PDA

View Full Version : Taz Car experience/advice

VegasRZR/Drakart
01-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Hello, long time off roader here but new to SxS's and mini-buggies.

Stable includes a 2011 RZR S LE, Bad to the bone Busa powered Drakart Intimidator along with a 700 Raptor and KX-250F.

So far, the do it all RZR is a very good machine but a little short on creating adrenaline........so it's going to the wife to replace her Raptor.

My 24 YO kid and I fight over the Drakart so we decided to liquidate a few things and try and find another one. I've only found a few single seaters and I'm thinking that the people who own them must have stuffed gold bullion somewhere$$$$$

I found what looks like to be an incredibly well built Taz car with Arctic Cat/CVT power. A 1000cc 2 stroke has to be "adequate" power wise, but what's Taz's/rep/
build like??? Anyone with Arctic Cat opinions???

On a side note, Alain (the mastermind of Drakart) is not only in business but extremely accessible and incredibly down to earth. I has some updates done to the Drakart last week and hung out with Alain and his fabricator for the afternoon.............I REALLY want another Drakart for this reason, but a new car is out of the question money wise.

Please excuse me if I create this thread in a few places......not sure where the traffic is yet.

Thanks for any input/opinions

Jack

K-fab
01-15-2011, 06:22 PM
Howdy and welcome to the site.

What do you want to know about the Taz?

The old AC motor's a ripping power plant. LOUDER than Hell, though. But it can be quieted down if need be. Parts for them are getting harder to get.

More than likely it's an older generation Taz if it has the AC in it. I don't think Neal and crew built any of the new chassis w/the AC.

Overall the car's darn near bullet proof. There's not a lot to go wrong. It was all built within limits of the components, not right at the limit of the components.

In the sand they're a blast. It will go anywhere and do it with ease and style. It's a fun machine.

For many tales, modifications, changes, pretty much the history of a couple Tazcars, check my web page out - Yellow Dog Racing (http://www.yellowdogracing.com/).

I had Chassis #5 and it was a test dummy for a lot of the modifications and changes that happened to the Tazcar line.

VegasRZR/Drakart
01-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Howdy and welcome to the site.

What do you want to know about the Taz?

The old AC motor's a ripping power plant. LOUDER than Hell, though. But it can be quieted down if need be. Parts for them are getting harder to get.

More than likely it's an older generation Taz if it has the AC in it. I don't think Neal and crew built any of the new chassis w/the AC.

Overall the car's darn near bullet proof. There's not a lot to go wrong. It was all built within limits of the components, not right at the limit of the components.

In the sand they're a blast. It will go anywhere and do it with ease and style. It's a fun machine.

For many tales, modifications, changes, pretty much the history of a couple Tazcars, check my web page out - Yellow Dog Racing (http://www.yellowdogracing.com/).

I had Chassis #5 and it was a test dummy for a lot of the modifications and changes that happened to the Tazcar line.

Thanks a LOT for the reply......it appears it is an older car, but like you said, has a lot of "bigger car parts".

GREAT WEB PAGE!!!

Not sure if the link will work since the listing is over, but this is the car in question:

TAZ CAR / Long Travel The best of the Best VERY FAST - eBay (item 250754176666 end time Jan-15-11 08:41:14 PST) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250754176666&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT#ht_4220wt_1167)

Road trip tomorrow to pick it up.

Again, thank you for responding.......and I THINK I've read your "feelings" concerning Alain when I was researching the Drakart.......I think that was at a different time in his life. Without the huge nut and pressure, I think he's a more relaxed individual.

K-fab
01-16-2011, 05:14 AM
Damn! That's Ron Pratt's old car. I know it well.

Probably one of the most built to the hilt (at the time) Tazcars. It was the Caddy of the group.

You'll love that machine.

----

Alain and I didn't see eye to eye (he's 6'+, I'm 5'6" :cool:) for a while.
We buried that hatchet years ago, though. (or so I hope).

VegasRZR/Drakart
01-16-2011, 10:59 AM
Damn! That's Ron Pratt's old car. I know it well.

Probably one of the most built to the hilt (at the time) Tazcars. It was the Caddy of the group.

You'll love that machine.

----

Alain and I didn't see eye to eye (he's 6'+, I'm 5'6" :cool:) for a while.
We buried that hatchet years ago, though. (or so I hope).

