-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Thanks Sodman
I appreciate the kind words.

30 buggies,,,that's a lot..........of fun.

Someday,,if life and finances permit we hope to land a large sponser who would want their name on a racing series.

Then build 10 race buggies
Next find 10 drivers to each buy into one of those buggies at 1/2 price
while the sponser picks up the other half.

Drivers could find other sponsers to help fund their sport too

Drivers are under contract to make 75% of scheduled races for 2 years because of the sponser discount.

The more your car gets seen at the track,,,the better the sponsership chances & funding.

IMO: hopefully someday, this would.....

Make our buggies more affordable
build up this type of racing & sports
guarantee more drivers show up to each race

and most importantly,,,,get me back on the track racing:D

May be a far reach but I have seen crazier things happen

AtvNut
03-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Lots of racing available this summer :)

ProtoDie
03-02-2011, 05:41 AM
I hope to make a couple down South.

There has always been racing available and tracks to race at.

For several years we were pretty much the only ones showing up

3 buggies and 6 kids cars.

Bob's closed down last year,,,so kids now race on our .2 mile dirt track every Saturday,,,,,, 7 cars now.

I hope there is more showing up to the races,,,but I would like to see more consistantly showing up before we make the trip to out of state tracks

AtvNut
03-02-2011, 09:08 AM
:) :)

Snoopy
03-22-2011, 10:57 PM
You have to be beaming, and you should be. Think of how many of us build, would love to sell, and just keep tinkering. You've not only already made it to the next level ( you did that a while back ) but now your starting to live the dream. I hope this goes the way we all hope it does. You surely deserve it. Just wish you the best of luck in keeping up if things go where it looks like they might.

I've been following your stuff for a long time, attention to detail and your approach to taking care of your customers is what got you here. Couldn't have happened to a better guy. Congrats and we'll see you at the races.

THE PROTOLITE 1000 !!!!!! YEAH BABY !!!! sorry, got carried away, but great job on all counts. just beyond words

bdkw1
03-23-2011, 12:09 AM

I'm pretty sure he can afford it............. Knowing how those guys operate he might buy a fleet of them so he has someone to ride with.............

Go get some more of our oil money back.............

ALWX65
03-23-2011, 05:54 AM
Proto, the picture of the single seat number 33 airing it off the dunes, which is just an awsome shot, whats the wheel and tire combo on that. Brand and sizes if you dont mind ...

ALW

ProtoDie
03-23-2011, 09:53 AM
Thanks for all the kind words & support guys,,,,I really appreciate it.

http://ptlracing.com/images/phocagallery/thumbs/phoca_thumb_l_dakar%20champ4.jpg

Those are ITP dunestars 26" dia on 12" ITP bead locks

They work good,,,but I do wish the rear paddles were a little wider.

That motor can handle a lot more paddle