PDA

View Full Version : Badland Buggy on MBN!

Glock n Ballz
11-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Hey,
I just saw my first ad for www.Badlandbuggy.com (http://www.Badlandbuggy.com) on MBN's home page! Way cool!!!!

Welcome Bruce.

(Mike Hudgeons)

amergin
11-21-2010, 05:33 PM
Yes, Badland is now a full site sponsor.

ErwinBnl
11-21-2010, 07:41 PM
Welcome Bruce!

Nice to see Badland Buggy on MBN, it is a win-win situation for all the builders and you.
Have fun and see you passing by!

Erwin van den Boogaard,
The Netherlands

Gene
11-21-2010, 07:52 PM
Congrats and thanks Badland for supporting MBN!

KrunchWorkz
11-21-2010, 10:38 PM
Maybe we should move the Badlands build threads into here?

ErwinBnl
11-22-2010, 09:42 AM
I don't think that's a good idea..

I think this is more a FAQ topic group, maybe it's smart to make a new topic with links to Badland Buggy builds, but I think those belong to the 'Projects in Progress' and 'Show off your toys in here!'.

Otherwise there would only be people on here who are interested in Badland buggies?

Glock n Ballz
11-22-2010, 01:12 PM
I don't think that's a good idea..

I think this is more a FAQ topic group, maybe it's smart to make a new topic with links to Badland Buggy builds, but I think those belong to the 'Projects in Progress' and 'Show off your toys in here!'.

Otherwise there would only be people on here who are interested in Badland buggies?

Man Erwin...your little Banana guy on your signature never gets tired of dancing!....Wish I had that kind of energy..

badlandbuggy
11-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Thanks Russ & everyone at minibuggy.net for getting things in place for our forum group & advertising set-up. Great job! And thanks to everyone for welcoming me & my company to this forum. I'll do my best to provide meaningful & informative contributions to this forum on a regular basis.

FYI, some of the new designs that badlandbuggy.com has been working on lately include:

1. FNR Gearbox - still in preliminary design stage. 7:1 or 8:1 reduction, all gear design. I'll post any news here. Any wishlists?

2. EV (electric vehicle) drive system designs to fit ST4 (and possibly all Badland Buggy designs). Still in design/development stage. Again, any wishlists?

3. ST5 design! Based on ST4 except 1 seat version using same front & rear suspension systems. New chassis design. Design is completed, drawings underway. Expect a 2011 release on our website. May combine ST4 & ST5 into one set of plans (similar to ST2-LT & ST3) allowing the home builder the choice of building either a 1 or 2 seater buggy from one set of plans.

4. Developing rubicamp.com (link on our website homepage). It's basically an off-road camper trailer but designed & built for heavy duty off-roading. 1st prototype built & extensively tested in 2010. Contemplating an all-aluminum 2nd prototype next. Plans to follow in 2011. Any Jeep freaks (like me) out there? Lol.

Gene
11-22-2010, 03:07 PM
The FNR project sounds interesting. Suggestion: Have diff or live axle option.

ttginc
11-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Thanks Russ & everyone at minibuggy.net for getting things in place for our forum group & advertising set-up. Great job! And thanks to everyone for welcoming me & my company to this forum. I'll do my best to provide meaningful & informative contributions to this forum on a regular basis.

FYI, some of the new designs that badlandbuggy.com has been working on lately include:

1. FNR Gearbox - still in preliminary design stage. 7:1 or 8:1 reduction, all gear design. I'll post any news here. Any wishlists?

2. EV (electric vehicle) drive system designs to fit ST4 (and possibly all Badland Buggy designs). Still in design/development stage. Again, any wishlists?

3. ST5 design! Based on ST4 except 1 seat version using same front & rear suspension systems. New chassis design. Design is completed, drawings underway. Expect a 2011 release on our website. May combine ST4 & ST5 into one set of plans (similar to ST2-LT & ST3) allowing the home builder the choice of building either a 1 or 2 seater buggy from one set of plans.

4. Developing rubicamp.com (link on our website homepage). It's basically an off-road camper trailer but designed & built for heavy duty off-roading. 1st prototype built & extensively tested in 2010. Contemplating an all-aluminum 2nd prototype next. Plans to follow in 2011. Any Jeep freaks (like me) out there? Lol.

There are a lot of us that have swapped the rear suspension to trailing arms. Any possibility of incorporating trailing arms into future plans?

I like the plans for the FNR. I am interested to see how it turns out. The buggy plans would benefit with an option for a more robust driveline. A lower ratio gearbox would be good for motorcycle powerplants as well.

