PDA

View Full Version : buggy project on hold

Stomper
01-11-2010, 01:20 AM
Well My buggy project I was about to start is going to have to wait. I just picked up a 08 rzr cheap. The guy had flipped it and wrecked the roll cage and pushed in the front part of the front sub frame where the front a arms are attached. It will need a new cage, front and rear bumpers and have the front subframe fixed or rebuilt. I checked the main frame and it looks good. Best part is my buddy has the exact same one to take measurements from. Can't wait to pick it up on my days off.[smilie=ecstatic.gi:

Stomper
01-17-2010, 07:54 AM
ordered tube and parts. When I start the rebuild I will post pictures.

Gene
01-17-2010, 10:42 AM
This will be interesting!

Stomper
01-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Well here's where I'm at. Finally had time to work on the rzr today and pulled eveything out of the front end. I left the diff in, I can do the work with it there. The problem side is the passenger side. In one of the pictures you can see where the guy "tried" to fix it. He never straightened anything just moved the a arm mounts and when they didn't work out, he shortened the bottom a arm to try to make it work. Well, It didn't work!
The bottom part of the subframe is bent up and in. I cut the two bottom tubes and pulled the front of the frame out 3/4" to where they are supposed to be. Next I am going to remove the two bottom tubes and the upright tubes in the middle of them and replace them with new ones, and add new a arm mounts. Once that it done I will salvage the steering rack bracket and weld it back in. I will make a new mounting plate for the diff, paint it up and put her back together. End of phase one.

Then phase two, Rollbar

Here are some pictures. It took forever to load this pisture and I have more to upload. I wonder if I am doing something wrong. or is it normal to take this long

Here's photo bucket
http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/ab46/blstomper/RZR%20Rebuild/?action=view&current=RZRrebuild007.jpg&newest=1

Mopar
01-18-2010, 09:09 PM
Not to bash your plans, but coming from the mouth of someone whos delt with wadded up SXS's, i think i would go to the expense of just buying a new frame from the dealer or forum. A rhino frame usualy goes for less than 1k, i couldnt imagine a polaris could be that much more... I think yould have more than that in materials and time spent patching your frame IMO, Not to say that i cant be done, but do your really want to risk a bum weld in the dunes going 50+?

Stomper
01-18-2010, 09:52 PM
Yeah I thought about a new frame. The parts that I am repairing will be stronger that the original, Not much meat on the original tube:eek:. Its only four tubes less than 18" in length, and I have no issues with the strength of my welds. One more day and the front Should be going back together. If it doesn't work out I will look at a new frame, But I really don't think that I will have to.Knock on wood:(

Stomper
01-21-2010, 04:57 PM
Well, with a lot of measuring and figuring and more measuring, the frame looks worse than I first thought. So I am going to purchase a new one. Then I know everything is good. But thats ok I had bought it with that possibility in mind. Even with the new frame I am only into it for $3100

Stomper
02-02-2010, 10:10 AM
Well, today is the day. I finally picked up my new frame today, along with a few plastic body parts. I will be starting to swap parts tonight. Unfortunatly I am in the middle of my work week and I am leaving town for my days off, so progress at the start will be slow #@$%&%*&. But I will be spending every waking second in the shop. I will keep updates and pictures as I progress for those that are interested

Odyknuck
02-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Sounds like you made out just fine.

Stomper
02-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Yeah, I think I did. I have been wanting one since they come out. I am still going to build the buggy because I think it would be cool to build something from scratch. But now I will have a 4x4 sidexside. I guess the next thing I will have to build is a bigger shop to store all this stuff.

sodman
02-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Stomper It's funny how one thing leads to another bad luck on the frame but at least you know now what you've got . Is it going to be a big job to change the frame over or is it just to find time to do it kinda job. Post up some pics pictures say a thousand words. Good luck on the rebuild

Stomper
02-02-2010, 05:24 PM
It does'nt look to be that bad at all If I could get at it steady I could probably get most of it done in one day and probably driving the second. I have most of it apart on the old frame right now and that only took a couple hours, although we all know that putting it back together is a different story;) On a rzr forum there was a guy that said that he was not very mechanicaly inclined and from the start of tear down to the first test drive, he had put in about 18 hours of work. But I have to fab up a new roll bar and bumpers, which won't take too long, but i'm still waiting for my tube order to arrive. Then powder coat. So to complete the project may be awhile. If I have my way I would take holidays and lock myself in the shop with a good supply of refreshments and not come out till I was done, But I think my wife will have a different idea:mad:

