PDA

View Full Version : Est. cost to build a custom side by side

mlchris2
10-14-2009, 01:38 PM
I want to get your opinions....

Could someone build something simlar in size to a RZR or Rhino , powered by a R1 or Rotax motor? I got a quote from my local dealership and I can be out the door on a RZR S at $16K

yoshi
10-14-2009, 02:47 PM
I want to get your opinions....

Could someone build something simlar in size to a RZR or Rhino , powered by a R1 or Rotax motor? I got a quote from my local dealership and I can be out the door on a RZR S at $16K

That's for a stock razr. Are you gonna widen it up at all? I'm offering a busa powered SXS as a frame kit, roller or a turnkey car, but it's gonna be 70" wide (same as a long travel rhino)..

mlchris2
10-14-2009, 03:00 PM
I was thinking of building something around 70" WB. I know the RZR S has a WB of 70".

Yoshi,

Let me clarify, Rather than buying a Razr/Rhino and modding it out...Could I build a R1/Rotax powered SxS for under $16K?

lumberjack
10-14-2009, 04:54 PM
It depends on how you value your time and how many parts you buy vs fabricate.

For $16k, I could build one helluva SXS for myself.

yummi
10-14-2009, 04:57 PM
There is a r1 project for sale on this board?

standfast
10-15-2009, 07:15 AM
My buddy just bought a brand new 2010 RZR S for $14k cash from a dealer out the door. And no, you will not build anything that will look as good or work as well for $13k. You are already losing the 4wd capability right off the bat. The suspension on the RZR S is dialed in pretty well from the factory so that alone is gonna save a lot of time and money. Plus you have parts that are available off the shelf from Polaris or many aftermarket companies. Plus all the bugs are worked out from the start. All you really need to add is a roll cage since the factory ones are a joke. Yes you will not be able go any faster than 65mph but there isn't many areas that you will be getting a 70" wide car with ATV tires on it above 65mph for extended periods of time so that isn't really a big deal. The 4wd will make it much more versatile and practical than some MC powered RWD car. You could go to the dunes, desert, mountain roads while camping and so on with the reliability of a factory built vehicle and anyone can drive it anywhere. My wife and friends GF hopped in my buddies RZR S and went cruising up massive hills with no skill required and maintaining a safe speed and little throttle. No way in hell she is going the same places driving my MC powered car. I could drive my car almost anywhere but it takes much more skill and effort. There isn't a single MC powered buggy built that is going to match the reliability. Hate to say that but it's true. Unless you want to straight haul arse in the desert or the dunes, I would just get a RZR S. Not a Teryx, not a rhino, a RZR S. The rest of them ride like crap and just more money and modification to make them work well. Much better to spend the little bit more for the RZR S.

Blownz28man
10-15-2009, 07:30 AM
If you built most of it yourself you should be able to build it for a few thousand under 15k... Its all the nickle and dime stuff that will get $$$$. As far as reliabilty.. You'll break a bunch of stuff till you get everything worked out. But I must agree... Going fast in a narrow car with low wheel base isn't on my list of things to do. Sure you can make it through some sticky situations with a 2wd... But once again speed will have to come into play. Don't get me wrong... mp sxs's look like fun... But I think there would be more motor there than you want to use.

wyattboche
10-23-2009, 11:14 AM
That's for a stock razr. Are you gonna widen it up at all? I'm offering a busa powered SXS as a frame kit, roller or a turnkey car, but it's gonna be 70" wide (same as a long travel rhino)..
Yoshi got a price?

diirk
10-23-2009, 01:41 PM
The RZR-S is probably the fastest, but I'm personally not a big fan. At 6'3" I feel very cramped in one. I'm much happier in my Rhino, which handles extremely, without LT. Anyhow, for $15k, you can pick up a used Ridge Runner, that'll whoop a RZR-S and have a much better ride, though no 4x4. Still, I could make it up hills in the RR that the Rhino can't even come close to.

yoshi
10-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Yoshi got a price?

SXS pricing is on the right of my pricing page..

Sinister Sand Sports - Sand Rails and Buggy's SPECS (http://www.sinistersandsports.com/pricing.html)

Wild Earp
10-30-2009, 12:06 PM
You can do a custom Rhino with a R1 for less than $15k, if you shop around. Used rhino with long travel and cage already done, sell off the parts you dont use, and do the Weller Racing SR1 kit with a 02-08 R1 used of ebay. Theres a 2 seat long travel rhino for sale right now on rhinoforums.net, with no motor or drive train, built on a brand new 08 frame for $6500, ready for a R1 swap.

mlchris2
11-13-2009, 09:07 AM
Thanks everybody. I have been away (hunting season) and haven't had a chance to respond.

I really don't know what I want to do yet. To many options. I know I def want something similar to a SxS, don't really need 4x4 (it would be nice at times)... don't know if I need a R1/GXSR either (would be nice on the dunes and in the desert but not necessary in the woods or trails, per say). GRRRR :confused:

I finally got some money saved up and now i need to decide where to spend it. Why is that decision so damn hard? ;)

I will check out the RR a little more. I know there are manufact here in Idaho... might have to take a drive and test em out.

thanks again guys. I may be back with more questions and advice.

ProtoDie
11-20-2009, 09:07 PM
Our last 2 seat build had 15K in just materials,,,no labor
keep scrolling on the link,,,,it is a long page

New Page 1 (http://www.protodie.com/ProtoLite%20SS%20design.htm)

2500 motor, 2200 reverse gear box, 900ish shocks,,,,and then all the other stuff.

It comes down to what parts , and the quality you want / budget for your build.

IMO you will get much more satisfaction and pride from the learning curves of building/ researching and building one yourself.
Not to mention that it would blow the doors off a RZR.

Gene
11-20-2009, 09:55 PM
Tough question. I see ridiculous amounts of money invested in SXS and MC powered SXS cars.

Maybe look for a Rhino with long travel and install a Weller Racing R1 kit. Have the best of both. Use if during hinting season and at Choke Cherry.

Just an idea.