PDA

View Full Version : Rorty shotgun sources?

powersmiths
07-17-2009, 08:06 AM
I ordered a set of the rorty shotgun plans and sent the drawings out to get the flat plate work cut. the shop I tried to get to do the work was unable to get the correct drawings so we can get the work done. I know others have built these buggies who did you go to, to get the flat plate work cut out?

Bugpac
07-17-2009, 08:10 AM
They have a monopoly now with Kludge, you either have to buy from him or draw all the pieces from the plans in dxf.. I would Dxf the drawings if someone needed that done for them...

powersmiths
07-17-2009, 09:03 AM
they sent me DXF files but no flat plate drawings or dimensions pretty hard to do. This sucks. I first ordered plans from Team Moto they wouldn't send dimensions for the bends. Now Rorty designs wont send flat plate designs. So much for buying plans you can actually build from. Does anyone actually send out plans you can build a buggy from?

Gene
07-17-2009, 09:11 AM
Do you mean flat plate drawings like this one included with the R11? The front end is the same as the Shotgun I believe.

I deleted some information from the drawing so I don't cross the line with copyright information.

powersmiths
07-17-2009, 09:54 AM
yes that is one of the pieces I am looking for. I paid for the license from Rorty. I also need the rest of the flat plate stuff. Front spindles and steering column brackets. I paid for this info and haven't gotten it.

standfast
07-17-2009, 10:17 AM
I don't get it, if you have DXF's that should be all you waterjet/laser cutter needs. Or do you not have the DXF's for the flat parts and only for others. Did you send Rorty an email? He is usually quick to respond and get you what you need.

dunerocket
07-17-2009, 11:15 AM
I'm pretty sure starting with the Shotgun II that he is no longer sending DXF files. Kludge is the only source, unless that changed.

jsbm
07-17-2009, 11:20 AM
This is from Rorty's web sight. It is not in the plans section, but in the whats new.

All the custom laser-cut parts and machined parts are now offered for purchase from the one source, thus making the builds simpler and quicker. In light of the available parts, DXF files are no longer available for the R11 and R16.
Both the R11 and R16 now use Tatum front hubs and brakes.

If you look at the comparison chart it states that the r11 r16 and r21 are build B.

Build:
A Full DIY
B Kits/parts available

Out of the three the r21 is the only one that has this disclaimer.

NOTE: The R21 Solo cannot be built from just the manual alone no matter how well equipped your shop is! The purchase of some proprietary parts is essential to complete the R21.

I'm not bashing Rorty cuz all the info is there, I just feel it should be made a little more easy to find.

furtelli
07-17-2009, 01:33 PM
I ordered mine through Kludge.

powersmiths
07-17-2009, 01:35 PM
I don't get it, if you have DXF's that should be all you waterjet/laser cutter needs. Or do you not have the DXF's for the flat parts and only for others. Did you send Rorty an email? He is usually quick to respond and get you what you need.

I did send rorty an email. They were very reluctant to give me the DXF file. But the DXF file they sent me had everything in isometric view. No Flat sheets and no dimensions. No VALUE. The web link they sent me to get the parts from had no web site available. I don't mean to cause problems I just want to build a buggy this summer with my son. It is starting to feel like the same experice I got with Team MOTO.

powersmiths
07-17-2009, 01:36 PM
how do I get ahold of Kludge?

standfast
07-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Send him a PM. He is on here. It will probably save you the chance of making a mistake if you get them from him. His price is probably pretty reasonable I would guess anyway.

XRH348
07-17-2009, 01:48 PM
MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community - View Profile: Kludge (http://www.minibuggy.net/forum/members/kludge.html)

Bugpac
07-17-2009, 03:08 PM
Still, the question lyes, how do you market plans without full dimensions?

standfast
07-17-2009, 03:10 PM
Still, the question lyes, how do you market plans without full dimensions?

I am sure the dimensions on the chassis and everything else are there. Just not on the platework since it come finished from Kludge? Thats the impression that I get.

Bugpac
07-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Oh, i am getting the impression if you want the plate work you have to buy it from kludge, there is no plate work dimensions for guys that have means to cut it themselves...

dunerocket
07-17-2009, 03:53 PM
It's pretty much like listing other supplier part numbers. There aren't dimensions to make them, just go buy the indicated part numbers.

Bugpac
07-17-2009, 04:13 PM
Yes, but indicated parts are available from many dealers and suppliers, It is like GM telling you you have to use mobil gas and penzoil...

XRH348
07-17-2009, 04:22 PM
I bought the front upright kit from Kludge, the kit was fine and the price much less than I could have them cut locally. I had contacted Rorty about the DXF files, he directed me to Kludge. So as I was able to get the bits from Kludge, I wasn't bothered much about Rorty not sending them to me.

dunerocket
07-17-2009, 07:00 PM
Maybe that's why they went bankrupt?

XRH348
07-17-2009, 07:13 PM
you say "they" are bankrupt. Have you pm'd Kludge? to see if he still supplies the parts. if he doesn't, then that is an unfortunate turn of events.

Gene
07-17-2009, 07:42 PM
Neither Rorty or Kludge went bankrupt. Kludge is just beginning mini buggy supply and Rorty is well established.

Bullnerd
I think he means GM

Gene
Yes, that makes sense Bull.

XRH348
07-17-2009, 08:13 PM
aah, OK,
so Kludge and Rorty are fine, I didnt realise he meant General Motors.

Bugpac
07-17-2009, 08:42 PM
All i am gonna ad, Is The Edge sells build able plans with all the dimensions :)

rowycoracing
07-17-2009, 08:44 PM
What is the Kludge web site?

Deranged
07-17-2009, 09:10 PM
I am lucky enough to have a water jet @ work, and programed most of the parts, but the uprights are tricky.

dunerocket
07-17-2009, 09:14 PM
Yeah, I was referring to GM. [smilie=poked.gif]

1bad67
08-18-2009, 04:18 PM
So, can we make the parts ourselves? or is there not enough information in the plans set? If there are dimensioned drawings, that is all that is needed. An electronic file is nice, but not required.

Eric

dunerocket
08-18-2009, 06:20 PM
As of the Shotgun II I do not believe all the dimensional information is there. There were also missing dims on the Shotgun plans for the plate work.

Raptoryan
08-18-2009, 07:13 PM
That seems like bad buisness ethics to me. I have no info on either but, if its that hard to build from their plans and people see this they will steer clear of them. Just my .02 cents[smilie=dunno.gif]

Gene
08-18-2009, 07:21 PM
You can obtain the precise information from Rorty. He prefers to utlize Kludge to distribute parts that can get cut in quantity and save you money - plus he protects copyright information in his plans.

Apparently he's had some problems with intellectual theft and is trying to protect his property. If that seems like bad ethics to anyone please consider what I said.

You can get the information. Kludge sells cut parts. Rorty's been ripped off. Best plans you can get.

dunerocket
08-18-2009, 07:26 PM
The plans are very good, and Kludge's prices were also pretty good.

Raptoryan
08-18-2009, 08:09 PM
I know nothing about him or his company so I can only go by what is said. If you have to contact him directly to get other things it might be good in a way because you will have more of a personal level to talk with him not just another internet sale.

furtelli
08-18-2009, 08:25 PM
I am building a shotgun, and received good service from both Klugde and Rorty. they were quick to answer any questions I had, and the cut parts from Kludge were good quality at a resonable price.

Deranged
08-18-2009, 08:31 PM
Yup, every part CAN be made, with alot of patients and time. I did prolly 85% of all my flat work as of now. have fun...

1bad67
08-18-2009, 10:26 PM
Yup, every part CAN be made, with alot of patients and time. I did prolly 85% of all my flat work as of now. have fun...

Great, thats what I needed to know. It's nice to know there is a good supplier of parts, but when a person (me for example) has access to the tools to do it themself, it makes a difference on what plans I purchase. R82s or R16...

Gene
08-18-2009, 11:34 PM
Look at the specs for both cars. I have the R82 and it's a stubby little race car. With a Jeffco in it I could shoot any trail or turn at the Oregon Dunes as long as the trail was wide enough.

With a Jeffco the R16 would be fun too and would be more stable in the whoops - IMO - based on my longer wheelbase car. My next ground-up build will be the R11, essentially a one seat R16. It will have a differential for turning brakes.

Where will you use it? What do you like to do with these cars?