Stomper
02-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Well, got 6 hours of work on it last night and thing went really good. Did complete tear down of the old frame and installed everything that we remove into the new frame. The only stuff left is the rear and front suspension, steering rack, rad, bleed the brake system, and the plastic. And of course the roll cage, when my tube gets here. I would say with out the fabrication of the roll cage, it would take another 6 hours and it would be done. Especialy if we get another night like we did last night. here are some pictures, they are not in any particular order. You will have to read the caption. I am very happy with the way things went.:D

http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/ab46/blstomper/rzr%20frame%20swap/?albumview=slideshow

MyAbusa
02-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Stomper,
Great looking project! Sounds like you made out like a bandit on that rzr. I did basically the same thing, purchased a wrecked RZR S & then replaced the frame, cage & many other broken bitts. I was very suprised @ how easy these things are to work on & once you have the parts they seem to go together very quickly. Anyhow, nice job & keep us posted.

Stomper
02-03-2010, 05:40 PM
Thanks. Yeah there realy isn't much to them. First time I had stripped anything down to the frame so I didn't know what to extect. It went very well and I can't wait to get at the rest. It did help to have my buddies rzr there for reference because there was a lot of stuff taken off in such a short time that you forget where some of it goes.

sodman
02-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Hey congrats on starting to get it back together you were saying about remembering where everything goes would have nothing to do about the refreshments would it just wondering??? Looking good keep the pics coming

Stomper
02-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Sodman, It may have had something to do with the refreshments because every time I went for a sip my glass seemed to be empty. LOL:rolleyes:

didnt do anything on the rzr for the last couple of days as I was away on a family ski trip. My little girl is 4 and very small for her age. it was the first time she had ever been on skis and by the end of the day she was skiing full runs standing up by herself. Of course I had a harness on her to keep her going slow, but she was skiing. If she got off course I just told her which way to turn and she would turn. I would have never guessed it by the first few runs we had. We had her go into lessons and I think it paid off.
Well, I was out in the shop within a couple of hours of returning from my ski trip last night. My buddy called and wanted to come help. I think he's just as excited or maybe even more (I highly doubt more)excited than I am to get this thing going.LOL. We put another 5 hours into it and it is done to the point where I just have to finnish making the roll bar and put the skid plate back on. There was a lot more pissing around with the plastic than I thought there would be, so it ate up some time. So far I have about 12.5 hours into it. Before I start driving it I am going to change all the fluids in it and start fresh and replace the rear a arms(drivers is slightly bent), when they get here. I just put the old ones back on so I could get it off the jack stands and move it around my shop. I never had my camera unpacked last night so I will get pictures today.

Stomper
02-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Here's a link to some pictures. This is the final product minus the roll bar. It will be built in the next couple days. Hopefully.

http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/ab46/blstomper/rzr%20frame%20swap/?action=view&current=c5116e09.pbw&t=1265673873

sodman
02-09-2010, 01:57 PM
Ya Stomper the Rzr is looking good. Going with your own design on the roll bar?. As per the refreshments you've got to be carefull because I find it will evaporate on you if your not carefull I find a cover sometime helps with evaporation factor HA HA. Good luck on the rebuild.
Later Sodman

Stomper
02-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Sodman, Thanks for the compliments. I agree with you on the evaporation thing.LOL. As for the roll bar, I have the original polaris plastic roof cover that I want to use again, so the roll bar will be similar to stock. I have seen some modified stock roll bars that look quite nice where they lowered the rear of it so it doesn't have such an angle to it and it looks realy good. That way I can still use the stock roof cover. I will also take some extra bars back to the rear bumber that I plan to build. If what I have planned out for the bumper works, it will completly outline the rear tail lights and give a taller box rail. It's hard to explain but I have it in my head. I will have to draw it up in bend tech and see if it can be done. I will add pictures when I when I get something worth while.

Stomper
02-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Here's where I'm at so far.

