PDA

View Full Version : Brake proportioning valve selection

andy777bmx
04-30-2009, 09:42 PM
So I am looking at two different types.

Here is one on ebay that has a max pressure of 1000PSI (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DISC-BRAKE-ADJUSTABLE-PROPORTIONING-VALVE-KNOB_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33564QQihZ017QQite mZ270382287353QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)

Here is one from summit that has a max pressure of 3000PSI (http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM-G3905&N=700+115&autoview=sku)

Do you think the 1000PSI one is sufficient? I am running two quad style spindles in the front with brakes and one honda street motorcycle brake caliper in the rear. I wanted to install this on the rear brake line to be able to adjust. The buggy is a "panther" size.

The ebay one is $10 cheaper and was wondering if the summit one is overkill or if I should go for it to be safe.

Also my brake master cylinder is 3/4" and was planning on putting a tee right out of it so that it goes to the front and rear. The front will have two braided lines running to the front brakes of equal length. The rear would be a longer braided line with the proportioning valve and a "brake lock (push button style)" somewhere in that line. Do you see any issues with this setup?

Thanks!

Andy-

plkracer
04-30-2009, 09:51 PM
I have the one from jegs and I am very happy with it. It is all black, and I think it looks better than the summit one, but it does a nice job of varying the pressure between the front and back. Personally, I would go with the summit one. For 10 dollars more you are guaranteed to be safe, even though you should not see 1000 psi on these buggies.

plkracer
04-30-2009, 09:53 PM
BTW, the ebay one, it's not 1000 max psi. It will drop it up to 1000 psi.

andy777bmx
04-30-2009, 10:01 PM
I'm assuming the ebay one is the one from jegs? Thanks for your input. I think 10 bucks might be worth it for the summit one as well...

plkracer
04-30-2009, 10:02 PM
I'm assuming the ebay one is the one from jegs? Thanks for your input. I think 10 bucks might be worth it for the summit one as well...

No, that's not the one from jegs. It's probably some cheaper aftermarket unit.

Here's the jegs unit

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/63020/10002/-1

Little more money, but I already had a big order coming from them.

andy777bmx
04-30-2009, 10:30 PM
Maybe I'll go with the jegs one. I like the black finish as well. Do you see any issues with my current set up plan described earlier? Thanks.

Gotted
04-30-2009, 11:16 PM
My buggy is a panther and Iím using the same two quad style spindles in the front and a R1 street bike rear brake. Have you looked at the jamar adjustable pedal setup that uses two master cylinders. That is what I used on my first panther and it works perfect. Iím going to use the same setup on my current build.This is the link: Buggy Throttle,Cable Brakes & Hydraulics - Page 2 (http://www.dansperformanceparts.com/buggy/tcbh/buggytcbh2.htm)
(Jamar Single Pedal Assembly with Dual master cylinders with black power coated or chrome.)

plkracer
04-30-2009, 11:17 PM
Maybe I'll go with the jegs one. I like the black finish as well. Do you see any issues with my current set up plan described earlier? Thanks.

Should work just fine. Put the line lock after the bias valve though. I have my bias valve on the front brakes since they are a lot stronger. I only have a single piston in the rear.

punkur67
04-30-2009, 11:50 PM
I ran a tee looking up out of the master with the brake switch looking up and a 90 out of the bottom. From that 90 i put my residual pressure valve, then it goes to a tee. That tee splits to my front flexes (36" long each) and to hard lines to my proportioning valve. I then ran hard lines back to my tortion housing. I put a tee in with 2 40" flexes that run down my tailing arms. All of this is on a 3/4 master and it works great.

vidio1
05-01-2009, 08:45 AM
Gotted if possible you might want to rotate your rear caliper mount so the bleeder valve is facing up. It's going to be difficult bleeding your brakes without placing the valve at the highest point. Just a suggestion....

Bugpac
05-01-2009, 08:50 AM
I have the same one that summit has for 34.00 just has a different name on it, I have brake hoses fittings and everything else as well..

jjstime
09-13-2011, 08:46 PM
I'm helping friend build buggy. I've worked on road cars, not off-road.Do I assume to use 1/4 " copper line for chassie,flex stainless to calipers ? Need proportion valve.Only want rear brakes now,possible front in future.Buggy weighs about 1500 lbs..