PDA

View Full Version : Project log, New SXR from Sinister Sand Sports....

yoshi
09-29-2010, 04:37 PM
This has been a side project for a little over a year now. My Australian distributor wants to race, so I had to redesign my chassis to pass spec, the main change was switching to 1.5" tubing. I'm now discontinuing the SR2 to replace it with this. Outside a side tube cross brace, this is the way the base model SXR frame will look. This particular rail will have additional bracing for racing, but I haven't installed them yet to make working around the rail easier.

Few specs.
112" wheelbase (same as SR2)
95" rear track width with paddles (5" wider than SR2)
20"+ travel all 4 corners
6" ground clearance in front, 5" in the rear
1.5" DOM tubing
roof rack with spare tire
nerf bars
40" LED lightbar
(2) HID spot lights
22 gallon fuel cell
coilover and triple bypass on all 4 corners
clean air system
race radios
GPS

Couple other difference between the SR2 and the SXR
roof and interior driver compartment are more spacious
adjustable hanging pedal assembly
more upright seating with raised seat and roof
huge storage space under the hood

The biggest new design change is the ability to run any powerplant/tranny combo, mid or rear engine configuration.
The motor, tranny, fuel tank, radiator, all radiator, fuel and oil lines are all mounted to the subframe, which means you can change to any motor/tranny configurations as desired by swapping out the subframe only, no frame mods required.

This rail will be running a busa powerplant, so to drop the motor out, there is one plug for the harness at the fire wall, 1 clamp for the air intake, a clutch line, throttle line, and undo the axles and the whole thing drops out, fuel, radiator and all. This could allow for a 20 min. swap to another subframe during a race if need be. Wiring and plumbing of the motor can be done in the subframe on a stand, even fired up if need be before installing in the chassis, which will make assembly easier for me.

I mocked this chassis up around a subi motor since it's the widest, which means any other motor will fit in here with a different subframe.

The rail looks very similar to the SR2, I still love the look and am not quite ready for a complete design change just yet. The aluminum in the lower nose is the most notifiable difference, the side panels are taller and the wing is 10" wider. The rail is bigger, but so far, the chassis is 75 pounds lighter than the SR2 since I lost about 50 foot of tubing in the new design. I also changed out a lot of the misc bracing to thinner wall material.

I should have this a roller by the end of next week if some parts show up. The new radiator design should be here by the first of next week.

The hanging pedal plate is for mockup, it's tacked in place and the final parts will be here anytime which will add 4" more rearward travel to the adjustable slider system. The gas pedal and dead pedal will be mounted to a plate that attaches to slots on the floor to adjust them as well.

Anyway, here's how she sits now......

yoshi
09-29-2010, 04:39 PM
more.....

yoshi
09-29-2010, 04:43 PM
before I changed the lower a-arm, how it will look with a subi setup, how the subframe comes out......

yoshi
09-29-2010, 04:44 PM
And Jigzilla 3, the newest addition to the chassis building family...

ttginc
09-29-2010, 06:04 PM
I like it - :D

antioch
09-29-2010, 06:27 PM
Really nice looking setup Yoshi.

FactoryPhil
09-29-2010, 07:50 PM
so nice :p love the jigzilla

Wheels
09-29-2010, 09:48 PM
yeah, that is one heck of a jig!! i like the buggy too..

N8ball
09-30-2010, 05:13 AM
Top shelf Yoshi, as always.

Do you build the first frame free style, then build the jig to match or start with the jig?

ProtoDie
09-30-2010, 05:20 AM
looks good, I like the front sheet metal work

dirtreaper
09-30-2010, 06:32 AM
Sick work Yoshi it really does look Sinister!!!

daaboots
09-30-2010, 06:46 AM
Wow... that jig is impressive!

Deranged
09-30-2010, 07:06 AM
Finally the Subi motor eh....

Very nice!

Justin

yoshi
09-30-2010, 07:50 AM
Top shelf Yoshi, as always.

Do you build the first frame free style, then build the jig to match or start with the jig?

Yerp. Then I have to make some minor tweaking to the blue prints for the first 2 or 3, then the pieces fit nicely into the jig from then on....

yoshi
09-30-2010, 08:03 AM
Full bump (5" clearance rear, 6" clearance front)
Full extension (25"+ clearance) although I did a little tweaking to the shock mounts to get it to 26" in the front after the pic.

TutTech
09-30-2010, 09:04 AM
Very cool Yoshi.:)

TRC
09-30-2010, 09:57 AM
WOW! that looks awesome.

yoshi
09-30-2010, 10:15 AM
And a pic of the new seating position and head clearance, which is a lot more comfortable. I'm just under 6'2", 170 pounds, and the pedals still go about 2" farther forward than in the picture, which were already about 2" farther than what I would have them set at for me.........

yoshi
09-30-2010, 10:22 AM
And the amount of wider protective space between the occupants and the outside frame rails...

Shmeefer
09-30-2010, 01:26 PM
before I changed the lower a-arm, how it will look with a subi setup, how the subframe comes out......