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab46/blstomper/rzr%20frame%20swap/RZRframeswap013.jpg

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab46/blstomper/rzr%20frame%20swap/RZRframeswap011.jpg

Stomper
02-12-2010, 01:00 AM
:mad:Still wating on tube:mad:

sodman
02-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Stomper how's it going it sucks when stuff doesn't come in when they say it it will . I read in a few posts back that you have bend tech software. just wondering do you use it a lot or is it just handy to have. I've only built one buggy that was from Bad Lands I don't think that I could build one from scratch just yet I would like to get at least one build under my belt ( my wife better not see this ) before I would try to go at from the ground up. looking good so far post up some more pics when the tubes come in
Later Sodman

Stomper
02-12-2010, 07:02 PM
I have actually had my bender and bendtech for about three years now. This is actualy my first real project of any size. I have built small projects that I have drawn up in bt and I am amazed at how acurate the software is. Personally I wouldn't know where to start to build a tube project with out it. It is sooo cool, and I probably don't know half of what it can do. I have been gathering info and parts for the past three years on my future build and I was actually in the middle of my engine mock up to see how much room I was going to need in my engine compartment, when I came accross this RZR. Once it is done I will be back on the buggy. My tube order will be sent out on Monday. That order will have all my tube for my buggy also. Once I get the engine mocked up I can place my laser cut order too. The only thing that I need to complete my buggy is shocks, gas/brake pedals, steering rack, fuel tank(will make a custom one) everything else I have. I don't have alot of extra cash at the end of the day to spend on buying parts for my buggy:(, thats why it has taken three years to get to this point and I didn't want to start untill I had most of the parts because I didn't want to come to a hault because of no cash for parts. Since I have done this RZR rebuild it's got me even more excited a[smilie=ecstatic.gi:bout my buggy build.
The way I look at it you gotta start somewhere and with the knowledge that i have learned from this site and the knowledge of the members of this site, I will make out alright. It won't be perfect but it will be all mine from the ground up. And that will be something to be proud of.
Sodman, thanks for the intrest in my project. I will post pictures as progress poceeds.

Stomper

BTW, I couldn't wait any longer and I took the RZR for a spin up and down the street today. It was soooooo fun[smilie=ecstatic.gi:

sodman
02-24-2010, 04:23 AM
Stomper any progress or still waiting on your steel order? So couldn't wait untill it was done to take for a drive HUH . I hear ya ,there comes a point when you say close enough I'm taking this thing for a blast
Congrats on the first run Sodman

Stomper
02-25-2010, 04:47 PM
Just recieved my tube on friday, but went out of town and just got back last night and I'm back to work today for four days:mad::mad::mad:. This is torture. I will be in the shop as soon as I can and will post pictures as they come.

sodman
02-25-2010, 05:01 PM
Ya it's a bummer that work always gets in the way but if it wasn't for work there would not many buggies built or anything done that is fun. Oh well by the way I'm holding the winning ticket for LOTTO MAX tomorrow 50 mill wouldn't it be sweet. I guess I'd better get back to work
Later Sodman

Stomper
03-02-2010, 11:25 PM
Well I finally got some quality RZR time and this is what I have come up with so far. It's just tacked together. I will be adding some more bracing, seat belt tabs and a front bumper, but it's the basic design. I still have to add some bracing to the bumper where the box rails attach. I have also purchased some new rims, tires, lift kit, windsheild and wheel spacers but I have yet to put them on.
If you have any pointers or ideas please feel free to explain.

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab46/blstomper/RZR%20Rebuild/RZRframeswap017.jpg

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab46/blstomper/RZR%20Rebuild/RZRframeswap018.jpg

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab46/blstomper/RZR%20Rebuild/RZRframeswap019.jpg

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab46/blstomper/RZR%20Rebuild/RZRframeswap020.jpg

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab46/blstomper/RZR%20Rebuild/RZRframeswap021.jpg

Stomper
03-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Well this is the final result. I added some bracing to the rear bumper, some grab handles and seat belt mount tabs. Just have to weld it up and powder coat. Oh and build a front bumper similar to the rear.

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab46/blstomper/RZR%20Rebuild/RZRframeswap025.jpg

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab46/blstomper/RZR%20Rebuild/RZRframeswap024.jpg

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab46/blstomper/RZR%20Rebuild/RZRframeswap023.jpg

sodman
03-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Nice job on the cage and bumper ,Stomper "I can't beileve I just wrote that " Sticking with black for a color or something different . I've never looked into it but is powder coating very expensive , there's been a few threads indicating that is fairly reasonable . See You've still got some of that white stuff still kicking around out west we got off real easy this winter plowed our yard twice that's it no more than 30 cm all winter now we'll get crapy weather untill June Likely
Later Sodman

Stomper
03-04-2010, 01:32 PM
The rims that I bought are polished aluminum so I am going to go with silver. It will also match the decals. I think too much black does'nt look good. The guy that is going to do the powder coat for me is a friend and he said that he could do everything including the front bumper for $200. It doesn't even pay for me to paint it for that price.

