PDA

View Full Version : Barracuda...first build- need help please!

racefan35
07-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Just purchased a set of plans for the Barracuda. I'm planning on using a GSXR1100 motor as my powerplant, my question is: What is the best route to go as far as setting up a reverse gear on this machine? Can it be done without attaching an unsightly starter to the flywheel? Also, I'm looking for the North American conversions for all the measurements and pipe sizes required in this build. If anyone has this information available and would be willing to share, it would be much appreciated...just thought I could save a few hrs. Thanks in advance fella's!

Vernon

rowycoracing
07-03-2009, 11:29 AM
There are some F-N-R gear boxes out there that many people use. Look at places like RPM (rpmgearboxes.com) and Stak 4x4 (STaK (http://www.stak4x4.com/1_products.htm)) to see just a couple of the options. There are more like Jeffco as well. One downside is that an F-N-R like that is going to cost you around $2,000 to $2,500, even more for the Jeffco. Another idea is to check out the thread on here by "arrowhead". He uses a front wheel drive transmission out of a Honda, cuts it down and splices it in with good reported success.

Good luck with the build. These buggies are a real blast to drive!

racefan35
07-03-2009, 01:07 PM
There are some F-N-R gear boxes out there that many people use. Look at places like RPM (rpmgearboxes.com) and Stak 4x4 (STaK (http://www.stak4x4.com/1_products.htm)) to see just a couple of the options. There are more like Jeffco as well. One downside is that an F-N-R like that is going to cost you around $2,000 to $2,500, even more for the Jeffco. Another idea is to check out the thread on here by "arrowhead". He uses a front wheel drive transmission out of a Honda, cuts it down and splices it in with good reported success.

Good luck with the build. These buggies are a real blast to drive!
Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely check those out...the "front wheel" option seems to be the most logical, cost effective way to do this from what I can see. I'll post some pics when I start tacking things together. Thanks again!

The Kar Audio Guy
07-03-2009, 01:17 PM
Contact Doug Heim on this site or DTSfab.com about parts and FNF