So do you have 4-5 bolts per side at the mid-point and then 1 bolt per side at the front on that subframe? I want to do a subframe in my buggy but haven't seen any clear pictures or thoughts on how/what to do. Got any insight?

BTW, the car looks great as usual.

yoshi
09-30-2010, 04:16 PM
So do you have 4-5 bolts per side at the mid-point and then 1 bolt per side at the front on that subframe? I want to do a subframe in my buggy but haven't seen any clear pictures or thoughts on how/what to do. Got any insight?

BTW, the car looks great as usual.The front 2 lower bolts are grade 8, 3/4", but there will actually be (4) 3/4" bolts up there since the tab the front of the subframe bolts to has 2 holes in it, one for the subframe and one for the traiing arm. The rear has (6) 1/2", grade 8 bolts per side. There will also be (2) additional 3/4" bolts that attach the back of the subframe up to the tail, just under the wing. All those bolts are overkill for a busa setup, but the mount plates need to be there for all the chassis to handle a worse case scenario, which would be a V8 with a heavy tranny.

yoshi
12-18-2010, 11:39 AM
pics of the light bar and new dash.....

moto1
12-18-2010, 05:05 PM
Good looking stuff, I dig it.. keep them coming.[smilie=ecstatic.gi:

TutTech
12-18-2010, 06:53 PM
Looks good Yoshi.. not sure if you can but in racing it's nice to put some room between you and your passenger so you don't hit them with your elbow while shifting/driving etc. If you have that much room to the outside you may want to push the seats a part a little and give them more room between.
Just a thought... I actually leave driver in place and push the passenger out a little in most my cars.. Anyways just a thought up to you and the room you have at the floor..

Looks good though and can't wait to see it finished.. ;)

oh and what the heck are the smart cars multiplying??? :D
LOL

Keep up the good work and keep us posted.
:)

yoshi
01-14-2011, 02:58 PM
This is the new chassis that just came out of the jig. Most of the bracing is in now...

Gene
01-14-2011, 03:52 PM
Is that going somewhere people drive on the left side?

yoshi
01-14-2011, 05:56 PM
Is that going somewhere people drive on the left side?

First post of this topic, second sentence....:p

Engineer
01-14-2011, 07:59 PM
First post of thIS topic, second sentence....:p

[smilie=rofl.gif]

I knew it was going to Australia. Do I get a cookie?

jersdunz
01-15-2011, 12:19 AM
Yes Yoshi you owe Engineer a Cookie..You have to get him one of these (http://www.goodfortunes.com/Gigantic_Caramel_Toffee_with_Chocolate_Drizzle_p/gf3d.htm) they are amazing.. I got one Via fedex for Valentines day a year a go there amazing.. Don't be frontin.. git R! dun..lol

yoshi
01-31-2011, 09:45 AM
Little more progress. Waiting on the new top springs for the front to show up in the next day or 2, then it will be a roller......

yoshi
01-31-2011, 09:46 AM
Also, in case anyone was interested how I dial out any bumpsteer, figured i'd post a few pics and an explanation of setting one up.

I designed a bracket that bolts onto the rack that allows the outside mount to swing up and down to find the right height location. For side to side, I simply move the rack itself like turning the steering wheel, and when I find the correct number, I make a line on the bracket showing where the center of the rack is and I can then lay it out on a piece of thin aluminum, mark the new outer location, the center point, then determine how far off center 2 rack mount bolts are off and make the bumpsteer bracket. I designed a few different length ones to bolt up as well for more adjustment.

I start off with a bar clamped to my bulkhead. I then cycle the wheel up and use a square edge to get the wheel parallel with the bar. I use a 4 foot level, and I tighten up the wheel hub enough so I can set the level on the studs and make sure it stays level. I then stick a level on the square i'm holding by hand and adjust the tie rod so the wheel is parallel. I then pull my tool box about 10" away make it parallel to the level on the hub, I use the tool box to measure the distance to the level front and back to determine if there is in or out toe.

I just start by making my best guess to where the inside control heim will be.
After it's level, I like to drop it the full 21 inches to see if the wheel has in or out toe. In toe and the control rod is too short and I need to make it longer and/or pivot the outer inside mount down a bit. If the rod needs to be longer, I simple slide the rack over like your turning the wheel, then start back up from the top and adjust the control rod to get the wheel level with the angle again. I can cycle it again and measure from the level to the tool box, front and back, and see if the number is greater or less than before and I can determine where the inner control rod heim needs to be.

I have done this quite a few times so I am pretty good at it. It took approximately 35 min. to go from a start of 5" bumpsteer, to 1/64" bumpsteer throughout 21" travel.

Attached are pics to help explain the process...

yoshi
01-31-2011, 09:47 AM
2 more of the bumpsteer setup.....

OneBigMike
01-31-2011, 10:46 AM
Looks good Yoshi....

jersdunz
02-02-2011, 06:54 AM
what are those spindle hubs like 15in tall..?? That front end is Looking Awesome!.

yoshi
02-07-2011, 11:42 AM
what are those spindle hubs like 15in tall..?? That font end is awesome looking.

Spindle body is just under 16".

It's a roller. I also got the brackets in for the power steering but am not happy with the side gussets so I redesigned them and sent the drawings to the plasma cutter for the new design......

jersdunz
02-08-2011, 03:04 PM
Does this tube make it very difficult to get in and out of the opening over the seats? It appears tiny on this chassis.. or am I just trippin?

yoshi
02-08-2011, 05:22 PM
Does this tube make it very difficult to get in and out of the opening over the seats is tiny on this chassis.. or am I just trippin?

Even though the extra bracing is only there because it's a race buggy, there is more room than it looks like. I'm 6'1", 170 pounds for a size comparison......

standfast
02-08-2011, 07:22 PM
You gonna protect that fuel cell? Being a race buggy, one nerf will kill it as is. I like the added bracing put into the chassis. Full skid plate? Oil pan sits low in the chassis if it is like the other cars. The header and pan need protection and your not gonna want it open under the seats either. Is there anyway you can fit the spare tire under the hood? I remember there being a lot of room there. Would be an awesome location for a spare and a better place to put that weight.

jersdunz
02-08-2011, 07:40 PM
Even though the extra bracing is only there because it's a race buggy, there is more room than it looks like. I'm 6'1", 170 pounds for a size comparison......

Yea seeing your goofy mug in there does put it in perspective..he he he
I Really did try to hold back on that one..

Seriously though I am diggin the chassis..

yoshi
02-08-2011, 09:22 PM
You gonna protect that fuel cell? Being a race buggy, one nerf will kill it as is. I like the added bracing put into the chassis. Full skid plate? Oil pan sits low in the chassis if it is like the other cars. The header and pan need protection and your not gonna want it open under the seats either. Is there anyway you can fit the spare tire under the hood? I remember there being a lot of room there. Would be an awesome location for a spare and a better place to put that weight.

Yes, there will be a full bumper hoop that attaches to the subframe to protect the fuel cell that will be a weaker material for some crumple. I left 4 mount locations on the subframe that I will be using. I will also be building nerf bars for the sides to stick out as far as the tires per his regulations.

The oil pan/headers are above the bottom of the subframe, but yes, full skid plate.

No room for the tire under the hood, I was trying to make that work at first. I still may move the tire to the back above the wing and behind the radiator.

I'm also working on some new a-arms to give a lot more clearance. Not sure if it will be done on this buggy, but I have one more getting built behind it that has requested a few additional things for his race specs. I've already raised the lower rear tabs up to be above the chassis.

moto1
02-26-2011, 08:56 AM
Yoshi, If you dont mind, how about a close-up photo of were the rear arms attach to the frame, man those rear arms look beefy..and strong.;)
Why again are you playing with the front a-arms? just for the extra strenth for off road vs lite duty for sand?
Great build, keep it coming..........

yoshi
06-27-2011, 08:04 AM
Why again are you playing with the front a-arms? just for the extra strenth for off road vs lite duty for sand?
Great build, keep it coming..........

more ground clearance......

Customer decided on a different set of tires. Got this thing all torn apart, welded and going to sandblasting on Wed.

yoshi
06-27-2011, 08:05 AM
more....

yoshi
06-27-2011, 08:06 AM
More.......

yoshi
06-27-2011, 08:08 AM
Side note. Decided to start working on a new set of lower a-arms and spindles for new models to get about 8+" more ground clearance under the arm. I'm building new shock towers to raise the shocks up higher and building the lower a-arm out of 1.5" materiel. The new spindles will also replace the lower 3/4" heim with a 1" heim and moved the heim up over 4" to be directly behind the snout. The spindle below is just for mockup and i'll be having new snouts machined that have a bolt pattern in them for easy instal or swap to a 2" snout for when I make my bigger hubs later on.

New spindle is on the right, the 1" heim was a lot bigger than I thought it would be, it's sitting next to the 3/4" heim i've always ran in the past.....

The new lower arm will not have any bends in it, it will be a straight shot from behind the spindle snout to the chassis.

yoshi
06-27-2011, 08:09 AM
And I have a customer that requested a lower side rail since his wife has problems getting into rails. We may or may not be installing a door on it as well. The bottom of the seat is about 1/2" above the lower tube and the back/side of the seat follows the upward part of the tube. (last pic has a tube in to represent the door)

vidio1
06-27-2011, 08:58 AM
I really like the looks of the lowered side rail......

Gene
06-27-2011, 10:14 AM
Good product evolution on suspension and good customer service meeting their requirement to change the rail.

That's what it takes to sell cars.

Bugpac
06-27-2011, 11:12 AM
Looks good yoshi, why not use a uniball in the lower tho?

yoshi
06-27-2011, 11:38 AM
Looks good yoshi, why not use a uniball in the lower tho?

I just like heims, plus their cheaper and easier to work with and make adjustments.....

ProtoDie
06-27-2011, 02:37 PM
looks great!

Getting into the buggy is a challenge for many older,larger,,,or uncoordinated people.
That is a large portion of the market.

you gotta be Bo or Luke Duke to get in thing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I've been told.

If you put a door in, and have a heavy duty type of locking mechanism,,,,,IMO: that would add back in some of the structural strength lost by adding the better entry.

still will be WAY safer / stronger than a normal side by side even with out the door in.

Xcalibur
06-29-2011, 12:23 PM
what trans on the subie?

yoshi
06-29-2011, 12:42 PM
what trans on the subie?

Any tranny will work......

yoshi
08-23-2011, 06:46 AM
Got the frame back from powder.

The customer let me pick the paint scheme so I went with a darker silver vein for the chassis that is a little more flat in color, the sub frame and roof rack are also this color. The suspension and nerf bars are gloss black.

The panels will be done this week. I decided on gloss black for the sides, roof, wing and hood nose/edge pieces. I went with flat black for the inner front fenders, dash, firewall and center hinged hood section.

yoshi
08-23-2011, 06:47 AM
more.....

yoshi
08-23-2011, 06:48 AM
I also got the new lower a-arms mocked up for future SXR's. Just waiting on the final bulkhead plates and new lower shock tabs to show up. The upper and lower arms are now 1.5", .120 material with no bends in them. I still have to design a gusset box for them. I also dropped the upper arm spindle mount down about a 1/2", the new plates for them should be in this week as well...

yoshi
08-23-2011, 06:49 AM
Got a bunch more SXR's right behind it.......:p

drognlin
08-23-2011, 11:32 PM
Very nice work yoshi do you have any shots of those a arms from the top

TutTech
08-28-2011, 03:36 AM
Looking good Yoshi...
;)

yoshi
08-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Thank ya much....

Got the new a-arms/spindles pretty much figured out. I need to build a fixture, add some plate support to the lower arm, gusset plate for the top arm, then get the inner box plates for the spindles and I will finally have this part out of the way, and yes, all the suspension tabs you see that are single shear will be double shear.

I ended up with 20-1/4" wheel travel in the front end with 5.5" ground clearance at full bump.

yoshi
08-28-2011, 05:45 PM
pic-tours.......:p

yoshi
08-28-2011, 05:46 PM
more pic-tours....

yoshi
08-29-2011, 01:23 PM
Oil cooler and clean air system for the helmets.....

Gene
08-30-2011, 05:46 AM
I had not noticed before but you switched to Trailing arms (or semi).

Did that solve a travel and CV angularity problem? Was there some other reason?

yoshi
08-30-2011, 06:59 AM
I had not noticed before but you switched to Trailing arms (or semi).

Did that solve a travel and CV angularity problem? Was there some other reason?

I've always ran trailing arms for the bigger rails. The SXS have a-arms, but that's just to keep the overall width down.......

Gene
08-30-2011, 11:37 AM
Oh, I was reading SXS but you said SXR.

My mistake. Dyslexic to some extent. Mildly pre-occupied to a large extent.

I know and have known the large cars are not A-arms.

Thanks for responding and redirecting my attention!

yoshi
09-12-2011, 08:16 AM
Been working on the new door design a lot lately, got about 30 hours invested Sat. and Sun. alone.

I still have a lot of detail stuff to clean up, these are just the mockups and i'm making more changes. I have to build a shell for the inside of the door to fully box it in and make it more rigid.

My goal was to have a door that didn't clash with the current body lines, but I was really wanting something that people wouldn't even notice. Buddy of mine showed up Sunday and he was looking at the car when I open the door, he didn't even realize it had one on there so I guess it's fairly hidden. I tucked the hinge back behind the front edge so you don't really even see it.

I'm pretty happy with it so far. I have a few ideas for a latch assembly but honestly, i'm just kinda winging this thing so i'll worry about that when I get there. I have a whole pile of aluminum I scrapped to get to this point, lol......

Anyway, few pics of the progress, and like I said, it's kinda rough so it will look better when completed........

yoshi
09-12-2011, 08:17 AM
more......

ProtoDie
09-12-2011, 09:50 AM
looks good, nice job

Rat4020
09-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Looks real nice Yoshi .. I was kinda surprised not to see a Lambo style door ( or is that in the works for the wifes SXR)[smilie=dunno.gif] LOL

yoshi
09-15-2011, 12:42 PM
Looks real nice Yoshi .. I was kinda surprised not to see a Lambo style door ( or is that in the works for the wifes SXR)[smilie=dunno.gif] LOL

They doors do swing out and up, just not as much as a lambo....:p

It's a roller......

Rat4020
09-15-2011, 02:26 PM
Like I said they look very nice and better yet ,easier to get in and out is a def plus. Two thumbs up on that man......[smilie=non_banana2:P.S wat do ya want for two of them lights ?

yoshi
09-22-2011, 11:50 AM
More progress pics. Shots with my quad are at max droop, (roughly 27" clearance with the tires still touching).......

yoshi
09-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Here's some pics of another SXR i'm working on to show a different light arrangement for the nose.

yoshi
09-22-2011, 11:53 AM
And I just got in a new toy for another current project. Tired of turbo lag? Tired of waiting for max RPM to get max boost out of a supercharger? How about a twin screw super charger. 12 to 14 pounds of boost at 1,500 rpm (idle on a busa) and stays there till redline. Shooting for around 350 hp and bottom end torque range should be unreal, which is why they don't put them on streetbikes. I'm actually doing 3 like this. Motor is currently being built to handle the extra power....

ProtoDie
09-22-2011, 12:11 PM
that will definitely be unreal,,,,very nice

Gene
09-22-2011, 12:30 PM
As usual I like what you are doing. Not bad for a guy with ADD or even ADHD!

Impressive numbers for the supercharger and especially since it begins off idle. What mods to the engine and please give a round number for a running engine.

yoshi
09-22-2011, 12:38 PM
As usual I like what you are doing. Not bad for a guy with ADD or even ADHD!

Impressive numbers for the supercharger and especially since it begins off idle. What mods to the engine and please give a round number for a running engine.

Scott at headsup is building the motor for me, he will also do all the mapping and dialing in of the super charger. I'm currently mocking up the bracketry to attach the charger to the engine and will send it to him.

Waiting on all his recommendations to the motor and we'll pretty much spare no expense to what it needs to handle the power, but that's not really my area to say for sure exactly what all would be done. Some stuff that I recall being done to the last 400+ capable turbo motor we built were pistons, rods, cams, oil pump gear, studs, lifters, clutch, backcut/chryo tranny, etc.

We're also going with a Hays clutch, which will free spin in gear below a certain RPM so you don't need the clutch to take off.

Deranged
09-22-2011, 01:03 PM
HOLY CRAP! So basiclly it will be plumbed like a turbo, and going through a cooler, and into the intake? As for a belt, what side of the motor is the pulley going to hang off? And what kind of chain/FNR combo are you planning on? Cool stuff here, for sure!

Justin

yoshi
09-22-2011, 01:35 PM
HOLY CRAP! So basiclly it will be plumbed like a turbo, and going through a cooler, and into the intake? As for a belt, what side of the motor is the pulley going to hang off? And what kind of chain/FNR combo are you planning on? Cool stuff here, for sure!

Justin

Correct, plumbed like a normal turbo setup. I'm designing a mount to get the outlet to 2" to run to an intercooler, then to a custom built plenum with proper air dumps since even at idle, it will produce max boost and with no way to dump the charged air, it would blow the butterflies through the throttle bodies as soon as the motor started. We have some cool stuff in mind for all that though....

There isn't a FNR or chain that will hold up very long to what I am doing, so i'm building my own for this setup and will be eliminating the chain.....

I set it up against a motor in a smart car conversion kit i'm doing to give an idea of the setup. It will be farther away from the motor, but it would fall off the table if it was any farther for the picture....

yoshi
09-22-2011, 01:41 PM
And I said 12 to 14 pounds which was referring to what we will be running since we are only looking to have around 350hp. The charger can do more......

zuverinb
09-22-2011, 06:58 PM
How are you going to eliminate a chain? Are you going to have the engine mounted north to south?

yoshi
09-22-2011, 07:02 PM
How are you going to eliminate a chain? Are you going to have the engine mounted north to south?

Motor mounts sideways.....

zuverinb
09-22-2011, 07:17 PM
How are you going to transfer the power from the engine to the axles without a chain?

Deranged
09-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Very innovative. Looks nice, and packaged nice! Will the SC be mounted to where you can rotate it for belt tension? I am eager to see the drivetrain for this. I am sure it will be top notch for sure.

Justin.

yoshi
09-22-2011, 07:33 PM
How are you going to transfer the power from the engine to the axles without a chain?

magic......

yoshi
09-22-2011, 07:34 PM
Very innovative. Looks nice, and packaged nice! Will the SC be mounted to where you can rotate it for belt tension? I am eager to see the drivetrain for this. I am sure it will be top notch for sure.

Justin.

There will be a separate tensioner.....

Deranged
09-22-2011, 08:31 PM
Cool... Spring loaded, automotive type, for ease of replacment? sorry for all the basic questions, just dig the idea.

yoshi
09-23-2011, 05:35 AM
Cool... Spring loaded, automotive type, for ease of replacment? sorry for all the basic questions, just dig the idea.

Leaning toward spring loaded, haven't decided yet. There are 3 really smart people working on this project with me and right now to work out all the detail stuff for the best setup....

Gene
09-23-2011, 06:04 AM
Magic as in gear driven? Ok, keep a lid on it then.

Will it have a differential, will it have reverse, how wide will it be?

C'mon. Give something more.

yoshi
09-23-2011, 06:45 AM
Magic as in gear driven? Ok, keep a lid on it then.

Will it have a differential, will it have reverse, how wide will it be?

C'mon. Give something more.

