PDA

View Full Version : Rearend geometry

CarolinaRigman
12-19-2009, 07:07 AM
Hey! I'm adding a trailing bar to my bearing retainer with heim joints.
whats the best angle or connectin points?[smilie=dunno.gif]

Bugpac
12-19-2009, 07:23 AM
What are you talking about, adding a extra link to a arms?

CarolinaRigman
12-19-2009, 08:56 AM
I'm trying to stabilize my 4 arm from the sitting are of the cage to my rear bearing retainers.
Doe tht make any sense?:confused:

K-fab
12-19-2009, 09:22 AM
Okay, so do you have any rear suspension?

Take a picture and then draw on it with Paint showing what you're trying to do, if you can.

If you don't have any suspension, then a 45 degree angle would be the best.

nutz4sand
12-19-2009, 11:07 AM
I think he means one of these rods. There is not a majic angle. It will be different angle and length rod for each ride. Unless you got a Cuda or Pirahna then a couple guys here can help a "tad" (lol). But if its your own design it will take some figuring out to find the spots.

Are you sure you have enough rim offset to clear it on the hub if its a rod like this? Would bite to find out after installing the rim hits it.

CarolinaRigman
12-19-2009, 11:24 AM
YEAH!!
That's what I'm talkin' bout!!
Thanks NUTZ!!

I guess It's a trial and error thing?[smilie=alright.gif]

nutz4sand
12-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Trail and error or SERIOUS mad math skills.

Talk to RickS and Doug Heim as they both due these.

There is a VERY in depth thread on this on this site but the name escapes me at this second. I will search for it.

nutz4sand
12-19-2009, 12:48 PM
http://www.minibuggy.net/forum/projects-progress/6103-rick-s-rc51-piranha-build.html

If you got the idea from that thread then of course you know about it. If not it should help enlighten you and ask a question or two of the people in it for more.

nutz4sand
12-19-2009, 01:04 PM
http://www.minibuggy.net/forum/suspension-wheels-tires/7241-rear-suspension-link.html

And another link on it. Good stuff to read if you be wanting to do such a addition to your ride.

RickS.
12-19-2009, 01:08 PM
Draw up a 2D (to scale) view of the suspension arms and bearing retainer looking from the rear of the buggy. Pick out a point on your bearing retainer to represent the rod end ball. (somewhere between the upper and lower a arm pivots.) Now show the arms and this point in three positions. (full droop, midway, and full bump.) draw an arc connecting the three points. The center point of this radii is the forward location of the rod end ball. The length of the rod can be as long as you want. (longer is better) The seat will probably limit the length of the rod.
Moving the rod end up on the bearing retainer will raise the forward point.
Moving it out on the retainer will move the forward point out. etc.
you'll probably make a few drawings before you get it where you want it.
Every time you pick out a new position on the bearing retainer you need to retrack the points to find the forward mount point.
And like nutz said, watch the rim offset too.

CarolinaRigman
12-19-2009, 03:14 PM
Thank a lot! I'll look at the link Nutz supplied and look for that thread!!:(

nutz4sand
12-19-2009, 03:23 PM
The links are now both there on page 1. Listen to RickS as hes a pioneer of it and can help you with it.

The one link has a LOT of bickering in from those who cannot see it. Ah well. It took me a bit to see but makes sense now.

CarolinaRigman
12-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Yep, I went through those post and foud the arm layout is very simular.
I had ran across it in u-tube when he took it home.[smilie=sign_l33t.g: