PDA

View Full Version : FL350 drive belt

Dmc60
11-20-2010, 12:50 AM
Hi everyone I'm new to this forum. This is my 1st 4 wheeler,I've been off roadin long ago on two wheels . I ride mostly street have 3 bikes.
Can not fall down many more times my old bod takes 2 long to heal (60). Anyway got a ? this FL350 that I'm fixin has a Comet 102c clutch and when it's not running or idling the drive belt hits the axel. I drove it a short way foundout emergecy brake was on (frozen)and when I was talking to the owner about the belt he said it needed a new one,cause it was hitting the drive axel in other words the out side was wearing. I new he did'nt know much about the machine. I would like to know why this belt is so loose? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx,
P.S. I'm sure I'll have many more ? DMC60

K-fab
11-20-2010, 08:44 AM
Welcome to the site.

The belt is loose when the vehicle is at idle or off because it has to be.

The clutch system on a CVT (Constantly Variable Transmission) is designed so that as the engine rpm comes up, the primary (drive) clutch (the one on the engine) starts to close down on the belt, pulling it into the secondary (driven) clutch (the on on the transmission.)

As the primary clamps down it will move the belt from the inner section (low gear - small diameter drive "gear") outward (thus upshifting - larger diameter drive "gear"). At the same time the belt is pulled into the secondary once again changing "gears" by going from a large diameter "gear" to a small diameter "gear".

Take a look at a 10 speed bicycle's gear setup. Look at the relationship between the gear sets. First gear has a large drive sprocket and a small driven. 10th has just the opposite.

Also, if the belt was tight, you wouldn't be able to get it on/off.

As long as the belt's allowed to hit the axle, while everything's loose, it shouldn't be a problem. As soon as you get the engine rpms up, you'll see that the front clutch closes down, pulls on the belt and takes the tension out of if. All is good.

Dmc60
11-20-2010, 04:48 PM
Thanks, K-fab going to put a new belt on anyways. The only exper. I've had with this kind of clutch and belt system is on a old Bridgeport mill.
Thanx again
DMC60

sosasser
11-20-2010, 07:34 PM
There are many different sizes of belts. Its possible that the belt that is on it is from something else like a snowmobile. A loose or to large size belt will work, but will probably not shift correctly. When you get the new one you should check with a Honda dealer to make sure you get the right belt. You will know when you got the right belt because it will be a son-of-a-bitch to get on.

Hoodlum
11-21-2010, 07:45 AM
The belt hitting the axle is nvery common and completely normal...Your new one will do it as well....It rubs the cv a little on the pilot too....The width of the belt is what needs to be measured for wear....They will stretch a little over time,but usually break before they stretch very far....
Hoodlum

LiveWire
11-23-2010, 09:38 AM
New width is 1 3/16.