No diff, but could easily be installed at anytime.
Reverse of course.....:p

That's it for now........[smilie=whistle.gif]

PIRANHAPARTS
09-26-2011, 03:50 AM
MMMMMM Im getting one of those:)

Jason
Australia

yoshi
10-06-2011, 01:49 PM
I still have some welding to do and haven't made the control arm mounts yet, but the new a-arm design is pretty close to being finished. Rotors are for mockup only, final product is being built now.......

Binze
10-06-2011, 02:07 PM
Why not 90angle with shock and lower arm at full bump? soz if dump question...

yoshi
10-06-2011, 04:03 PM
Why not 90angle with shock and lower arm at full bump? soz if dump question...

Not a requirement......

PIRANHAPARTS
10-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Thats awsonme Yoshi! Its now starting to take the Off Road look i wanted....

Twigster
10-12-2011, 04:43 AM
Your work just makes me drool. How much steering angle do you get from those upright by the way and is it enough?

yoshi
10-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Your work just makes me drool. How much steering angle do you get from those upright by the way and is it enough?

Are you asking how far can I turn the wheels from side to side?

CARLRIDDLE
10-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Just wanted to say that after poping in to Yoshi's shop, the SXR was realy good looking in person. Couldn't get over how much smaller it wat than his full size. Want to thank Yoshi for the tour and say he has some cool secret ideas coming soon. Sorry no spy pics.

yoshi
10-12-2011, 02:16 PM
Just wanted to say that after poping in to Yoshi's shop, the SXR was realy good looking in person. Couldn't get over how much smaller it wat than his full size. Want to thank Yoshi for the tour and say he has some cool secret ideas coming soon. Sorry no spy pics.

Thank ya much, glad the trip wasn't wasted making a detour on your way to the dunes.

Did you mean couldn't get over how much bigger the SXR was, or how much smaller the SXS was than the full size SXR?

And you didn't even get to see all my secrets, some of them were hidden away in the room that requires eye scan and voice activated operating systems to get in, lol.....

Twigster
10-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Are you asking how far can I turn the wheels from side to side?

yeah, the steering lock?:confused:

yoshi
11-09-2011, 08:30 PM
yeah, the steering lock?:confused:

1 turn from lock to lock......

Getting closer...........

Chikin
11-09-2011, 09:06 PM
I could print the photos and make a flip book.... so it will be animated. Cool beans yoshi

pipewelder86
11-09-2011, 09:13 PM
Looks awesome Yoshi... I haven't gotten a whole lot more done on my rail since the last time I updated my build thread. I got my seat delivered and I've started tabbing the seat mounts. I thought about having the seat on a slide mount, but I figure if I use the drop down pedals that you are using now, I will be able to adjust them enough for whoever wants to drive it. Wish I could have ordered my A-arms and trailing arms from you already, but since we had the baby, all my time and extra cash have been tied up in rocking chair time and "cute one'zees" Anyway, I'm still heading back to Bama' for Thanksgiving and depending on what time we breeze thru Broken Arrow, I might stop in and try to get a little ambition... But when we get back to work after the new year and the checks start rolling in again, it's gonna be go time. I'm determined to have it finished by the end of next year. And if I don't, it won't be because I don't have the parts to finish it with, it'll be because of not having enough time to work on it...:D Anyway... awesome work as usual, looks friggin cool. Probably gonna have to get either an SXS or SXR kit after I finish my SR1...

yoshi
11-14-2011, 05:15 PM
All done, leaving for Australia tomorrow.........

yoshi
11-14-2011, 05:16 PM

yoshi
11-14-2011, 05:16 PM

TheDoc
11-14-2011, 10:52 PM
Whos the lucky bastard in Australia getting that Yoshi, Which state? Perth is about the only place with plenty of sand..

Nick.

PIRANHAPARTS
11-15-2011, 03:18 AM
Whos the lucky bastard in Australia getting that Yoshi, Which state? Perth is about the only place with plenty of sand..

Nick.

Hey Doc,

I know he is sending 2 to the eastern states and im getting a custom build my self.....
Im in Perth and Yoshi is building me an Offroad Version to race within Australia...
Ive been working with Yoshi and all i can say is he has been a pleasure to deal with and more than happy to accomodate my needs and requests...

Here is my email Doc

Drop me a line as you may be able to help me out with a few questions

jason@torquetoolsintl.com

Jason

ProtoDie
11-15-2011, 05:16 AM
nice job on your purchase. may have to change your handle to Yoshiparts:)

yoshi
11-15-2011, 05:39 AM

Nick.

He's in Brisbane. This rail prob. won't see sand, he only got the dirt tire package. Both the black SXR, and red SXS in the last picture are his, as well as a single seater. All 3 will be loaded up today around 2 and will be there Jan. 8th.....

CARLRIDDLE
11-15-2011, 06:03 AM
Well if I'm in Aus and want to go play I know who to look up. Sweet rides, I got to look them over and was really impressed with the SXS. Glad Yoshi washed them to remove fingerprints.

rgvkid
11-15-2011, 09:51 AM
Looks Awesome! Always been a fan of your design.

I saw a Sinister buggy last weekend in Glamis!

yoshi
11-15-2011, 10:25 AM
Thank ya much, I appreciate the compliments...

SXR, SXS, and SR1 single seater are all ready, waiting on shipping company to get here.....

ProtoDie
11-15-2011, 02:33 PM
small,,,medium ,,,and large

good selection,,,I like them all.
but I must say I like the size of your SXS the best.

built for 2 and can drive into a trailer with out a tire change

TheDoc
11-19-2011, 03:38 AM
Well if I'm in Aus and want to go play I know who to look up. Sweet rides, I got to look them over and was really impressed with the SXS. Glad Yoshi washed them to remove fingerprints.

And Drool. ;)

yoshi
12-13-2011, 10:04 AM
Here's another one i'm working on.

Silver vein chassis, gloss black suspension, hubs, wheel centers, candy blue beadlock rigs, coil springs and vinyl grafix, and tri coat pearl white from a lexus, done in automotive paint for the panels......

I went with a highly reflective blue vinyl for the graphics, not only does the color match the closest to the candy powdercoat during the day at multiple angles, but at night, when light hits them, they light up like neon. It looks amazing in person.

yoshi
12-13-2011, 10:05 AM
more.....

yoshi
12-13-2011, 10:06 AM
I'll have my name on the back in the same vinyl layout.....

Here is one I did a while back with the same kind of reflective film, it's really nice when your following someone at night as it shows up from very far distances away......

yoshi
12-13-2011, 10:45 AM
Photoshop rendering of the final rail......

ProtoDie
12-13-2011, 11:50 AM
I like the color scheme, looks good

VENOM
12-13-2011, 05:19 PM
Thank ya much, I appreciate the compliments...

SXR, SXS, and SR1 single seater are all ready, waiting on shipping company to get here.....

What were the overall dimensions L X W X H of your new SXR you sent to Austraillia? I know you posted them in the beginning of the build but with some of the progressive design changes I was wondering if the end product was different? Height with and without the spare if you have them please?:D

yoshi
12-13-2011, 09:07 PM
What were the overall dimensions L X W X H of your new SXR you sent to Austraillia? I know you posted them in the beginning of the build but with some of the progressive design changes I was wondering if the end product was different? Height with and without the spare if you have them please?:D

Overall length is 11'11",

Overall width with dirt tires is 90", outside tire to outside tire,

Overall width with sand tires is 92".

Overall ride height without roof rack or spare is about 68", so however wide the tire is would increase that.

yoshi
12-13-2011, 09:11 PM
I like the color scheme, looks good

Thank ya. It's nice when the customer gives me free reign to design the color scheme. I use to like the all black, but now I want some color, lol.

CARLRIDDLE
12-14-2011, 06:44 AM
I believe those pearl panels were the ones I spied in your trailer while at the shop. Nice, really like the the contrast look, light panels dark tube, or the other way would be nice too.

yoshi
03-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Some updates on the white rail........

yoshi
03-02-2012, 03:24 PM
few more......

rob8420
03-02-2012, 03:38 PM
That looks great :D

Love the colour scheme, those neons look ace [smilie=ecstatic.gi:

One of my fav looking buggies :)

Robin

moose79
03-02-2012, 06:41 PM
verry nice Yoshi. Do you have any pictures of the engine installed with the Radiator mounted too.

PLEASE!!!!

yoshi
03-02-2012, 08:40 PM
verry nice Yoshi. Do you have any pictures of the engine installed with the Radiator mounted too.

PLEASE!!!!

Only one of the above pics doesn't have the motor/radiator installed.......

daaboots
03-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Turbo!!! :D

yoshi
04-13-2012, 02:16 PM
Some pics of the new final a-arm design, also new nerf bars (still bolt in bolt out)

yoshi
04-13-2012, 02:18 PM
more........

yoshi
04-13-2012, 02:19 PM
Working on a few different options for the lower side rails that don't have doors.

I'll be offering these with and without scoops on the side and nerf bars are bolt in options...........

Lug-Nuts
04-13-2012, 08:57 PM
my buggy said "I want to be a SRX when I grow up"

yoshi
06-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Got it running Sat. Turbo is running a little rich at idle so I need to do a little tuning before I hit the dunes.......

Sand tires........

yoshi
06-04-2012, 05:54 PM

yoshi
06-04-2012, 05:56 PM
dirt tires........

yoshi
06-04-2012, 05:57 PM
Evidently, the neighborhood behind my shop doesn't like the sound of a turbo hayabusa sand rail running at 11k RPM up and down the parking lot, so they called the police. Cops showed up, said they got a complaint about a go kart making too much noise and they started laughing. I asked if they could just write go cart and 6 year old in their report, but they were too busy checking out the rail to really care. Shook my hand, said have a nice day, have fun and were on their way.

Sinister Go Karts, I like the sound of that..........