GREAT!!! More info then I could have hoped for.

Glad you and Alain are OK.......you both seem like guy that would be fun to hang with!!!

Next conundrum (and one only $$$ can solve) Being a master at Tetris,:p I got the RZR and the Drakart into a 25' toyhauler.........

Since Dumont is less than 2 hours away, I guess the old POS T-100 could pull the new car, or.......

Tandem trailer setup......legal in Nevada but not in Commiefornia or........

Freightliner and double stacker.........IN MY DREAMS!!!!!

Thanks again for your time!!!!

diirk
01-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Put a rack in your truck bed to hold one of the cars.

DHjunkie
01-28-2011, 06:20 PM
you can pull a tandem trailer in CA, but you have to have a commercial lisence for doubles and under a certain total feet. best to do it as a 5'er and a towable though. Personally it scares the hell out of me seeing them go down the road. Most of the time they take up two lanes. I just hate seeing the aftermath of when things go wrong.

VegasRZR/Drakart
01-29-2011, 12:09 AM
you can pull a tandem trailer in CA, but you have to have a commercial lisence for doubles and under a certain total feet. best to do it as a 5'er and a towable though. Personally it scares the hell out of me seeing them go down the road. Most of the time they take up two lanes. I just hate seeing the aftermath of when things go wrong.

Thanks for the info.

Kid went out and bought another Tundra. We have a flatbed.

I guess it's 2 tow vehicles at a time for now......

VegasRZR/Drakart
01-29-2011, 12:13 AM
Put a rack in your truck bed to hold one of the cars.

Good idea, but I'd rather not play musical trailer to load/unload the car in the bed.

Rat4020
01-29-2011, 08:20 AM
Vegas.. Did you end up getting the Taz

VegasRZR/Drakart
01-29-2011, 08:51 PM
Vegas.. Did you end up getting the Taz

Rat, thanks for asking.

Sorry I didn't update the thread.

Yes, picked it up that Sunday after I 1st posted.

Car showed immaculate and started and seemed to run well. Paddle tires limited the test drive.

My son noticed a few puddles under the carbs. I tried to grind a little off the price to replace seals/gaskets.......seller pulls out 3 new bowl gaskets.....he obviously knew of the drips.

Got it home and the next morning the battery was dead. It's showing a storage light on it now after putting a float charger on it. I'll see if she starts and check ALT. output here shortly. (motor has optional alternator installed)

Middle cylinder is fat as hell and the fuel pump seems to be dripping.

One cylinder fires intermittent at idle but clears up when revving.

Called the manufacturer (which I really should have done before I bought it, I could have waited a week) wasn't as exited after hearing some recent history concerning the guy who I bought it from.

Even though I'm sure I could tune her and fix the leaks, I'm going to make a road trip out of it and have the original shop go through it and make sure everything is up to snuff. I'm also in the market for some Polaris take off tires/wheels for desert/storage use.

The manufacturer knew the car and like K-fab said, it seems to be a very well built car. I asked about re-powering it with Busa or 1000cc motorcycle power and Luke at the shop said once we get that 1000 CC 2 stroke singing I'll never look back......and he knows we have the Busa powered Drakart.

Need a hitch on the kid's new truck, before mentioned tune, Packers victory in the SB and then it's at least a 3 dayer at Dumont!!!!!

K-fab
01-30-2011, 07:07 AM
The alt light will go out once you start moving. It's driven off of the input shaft of the transmission. No worries there.

Luke's correct. Get that engine running and it's a screamer.

VegasRZR/Drakart
01-30-2011, 02:45 PM
The alt light will go out once you start moving. It's driven off of the input shaft of the transmission. No worries there.

Luke's correct. Get that engine running and it's a screamer.

I'm not typing very clear......100% my bad.

The "light" i'm referring to is on the actual charger.

My understanding is if the battery is OK, it will go to "storage" after it's fully charged. So I'm ASS/U/ME ing the battery is OK.

Need to throw a VOM on her.