ErwinBnl
11-22-2010, 06:27 PM
Bruce,

I have a suggestion on your FNR gearbox:
Make an version with differential, strong enough for a Hayabusa engine and Porsche 930 axles![smilie=ecstatic.gi:

I'm planning on building one myself in the (far) future to power my ST2 with it but I don't have the knowledge, equipment and parts for it...

badlandbuggy
11-23-2010, 03:41 PM
The F-N-R Gearbox design I've been working on includes a double reduction spur gear set-up. Design considerations so far include: Lightweight, relatively low cost, Reduction 7:1 or 8:1, Design torque 100 lb.ft, design horsepower 200hp, output shafts designed for 1.25" dia keyed shafts (for u-joints) or splines (for 930 CV flanges), morse cable actuated F-N-R, no differential, aluminum housing, off-the-shelf replacable bearings, vent for breather, fill plug, drain plug, replacable gasket.

I've looked at adding a lockable differential, adds a huge cost & alot of weight, so I'm torn on whether or not to include it. An automotive differential is designed for a shaft drive system whereas a motorcycle driven buggy uses a chain drive system (unless you get a shaft driven motorcycle engine, which are harder to come by & are typically more expensive).

I've also been designing a complete electric vehicle drive system with a AC motor (reversable motor with regenerative braking) connected to a solid rear axle with a lockable diff on a four link suspension with Fox air shocks. This solves reverse, differential, eliminates u-joints/cv's & would be a bulletproof design. This alternative adds alot of weight & the cost of a robust AC EV system with decent hp output right now tips the scales at cool $6000-$8000. "EV" & "green" thinking is the way of the future, no doubt, however, does the average guy building a buggy at home have $8k to drop on an electric drive system? Somehow, I'm thinking no... :)

dirtreaper
11-23-2010, 03:59 PM
the ST4 is one of the coolest buggies I've seen I love 2 seaters Welcome and congrats and Im looking forward to all the things on the list...lol :cool:

badlandbuggy
11-23-2010, 04:18 PM
There are a lot of us that have swapped the rear suspension to trailing arms. Any possibility of incorporating trailing arms into future plans?

Great question. I've designed, built & tested several rear trailing arm suspensions in the past. Here's what I've learned:

Weight & Load: Good suspension design tells us to have the least amount of unsprung weight on the suspension (anything past the innermost pivot points) to give the best performance experience when driving. A double a-arm suspension is inherently light & structurally rigid by nature because it's supported at the chassis at four points each side, distributing load.

A rear trailing arm (at least the type I'm familiar with using) is supported the chassis at one pivot point & cantilevered towards the rear to accept a CV joint driveshaft. A rear trailing arm connection effectively carries 4 times the load of double a-arm design (1 pivot point vs. 4 pivot points). Also, a rear trailing arm has to resist a "moment" (twisting) load, simply due to it's design, whereas a double a-arm suspension does not. These things considered, it's fair to say a rear trailing arm pivot connection needs to be substantially stronger than a double a-arm pivot connection, agreed? Stronger pivot connection = heavier load carrying bearing connection = increased weight = increased cost.

This is why I've always gravitated away from trailing arm designs & stuck with double a-arm suspensions. They are easy to build at home, lightweight & low cost. Again, this is just my opinion & my experiences.

NinjaRaptor
01-18-2011, 11:19 AM
I've also been designing a complete electric vehicle drive system with a AC motor (reversable motor with regenerative braking) connected to a solid rear axle with a lockable diff on a four link suspension with Fox air shocks. This solves reverse, differential, eliminates u-joints/cv's & would be a bulletproof design. This alternative adds alot of weight & the cost of a robust AC EV system with decent hp output right now tips the scales at cool $6000-$8000. "EV" & "green" thinking is the way of the future, no doubt, however, does the average guy building a buggy at home have $8k to drop on an electric drive system? Somehow, I'm thinking no... :)

First time post for me, new to the site......

The electric motor concept does have the perk of instantaneous torque, but the range issue and the system cost would be the drawback. The new Nissan Leaf only has a range of 40 miles on battery power with no backup. No doubt the sand environment would reduce that range significantly. I would look at something like commercial off the shelf components supporting a gas motor to create the electricity used to drive the electric motor. It would at least address the range issue, but maybe not the cost issue. Trinity power systems developed an off the shelf setup a while back for the auto industry. It also leverages new capacity technology to support peak power demands. Even so, you would still have the cost issue, and most likely an increase in weight as well. The technology is just not cost effective yet......

I was actually kicking around using a small gas turbine (APU) to drive an ATV a while back, but the noise issues and drivetrain challenges were a bit much..:D

Glock n Ballz
01-18-2011, 11:32 AM
...not to mention the weight of the batteries..

Buggies aint green buddy.

2fast4u
04-05-2012, 02:40 PM
were did they go? yoo hoo ... badlandbuggy...:eek: