PDA

View Full Version : Bead roll or not

buggito
10-02-2009, 09:16 AM
I'm going to use aluminum tubing for the buggy and the car , yes the motor is running , ecotec 2.2, and wonder if I should use bead, I do not have a bead roller and can't find a person who have one .

I wonder if it's really necessary since I plan to use two hose clamps at 180 degree the hose of the buggy are 1" and the car are 1.250.

Gene
10-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Buggito,
I'm confused by your post. Can you try again and explain what you are doing with the aluminum tubing and bead roller. Normally I think of a bead roller being used with aluminum panels.

buggito
10-02-2009, 09:29 AM
I wish to create a bead at the end of the tube to insure the rubber hose will not slip out

buggito
10-02-2009, 09:30 AM
And I wonder if it really need to

Gene
10-02-2009, 09:34 AM
Probably not absolutely necessary but if you ha a bead roller or access to one I would do it.

I'm not using it on an in-line tee and its been ok so far.

arrowhead
10-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Sorry but it is absolutely necessary!

I have a huge burn scar on my right calf when I was helping someone make their car run right and had no idea thet there was no roll on the rad hose and it blew like a geyser and burnt off 1/4 inch of meat. OUCH

My bead roller won't roll that small so I always TIG a bead. ALWAYS

Imagine that getting the back of your neck

Dale

Gene
10-02-2009, 10:09 AM
So do it then! Now I'll have to pull mine apart to see if it is or isn't beaded.

buggito
10-02-2009, 10:49 AM
But here is the trick question , what kind os pressure he was running, I will use 16lbs, and how many hose clamp, two are the safest, now I agree with you bead are the best, but in the car, if they fail the street will be burn hahah.
How did you tig well it, just a small bead, my tubing is only 058 thick.

minibajaman
10-02-2009, 10:59 AM
Don't risk it, make a bead of some kind either with a roller or TIG welder. I'm pretty sure harbor freight has a cheap bead roller but can't find it on their web site right now.

LiveWire
10-02-2009, 11:21 AM
On the small tubes, I think it is done by compressing the end. The radiators I have made for the FL350s have a bead made into the 5/8" OD tubes that I believe are made that way. I would imagine it would be done something like the way you would do a bubble flare or the first stage of a double flare on brake lines.

MC@ Performance Fab
10-02-2009, 05:16 PM
If you send tubes I can do.

Damien
10-05-2009, 03:15 PM
you can buy beaders that fit inside the tube and make a bead, but they are tube size specific. You may be able to get someone who has the capability to bead some spare aluminum tubing then you can weld it to your U-bends when you are making the lines. shops that make aluminum radiators must have beaded inlet and outlet tubes sitting around by the dozen

I have also done a tig bead around and it works fine, just not as clean as a bead.

jumpin jellybean
10-05-2009, 03:28 PM
[smilie=alright.gif]yes do some type of bead roll hot coolant down butt crack from blown off hose was quite interisting[smilie=alright.gif]:eek:picture dog on floor full speed ahead[smilie=ecstatic.gi:

bdkw1
10-05-2009, 05:13 PM
If you send tubes I can do.

Hey Monte, I don't need a bead roller, but can I come use your shear?

standfast
10-06-2009, 05:41 AM
Bead Form Tools by Kramer Metal Fab, Inc. 1-800-919-3676 (http://www.beadform.com/)

I use to have one of these when I was building turbo setups for people. Someone wanted it and I wasn't using it anymore so I sold it.

Now I will just make 4 tack welds with the TIG on the end of the tube. This is plenty to keep the clamp from slipping off. You don't need to weld a full bead all the way around.

MC@ Performance Fab
10-06-2009, 07:29 PM
No problem on the shear.