PDA

View Full Version : radiator overflow tank

pat656
01-20-2011, 06:20 PM
The bike I bought had a cracked radiator overflow container so I was wondering if I could use this overflow tank or if I needed something what would hold pressure.
Speed Partz, Overflow/Breather Bottle (http://www.speedpartz.com/FOZ_overflow_bottle.htm)

Patrick

Gene
01-20-2011, 06:36 PM
That will work but you don't need the filter element. I used that exact can with filter as an oil recovery can for an RPM FNR.

The overflow cans I use have an inlet at the bottom. The outlet is also at the bottom and is a tube running internally to the top of the can. Also has a large screw on cap.

The can is not pressurized. As radiator coolant expands it lifts the radiator cap and coolant bleeds to the can. As the radiator cools down, can liquid is siphoned back to the radiator.

pat656
01-20-2011, 06:44 PM
That will work but you don't need the filter element. I used that exact can with filter as an oil recovery can for an RPM FNR.

The overflow cans I use have an inlet at the bottom. The outlet is also at the bottom and is a tube running internally to the top of the can. Also has a large screw on cap.

The can is not pressurized. As radiator coolant expands it lifts the radiator cap and coolant bleeds to the can. As the radiator cools down, can liquid is siphoned back to the radiator.

Awesome thanks a lot!

Also, do I have to use a thermostat or not? The radiator I bought does not have one installed on it. The one from my bike was connected via hose and it had the cap installed on it not on the radiator itself. Any suggestions on what to do?

pat656
01-20-2011, 06:45 PM
also, is the tank mounted above the radiator cap or below?

Gene
01-22-2011, 08:26 AM
I don't believe it needs to be mounted higher. I don't remeber seeing it that way in a car. Mine is lower than the radiator and coolant gets returned as the radiator fliud cools and contracts.

For the most part I think the engine needs a thermostrat so the engine runs at optimum temperature. The T-stat should be in the engine where coolant returns to the radiator.

What engine?

pat656
01-22-2011, 08:57 PM
I don't believe it needs to be mounted higher. I don't remeber seeing it that way in a car. Mine is lower than the radiator and coolant gets returned as the radiator fliud cools and contracts.

For the most part I think the engine needs a thermostrat so the engine runs at optimum temperature. The T-stat should be in the engine where coolant returns to the radiator.

What engine?

Im running a ZX9R engine, and the thermostat was located between the radiator and engine, in-line with the coolant hose, and it also had the cap to fill the radiator. The civic radiator I just bought has a fill cap but no place for a thermostat. I was still going to run a temp sensor, but just unrestricted flow of coolant (no thermostat)

Gene
01-23-2011, 09:28 AM
I suggest fabricating a hose an dhousing setup similar to stock. Shouldn't be too hard using what you already have.

Thermostats exist for a reason . . .

jersdunz
02-04-2011, 08:30 AM
Im running a ZX9R engine, and the thermostat was located between the radiator and engine, in-line with the coolant hose, and it also had the cap to fill the radiator. The civic radiator I just bought has a fill cap but no place for a thermostat. I was still going to run a temp sensor, but just unrestricted flow of coolant (no thermostat)
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r102/jersdunz/t_ttiwwop.gif

I couldn't Resist...lol[smilie=poked.gif]

pat656
02-04-2011, 07:52 PM
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r102/jersdunz/t_ttiwwop.gif

I couldn't Resist...lol[smilie=poked.gif]

I dont have pictures the bike it fully disassembled

sosasser
02-09-2011, 03:49 PM
I suggest fabricating a hose an dhousing setup similar to stock. Shouldn't be too hard using what you already have.

Thermostats exist for a reason . . .

I just put a Civic radiator in mine. I put a plate over and blocked off the cap from the bike but am using the thermostat housing in the hose going to the inlet side of the radiator. I only use the radiator cap that is on the civic radiator. Works good.