NinjaRaptor
06-04-2012, 06:01 PM
Evidently, the neighborhood behind my shop doesn't like the sound of a turbo hayabusa sand rail running at 11k RPM up and down the parking lot, so they called the police. Cops showed up, said they got a complaint about a go kart making too much noise and they started laughing. I asked if they could just write go cart and 6 year old in their report, but they were too busy checking out the rail to really care. Shook my hand, said have a nice day, have fun and were on their way.

Sinister Go Karts, I like the sound of that..........

Heck, you should have asked him how much for the lights on the top of the police car, they might go well with the rail:)

Bullnerd
06-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Yeah,the paint matches!

yoshi
06-21-2012, 06:24 AM
Some quick passes up the street. Nothing fancy and I still need to do some tuning, but i'm taking it out this weekend for some sand running........

First drive of turbo busa SXR sandrail from Sinister Sand Sports - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BJUAGAVnXg&feature=plcp)

CARLRIDDLE
06-21-2012, 06:27 AM
I like the color! 2 min, is that the limit before neighbors call the cops for drag racing again?

yoshi
06-21-2012, 06:33 AM
I like the color! 2 min, is that the limit before neighbors call the cops for drag racing again?

I usually have just enough time to make 3 or 4 quick passes up the street, then get it in the shop as quick as I can, and walk up front before I see a cop car creeping through the industrial complex, lol.......

Deranged
06-21-2012, 07:47 PM
The sound of the turbo Is rediculus!! Sweet!!

Justin

Azeriksis
06-21-2012, 07:56 PM
It was ok... Yeah right that think is BAD AZZ!!!

yoshi
06-25-2012, 09:50 AM
Ran down to the river yesterday for a few hours of shakedown since it's a little over an hour away and 2.5 hours closer than the dunes. Not very big and not much to do, but I got a few pictures and some video. Working on the video now, will try to upload soon. Gonna make a trip to the dunes for the real shakedown in a few weeks after I get this thing dialed in on the dyno....

Suspension is a little soft, came up at decent speed to a sharp incline at an angle and the car rolled to the side and the right nerf bar dug in and kicked up quite a bit of sand. The picture of that is taken from the video which looks pretty cool to watch and I have a few different camera angles from it (had 3 people recording, 2 video, one camera). The sequence looks really cool on that bottom out and i'll have a slow mo of it in the video...

Motor pulls hard, would lift the inside wheel off the ground coming out of a corner in 2nd. gear.

dirtbag
06-25-2012, 10:19 AM
Very nice

CARLRIDDLE
06-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Dont think thats called a river anymore, I dont see any water.

But it looks like a good place to run.

jersdunz
06-25-2012, 12:41 PM
Yoshi You need to relocate to rexburg so you can shakedown at st. anthony 7 miles from your shop..
Of coarse you'd never get any work done this close to the sand.. lol

yoshi
06-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Dont think thats called a river anymore, I dont see any water.

But it looks like a good place to run.

There's about 400 foot of sandbar, then the river running next to it. It was down, but you can see some of it in the background of the below pic....

yoshi
06-25-2012, 07:24 PM
Little video from yesterday..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0gAv4AgFDw

yoshi
10-13-2012, 07:58 AM
Last weekend at Little Sahara. I thought I was at a different spot at the dunes, had a run at what I thought was a 2 foot drop but turned out to be over 15 foot to the bottom. The wife and I launched about 35+ foot out (the front tire of the rzr on top of the hill is the last track left by the rear tire), then hit the flat. This was a partial lawn dart after the lower spindle heim snapped (jam nut had backed out and contributed to the failure), front end sank so far into the sand it destroyed the 2 inner fender panels.

No structural damage but I ripped the whole car apart yesterday to get re sandblasted do to a few marks ont he chassis tube next to the hood panel.

The sudden stop from the front arm digging in threw our heads forward pretty hard with the weight of the helmets. We both have sore necks, but otherwise we're ok and things could have been much worse.

Rail should be good as new in the next few weeks.

And if you remove the shocks on the damaged side, strap the arms up, remove the nitrogen then strap the opposite rear shock as compressed as possible, you can drive on 3 wheels :)

yoshi
10-13-2012, 08:00 AM

yoshi
10-13-2012, 08:01 AM
On a side note. The 3/4"heim that broke is on the old SXR suspension design (ran on the 1st. 2 built). The new spindles run 1" lower heims and I think the rail would have been fine with it....

NinjaRaptor
10-13-2012, 09:51 AM
Glad to know you and the wife were ok after that incident. Looks like the rail held up well with some minor rework needed. Better to have it break out there by the well than in the cage area. I don't know if you have witches eye's in the dunes at little sahara, but we have them on the oregon coast and those things have put more people in hospitals than you would think. Think of a slight dune hill you are coming up on and what you see looks fine. As you crest the top, there is a deep 12 foot cavern that spans 10-20 feet across to the other side, but you don't see it until its too late. You and the vehicle do a nose plant to an immediate stop and get a neck injury to boot!

Chikin
10-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Hey glad your both ok. Looks like a long drop for the top of that hill.

Hey I read your ok but you know I'm going to ask ....... Video??? Clicky clicky?????