PDA

View Full Version : Joyner Trooper over heating

08turbotrooper
04-09-2010, 10:17 PM
I am having issues with my Joyner trooper over heating. It is turboed and run at around 10psi boost. Any ideas out there?

nutz4sand
04-09-2010, 11:49 PM
Welcome to the site.

First off tell us more. Does it over heat NO MATTER what/how your driving? Or just under full throttle running or?

Be very specific about how it over heats.

Does the temp guage just go into the red and stay (or does it have a light to warn you?)

Did it start running warmer and warmer over time? Or all the overheating issues happen at once on one day?

Any water in the oil or oil in the water (coolant)?

Any nasty plug colors on the spark plug?

Did the overheating start after some mods? (say adding the turbo?) or was it always turboed and just started this?

Does it loose coolant? Does it spew it out on the ground or does the machine puke a white fog out the exhaust? Or does it hold the coolant in but just get bitchin hot?

Rollin rockin
04-10-2010, 08:24 AM
I am having issues with my Joyner trooper over heating. It is turboed and run at around 10psi boost. Any ideas out there?

What size air intake/ filter do you have is your filter dirty[smilie=strokin.gif]

VaDuneBuggy.com
04-11-2010, 06:21 PM
There are a few reasons why your Chery 1100cc may be overheating. Most issues are easily fixed. Because you have fuel injection, it's unlikely that the engine is running lean which could cause overheating in carb fed engines.

First of all, you should be running 93+ Octane Fuel for 8# of boost or more. Generally, I wouldn't go over 7 to 8# of boost with even the highest octane pump gas. Over 8# and you really should run race fuel to prevent pre-detonation due to the increased compression.

Thermostat - If you have EVER over heated, you have to replace the thermostat as they will often not perform correctly after they have been exposed to the excess heat.

Computer - If you upgraded the computer, you may have a unit that will not send the engine into limp mode if the mixture is off. With the 10# of boost, your stock fuel injectors will be maxed out and the engine could become lean. Engines running lean will produce greater engine heat and may cause engine damage.

Radiator Fluid - Incorrect radiator fluid to water ratio can substantially effect heat transfer so use 50/50.

Burp it! - Often times an air bubble will cause reduced coolant flow. Until I learned this trick, I would run the crap out of the engines to get the system really pumping coolant around. If you feel the radiator and it gets really hot at cap side and not so warm on the other side, you have an air pocket in the system or the water pump is not pumping enough.

How to Burp Your Trooper's Cooling System:
-Fill the fuel tank...trust me.
-Place the Joyner Trooper on an incline with the tail as high above the nose as possible. A steep drainage ditch will work. Start the engine cold with the radiator cap off and the radiator topped off with 50/50 as air bubble allow for space. Once the system is up to operating temperature, you'll need to rev the piss out of the system. If the system is pumping correctly, you will see solid stream of fluid pumping into the radiator from the hose closest to the cap. Once you can witness large volumes of coolant being pumped into the radiator, you can top off and replace cap.

Backward fan - sometimes people hook the cooling fan leads up in reverse to blow warm air into the cabin in the winter. Make sure the fan is blowing rearward.

Loose headers - may cause improper exhaust flow reducing the scavenging effect of a 4 into 1 header. Gives you a hot spot on the head causing overheating and eventual burn of the exhaust valves.

Hope this helps
Jake
Va Dune Buggy, Big Go Karts For The Big Kid In All Of Us. (http://www.VaDuneBuggy.com)

darwinpayne2000
04-12-2010, 09:45 PM
I'm not sure if burping his Joyner will fix his overheating problem, but it fixed my pickup!

I just put in a new water pump and the pickup was running hot, even after driving it for 20 miles on the freeway. I figured that would work out any air bubbles, but no luck. I parked it for the night and jumped on minibuggy.net to see what was new. As luck would have it, I saw this post and decided to give it a try.

I parked it on an incline and warmed up the engine, then I gave it a few good revs. The temperature went up, then came back down to normal and stayed put, even without adding any additional fluid to the radiator. When it cooled down, I added about two quarts to the radiator. Problem solved!

Now if someone can just post a cure for baldness . . . :D

08turbotrooper
04-14-2010, 09:02 PM
Thanks. I will give it a try this weekend.

I will let you know how I make out.

bugbite
04-15-2010, 05:39 PM
well darwin i believe the cure for baldness is to wear a cap
:p

silverbullet
06-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Hi Guys
If you need any help please email me at joyridejjj@yahoo.com.I have been playing with Joyners for years.
Thanks
Rick