PDA

View Full Version : New to the SAE mini-baja

j.robinson389
03-15-2010, 09:40 PM
As this is the first year for our school to enter into the project, i'm wondering where would be a good place to get parts, and/or how these schools afford the parts, i dont think brand new parts are out of our budget,

im in the group for brakes, do you reccomend starting with parts from a production atv? or from scratch?

Thanks for all your input,
-Jake

darwinpayne2000
03-16-2010, 02:55 PM
I'm no expert on Baja builds or their requirements, but if you're brand-new to the mini buggy/baja scene then you may want to search and peruse the posts on this forum concerning brakes, hubs, etc.

Parts sources are many and varied. The biggest source for used parts, of course, is ebay. There are a ton of ATV hubs, spindles and brakes available. The hub and brake assembly from an ATV should be more than adequate for a school Baja build.

You can take a look at dansperformanceparts.com for ideas on new parts, but I believe his hubs and brakes are more suited for bigger buggies. Whoever is in charge of the driveline, however, may want to check out the CV axles available on the site.

Good luck on your build!

roosthappens
03-16-2010, 05:55 PM
I did Baja a few years ago and we made most of the parts ourselves in the machine shop we had at school. Pretty much the only thing we had to buy were the hubs and axles/ CVs. I would just make your own brakes. When you start buying a bunch of ATV parts, you end up limiting yourself by trying to build around them. When you design everything yourself, you have a lot more freedom. As far as affording everything, we went around to a lot of the local businesses and got sponsors (not big money, but every little bit helps).

Good luck! I'll be working at Baja Carolina in a few weeks.