Rat4020
01-31-2011, 05:48 AM
Vegas I have the same alt setup as you and I reworked my alt to a one wire setup so you only have the pos wire on the alt . the alt will automaticly start charging as soon as you start driving..And thats the end of the red light in the dash.Cost about 70 bucks in parts then wire yourself a main battery disconect that will end the dead battery after storage.These things worked very well on my Taz

VegasRZR/Drakart
01-31-2011, 04:37 PM
Vegas I have the same alt setup as you and I reworked my alt to a one wire setup so you only have the pos wire on the alt . the alt will automaticly start charging as soon as you start driving..And thats the end of the red light in the dash.Cost about 70 bucks in parts then wire yourself a main battery disconect that will end the dead battery after storage.These things worked very well on my Taz

Rat, thanks.

I'll certainly look in to it.......I will DEFINITELY be installing a battery disconnect.

K-fab
02-08-2011, 10:50 PM
Ah, gotcha. You were talking about the battery charger and whether it had gone from charge to float. (right??? :))

VegasRZR/Drakart
02-13-2011, 08:51 PM
Ah, gotcha. You were talking about the battery charger and whether it had gone from charge to float. (right??? :))

Yup!!! It probably needs a new battery though; it'll totally discharge overnight. Need to put that DC switch on for sure.

.........had the $$$ to let Luke dial her in but bought the new car warranty on the kid's used Tundra instead.

It'll either be this week or the week after the holiday....we're planning a weekend at Dumont AFTER the holiday.

Can't wait to have all three toys out there at one time!!!

I've been also searching feverishly for a set of take off RZR rims/tires so I can putt the TAZ around the desert here.

In the meantime, I start her a couple times a week and listen to that 2 stroke symphony!!

Rat4020
02-14-2011, 05:39 AM
Vegas that Disconect switch is a $15.00 item I got mine at a Mills Fleet store here in MN. Ive seen the same one on flee bay and other sights for about the same $

VegasRZR/Drakart
02-15-2011, 04:20 AM
Thanks for the heads up, Rat.

cllake
05-24-2018, 01:51 AM
What bolt pattern are Tazcars with the gear one hubs? I cant find anything online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K-fab
05-24-2018, 03:41 AM
Call ATV Racing 623-516-8640
I want to say 4 on 160 but can’t recall.

Rat4020
05-24-2018, 10:28 AM
I was told same as the RZR

Jetnut
05-24-2018, 03:29 PM
Mine has 4 X 156 which is the same as the RZR

K-fab
05-24-2018, 04:33 PM
Verified and agreed - 4x156

cllake
05-24-2018, 05:54 PM
Rad! That opens up the wheel/tire options. Ive read that people have stepped up to bigger tires. What are you opinions? Im thinking about 28s front and rear

K-fab
05-25-2018, 01:26 AM
I ran 30 and 31” tires on mine with 15” wheels - but then again mine was a desert car.
http://yellowdogracing.com/dez.htm

And then 33” tires
http://yellowdogracing.com/DezII.htm

I would jump up to eat least a 30” for the both the dirt and dunes. Never liked that slap in the ass in transition at the base of the dunes with the 26” paddles.

Try not to mess with the offset from the way it is now or you’ll get a lot of feedback thru the steering wheel.

cllake
05-25-2018, 03:08 AM
I ran 30 and 31 tires on mine with 15 wheels - but then again mine was a desert car.
http://yellowdogracing.com/dez.htm

And then 33 tires
http://yellowdogracing.com/DezII.htm

I would jump up to eat least a 30 for the both the dirt and dunes. Never liked that slap in the ass in transition at the base of the dunes with the 26 paddles.

Try not to mess with the offset from the way it is now or youll get a lot of feedback thru the steering wheel.

Right on! Great info on your site.

Is this a line lock?? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180525/b05f7eda339bb00b127d5755259fdea0.jpg

plkracer
05-25-2018, 04:49 AM
Could be a line lock or parking brake, unless the handle has multiple notches, then it is a proportioning valve. I had one on my previous buggy to take some braking power off the front wheels.

K-fab
05-25-2018, 02:42 PM
That is a front brake proportioning valve.

It should be set up so that when it’s pointed forward you have full brakes on all four corners and as you start pulling it back you have less front brakes. You should be able to lock up all four wheels at the same time on pavement in the forward position.

I used mine all the time to help set the chassis up for corners; forward approaching the corner, in the braking zone then slap it back as I’d enter the corner to get the rear end loose and happily so I could rotate the car as I entered the corner, initiating a drift and the ability to get back on the funpedal sooner.

cllake
05-25-2018, 07:00 PM
Nice! Happy I joined this forum, tons of helpful people.

Thanks guys!