PDA

View Full Version : Latest rage steering rack

intfit
08-06-2010, 07:29 AM
I purchased a Latest Rage end load steering rack, haven't mounted it in a car yet, so I can't yet comment on it's functionality ( though it looks like it should be ok).

But I can tell you the spec's promoted by the sellers are wrong.

It's claimed to have 2" of movement from centre to lock, but straight out of the box mine had 1.75". .25" is a fair amount of steering to loose.

I only post this in case other people design their buggy on CAD to suit sellers spec's while the parts are on their way, like I did :) Probably better not to rely on sellers websites for accurate dimensions and wait for the parts to arrive before cutting any metal.

sandparts.com
09-16-2010, 05:31 PM
which part number?

intfit
09-27-2010, 06:19 AM
which part number?

Sorry Sandparts, don't know how I missed your question.

14-425152
Rack & Pinions - Page 3 (http://www.dansperformanceparts.com/buggy/susp/buggysusp%20rack&pinion.htm)

Depending on the amount of rotation (where they've been tightened) The hex jam nuts hit on the aluminium block housing limiting travel at at less than 2". If you were to slightly grind the points off the jam nut or open the housing a little you'd get 2" of travel.

Odyknuck
09-28-2010, 10:34 AM
Most Lateset rage products are Low quality China made. It may hold up on a light mini buggy and that about it. I suspect it will get sloppy rather quickly. IMHO.

intfit
09-29-2010, 08:48 AM
Most Lateset rage products are Low quality China made. It may hold up on a light mini buggy and that about it. I suspect it will get sloppy rather quickly. IMHO.

I initialy bought a bunch of parts (from a yet to be start Cheetah builder) off ebay. They included one of the very light 11inch racks. Looked so light I couldn't bring myself to use it. So I purchased the one above from the US over the net. I was a little surprised to find it wasn't "servicable". The steel rack runs straight on the the aluminium of the body.
But as you said it should be OK seen as I'm using it on a mini buggy. In fact it actualy seems reasonably solid, but wear is inevitable I just hope its years and not months.
Because I live in Australia I have to order virtualy every part sight unseen over the net and hope for the best [smilie=dunno.gif]

Odyknuck
09-29-2010, 10:48 AM
Even the SACO rack I have on my Woodsbuggy has wear. As with the LR the rack rides in the aluminum housing with no way to adjust it. You can however buy replacement parts for the SACO line. I don't know if their Magnam line has adjustable gibs or replaceable ware surfaces or not.

sandparts.com
09-29-2010, 03:24 PM
This is what you need.
Rack Snuggy for all 425152 Rack and Pinons (http://www.sandparts.com/servlet/the-960/sand-rail-parts-dune/Detail)

Let me know. I have received nothing but positive feedback from people using these. [smilie=ecstatic.gi:

Odyknuck
09-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Do they make one for the center load Saco rack?

sandparts.com
10-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Yes.

Odyknuck
10-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Link? As i recall on my rack the sides are worn on an angle so forcing the rack up into the housing with a gib plate will only do so much for it.

HYPR
12-01-2010, 12:45 PM
I'm wondering whether I am going to regret buying the 14-425153B Center load Rack & Pinion Billet Housing version?
Rack & Pinions - Page 3 (http://www.dansperformanceparts.com/buggy/susp/buggysusp%20rack&pinion.htm)

As yet I am not sure how I am going to install my heim joints to it since the collars are smaller diameter then the ID of my QA1 Heim joints. I suppose I will need some sort of bushing. I was thinking or using a Hi-Mis or something similar as a spacer if it will fit over it (I have yet to measure the OD of the collar). I also haven't checked to see what the bolt threads on the R&P are either.
Bob

HYPR
12-03-2010, 05:23 AM
As a follow up, I spoke with Dan at Dans Performance and he made several suggestions. First is he recommended disassembling the front cover/slider and installing a .003" shim which will prevent galling of the cover under loads. Next (even though he sells one) he recommended fabricating a Heim spreader to fit between the heims and the bolt heads to support the load. He also suggested that I could if needed, based on the frame/front suspension designer's specs fabricating a Center Load Heim spreader which would convert the center load to a cleves mount for the steering arms by making up 2 plates and 4 bushings. Then attach the steering arms to the outside bushings with Hi-Mis's being careful of the length (bumpsteer issue) of this set up. He cautioned to speak with John at Mosebilt before looking at this direction though.
Bob

Deranged
12-03-2010, 06:11 AM
I had to do the same on my Rorty build. It worked out pretty slick... Thats why I don't need those spacers I sent you a picture of...

Justin