PDA

View Full Version : UAA Mini Baja

uaaminibaja
04-08-2010, 05:56 PM
hello guys, this is my first post. im a student at the univ of alaska anchorage. were currently fabricating our mini baja. we need help with our steering. we got steering rods from polaris and a desertkarts rack and pinion. i either need to replace the eye bolt on the rack and pinion or find a smaller ball joint for the steering rod. one is metric, one is standard. i have looked around town and cant find anything. is there anywhere online that i can order from?

willysp
04-08-2010, 09:52 PM
hi, try with McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com) (McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/#rod-end-ball-joints/=6kujcvalso)) and also they have 24 hs customer service...
willy

minibajaman
04-08-2010, 10:46 PM
What vehicle are the tie rods from? Either way I probably wouldn't use them. Just use the outer ball joint if you need it to match your upright, then make your own tie rod. That way the inner joint can be whatever you want. What I have done with the desertkarts rack is make a clevis end for it and then just use a regular rod end on the tie rod. Or you could just weld a clevis on your tie rod, but it won't be as easy to adjust that way. Sorry I couldn't find a good pic but here you can see the tie rod and clevis end for the rack. It slides over the end of the rack and bolts through the center into the hole that the tie rods fits into. It also lengthens the rack to eliminate bumpsteer. This was an old car I worked on for Baja SAE and not my current buggy, although the rack clevis end is the same.

SCU|MotorSportDesign
02-10-2011, 06:11 PM
What vehicle are the tie rods from? Either way I probably wouldn't use them. Just use the outer ball joint if you need it to match your upright, then make your own tie rod. That way the inner joint can be whatever you want. What I have done with the desertkarts rack is make a clevis end for it and then just use a regular rod end on the tie rod. Or you could just weld a clevis on your tie rod, but it won't be as easy to adjust that way. Sorry I couldn't find a good pic but here you can see the tie rod and clevis end for the rack. It slides over the end of the rack and bolts through the center into the hole that the tie rods fits into. It also lengthens the rack to eliminate bumpsteer. This was an old car I worked on for Baja SAE and not my current buggy, although the rack clevis end is the same.

is there any reason the steering rack mounts a significant distance away from the line of the knucle's steering tie rod attachment point? I assume this is for some reason?

thanks!

minibajaman
02-10-2011, 11:23 PM
Hmm, that picture wasn't the best example of a properly built buggy. The reason we put the rack rearward of the uprights like that was two things if I remember correctly. One was it didn't fit under our feet in between the a-arms due to the way the pedals and frame were set up, and with how high the rack needed to be. The other was to generate some Ackerman geometry, since the steering control arms were less than ideal. The main downside to putting it there is that the angle between the steering control arms and tie rods becomes too close to 180 deg at full lock, which is bad for leverage.

All that said, that buggy did steer fine once it was set up, but I wouldn't recommend mounting the rack that way unless absolutely necessary.

jeiB
02-10-2011, 11:36 PM
And unless its probably braced at the ends like in the picture. In a center mounted rack, you will get slop VERY fast.