PDA

View Full Version : R1 vs Apex

ALWX65
11-03-2009, 05:54 AM
Just wondering what everyone thought of this. I would like this not to turn into a "my daddy can beat up your daddy" conversation, please. I was just wondering what the pros and cons were between the two.

ALW

nutz4sand
11-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Did you mean RX1 vs Apex?

I may be wrong but what I "think" I know is the RX1 is a four cylinder VS the Apex a three.

The RX1's I have seen are carbed and the Apex is fuel injected.

SO if your not FI savy the RX1 might be better for you with carbs.

The three cylinder Apex would be one less exhaust pipe to fab.

FI is nice if you can work with it.

I would GUESS the Apex is a tad lighter BUT DO NOT KNOW THIS! Have to research it.

Either is good if you find a deal on one. I would not pass up either given a shot at either one.

Akpilot
11-03-2009, 11:54 AM
ALWX65,

It basically comes down to: do I want to shift or not. They are basically the same motor, except the R1 motorcycle engine is more advanced. Not sure what Genisis number it is on but the Apex is on only number 2 or 3. but basically the same motor only one with a transmission and one with a PTO to CVT.

Nutz,
The three cylinder motor is a Nytro motor and totally different than the Apex/R1 motor. The Apex motor took the place of the RX1 motor in sleds, carbs vs EFI. The Nytro/Vector motors is a sled specific 4 valve motor and spins at a clutch friendly 8000 RPM, where as the Apex, derived from a motorcycle, needs a PTO reducer to get down to 8000 RPM. Your right the three cylinder motor is lighter and smaller to fit into the newer rider forward chassis. Hp number between the two: Nytro 1050cc at 130HP and the Apex is 1000cc at 150HP. BTW the Apex sounds way better[smilie=ecstatic.gi:

Wayne

nutz4sand
11-03-2009, 12:02 PM
K.. My bad. I thought the Apex was a three banger too. Doh!

ALWX65
11-03-2009, 01:30 PM
AK, I agree with the shifting thing. Some would say lazy people dont shift but I for one think not shifting has HUGE advantages. Now some will argue this as well but thats OK too. You may not have the instant low end hit in the Apex as you could with the R1 but sometimes that would be an advatage too. I think the biggest difference is in the availability of good used bikes/sleds. I think you would have better luck finding bikes at a better price. I for one would go the Apex route. Plus Im sure there are some sled shops out there that could help make even more power out of the Apex. Just some thoughts ....

ALW

Akpilot
11-03-2009, 01:56 PM
ALWZ65,

You can have instant hit out of a CVT if you gear it for that and have the clutches set up right. I LIKE the CVT! How I have my FL800 set up is great, but it lacks on the top end because I have it set for low end out of the hole/wheelies and the only time I want to go over 70MPH (where mine is at is now), is when a bike/quad/sand rail can pull another gear and run me down on top end.

YouTube - Akpilot1's Channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/Akpilot1#p/u/4/f6glJSL4Trg)

Your right bikes are much more plentiful as they are wrecked by young wipersnapers, but sleds are also driven by these same whipersnapers and you can find them through insurance auctions. This is where I got my Apex (originally for a buggy motor but fixed sled untill I need it) and Nytro motor for my current project. As far as power out of either of these motors the sky is the limit both do well under Turboing or Supercharging, plenty of Youtube videos of these sleds.

My personal opinion is CVT for small areas like woods, short course racing or just messing around, but if you want to go topspeed then go bike motor, busa or ZX14.

Wayne

Rat4020
11-04-2009, 07:15 AM
I put a 08 apex motor in my Taz car& it works very well.The cvt trans is nice when ya get into tight riding spots.;)