Stomper
03-15-2010, 06:31 PM
Well, my cage and rear bumper go to powder coat tomorrow. I added a couple more cross braces in the area behind the seat . I also welded some tabs in there for the headache rack that I am going to build. It is going to be a spider web design. The cage and bumper will be powder coated black and the web will be either red to match the plastic or silver to match the decals. When I get it all done I will post the finished product.

Stomper
03-20-2010, 04:56 PM
Well, It's back from powder coat. It took some time but I'm very happy with the out come. All thats left is the front bumper and it is in the works.

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab46/blstomper/RZR%20Rebuild/RZRframeswap038.jpg

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab46/blstomper/RZR%20Rebuild/RZRframeswap037.jpg

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab46/blstomper/RZR%20Rebuild/RZRframeswap036.jpg
http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab46/blstomper/RZR%20Rebuild/RZRframeswap035.jpg

sodman
03-21-2010, 05:49 PM
Hey man looking good I see you went with the black insead of the silver. Is the front bumper done just waiting to get back from powder coating, or does it needs to be built. Well it looks like it's mobile what do think of it I seen them running never been in one but they seem to have a lot get up and go. See you still have some of that white stuff on the ground we've just had spring for the last 2 weeks plus 20 yesterday hell the grass is starting to get green it'll come to halt here any day.
Congrats on getting it back together Sodman

Stomper
03-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Yeah I decided to go with black. I looked on the net and decided that the black would look better. I have to build the front bumper yet. I am going to build it so the winch can be mounted on it. Where the winch is originally installed is under the hood area and fairly low, if the front wheels are 3/4 of the way in the mud, so is the winch. Seems kinda stupid to me. It is alot of fun, just been riding on the streets and some on the lake. Even with 6 inches of snow still on the lake I can get 50mph out of it.[smilie=ecstatic.gi:

Gene
03-21-2010, 09:55 PM
Nice RZR!

Is the windshield off-the-shelf or custom?

Cage looks great. Looking forward to the front bumper and winch!

nitris223
03-22-2010, 01:07 AM
On my atv I actually like my winch mounted lower. I find being lower it tends to help pull upwards out of the mud. When the winch is mounted high you tend to get pulled straight forward and some times down making it harder. I know it sucks when the winch is under mud but that's part of the fun. We tested this a couple of years back with my Arctic Cat and a friends Polaris. We had the same guy hook up to us a anchor point and I would get pulled up on top of the mud while the Polaris was pulled through the mud. I always try and hook up higher in a tree if I can when I am winching out.

Stomper
03-22-2010, 11:08 AM
Gene, the windsheild is the stock rzr one.
Nitris123, I hear you on the winch mounted lower, but I refuse to kneel in the mud and reach under the machine to operate the freespool. My quad winch is mounted on the bumper and I have had no issues with it, although it is lighter than my rzr.
I read in my maintenance manual about throttle freeplay. I took out 3/8ths of an inch of freeplay. I could reach 56 mph before. Looking forward to giving it a test run now.

litespeed
03-22-2010, 07:49 PM
Cool cage. I think I seen this on the RZR board or somewhere else???

I'm procrastinating on my front bumper too. I just haven't made up my mind 100% but leaning toward a true Pre-runner or desert style.

Tom

Stomper
03-23-2010, 08:47 AM
Yeah, I also have a build log on rzrforums.net. This is something like what I am going to build for a front bumper so I can install my winch on it. It also looks mean:D
RZR Extreme Front Bumper (http://www.extrememetalproducts.com/popup_image.php?pID=215&image=4&osCsid=8950db9a8ab5ce0a08d75a8d80bff781)

nitris223
03-23-2010, 10:02 AM
Stomper What are you running for winch cable. Steel or synthetic. I bought 1000 feet of the synthetic stuff last year to make up some 50 ft atv packages. Exact same stuff WARN uses without the cost.

Stomper
03-23-2010, 01:34 PM
I have'nt actualy bought the winch yet but the one I am going to buy has steel cable.