PDA

View Full Version : Rock Protection!

CarolinaRigman
03-17-2010, 08:49 PM
Is anyone looking at ways to add some sort of fenders or guards to keep those pesky rocks from scratching my helment![smilie=ext_secret.:

yoshi
03-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Is anyone looking at ways to add some sort of fenders or guards to keep those pesky rocks from scratching my helment![smilie=ext_secret.:

You could always just leave it in the garage and sit on the couch......:rolleyes:

CarolinaRigman
03-17-2010, 10:09 PM
Nah, that won't work. Then the little woman throws things at me![smilie=gun_chair.g:
Besides, I kinda like the way your buggies are made in the rear, kinda
looks like a fender.

sodman
03-18-2010, 08:51 AM
Either way I see it your helmet's going to get scratched LOL

darwinpayne2000
03-18-2010, 09:00 AM
I will be adding fenders to my buggy when I get a little further along. I've had enough mud and sand flung at me to last a lifetime. ;)

I did see one buggy where the builder had modified a set of trailer fenders. He had cut them down somewhat so they didn't look like he had just bolted a pair of trailer fenders to his buggy and they didn't look too bad.

The option I am looking at is using one of those large blue plastic water barrels as source material. They're the right diameter for the curve of the fender. A fender using a 1/3 arc from the barrel would probably be about right. You can taper the plastic material to make it look fairly natural, instead of looking like something cut out of a barrel. You would just need a frame to bolt the fender to the buggy.

The downside would be rock chips, etc. If the plastic paint chips away, then you're left with a bright blue color. If they make a large barrel in black plastic, that might work better.

minibajaman
03-18-2010, 09:04 AM
I made some fenders for the front tires on my buggy. I bolted them to the upright instead of the frame for better coverage. However, they didn't work so well. There is so much bouncing around out at the wheel, that it is very difficult to make mounts that are strong enough. I had a 1/8" 4130 steel tab crack in half, along with the 3/4x.065 4130 tubing I used. My fender was 1/8" thick HDPE. If I were to do it again I would just mount something to the main chassis, and give up some coverage.

yoshi
03-18-2010, 09:16 AM
don't get much easier than this.....

CarolinaRigman
03-18-2010, 10:45 AM
My wife really likes to get wound up and hit that turn! But she doesn't think about all the water and mud that's gonna attack when that front wheels aimed at her face when she makes that turn![smilie=alright.gif]

Bullnerd
03-18-2010, 12:33 PM
plastic fenders from newer bug.

darwinpayne2000
03-18-2010, 01:38 PM
These fenders are similar to what I had in mind. They're mounted to the frame, so that avoids some of the issues mentioned by minibajaman.

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad162/darwinpayne2000/buggy.jpg

CarolinaRigman
03-18-2010, 02:33 PM
Don't look too bad either, for a ladies buggy.
I may take a very close look at these.
Hard too tell about the fringe benifits from something this difficult to add either! Hmm...:rolleyes:

wyattboche
03-19-2010, 11:09 AM
You could always just leave it in the garage and sit on the couch......:rolleyes:yeap just leave it in the garage.

CarolinaRigman
03-19-2010, 12:19 PM
My Garage is full , I think I'd rather just hobble my way out there and get in and go.
This thread should have been put in the litter box, that's the only kind of responce I see on it today! Thanks for your advice though, I can tell your an extremely intelligent individual!:o